BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many things need to be removed to access the clutch bleed and the ABS bleeders on an 00 LT? I have done the front and rear already (looked like weak coffee) but am having a heck of a time even locating them. Which resevoir feeds the ABS?

Do I need to remove the side tupperware?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Kirk,
The clutch bleeder is zip-tied under the right side tip over wing. You'll need to remove the two covers over the wing and the lower right side tupperware. You'll see the line under the trailing edge of the bracket.

To do the ABS unit, the left side battery cover needs to be removed. I've read that it's possible to remove it without taking off the large upper panel. I haven't found that I wanted to bend things enough to get to the screws, so I just take the upper panel off too. Allows a little more room to access the ABS unit. The front nipple will bleed without needing to squeeze the lever. Open the nipple 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and let gravity take effect. This won't work for the rear. You'll have to open and close the nipple with each pump of the brake pedal.

If you've not had the tupperware off yet, go slowly and observe where the screws go and the lengths. I think you can find details in the Hall of Wisdom.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Lee510 said:
Kirk,
To do the ABS unit, the left side battery cover needs to be removed. I've read that it's possible to remove it without taking off the large upper panel. I haven't found that I wanted to bend things enough to get to the screws, so I just take the upper panel off too. Allows a little more room to access the ABS unit. The front nipple will bleed without needing to squeeze the lever. Open the nipple 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and let gravity take effect. This won't work for the rear. You'll have to open and close the nipple with each pump of the brake pedal.
Why would you bleed (00=ABS2) unit? You can do it "traditionally" from wheel cylinders? Of course if somehow there would be air in the unit, but not under normal circumstances.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,108 Posts
During a flush operation there is no need to open the ABS bleed ports as all the fluid you already flushed has passed through the ABS unit. The only time you need to open them is if air has been introduced. These are at the top of a very small chamber that holds very little fluid and it get flushed during the normal flush at the calipers.

Note this is only for the pre 2001 ABS II units not the integral units with the linked brakes.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
As usual, John Z is correct here! I have never bled the ABS Unit, even though I have flushed both front and rear systems many times since buying her new in 2000! That is the beauty of our early machines! Plus we don't have that annoying Servo whine that the Integral units do!

John
jzeiler said:
During a flush operation there is no need to open the ABS bleed ports as all the fluid you already flushed has passed through the ABS unit. The only time you need to open them is if air has been introduced. These are at the top of a very small chamber that holds very little fluid and it get flushed during the normal flush at the calipers.

Note this is only for the pre 2001 ABS II units not the integral units with the linked brakes.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,108 Posts
It would not hurt to put some tubing on the front ABS bleeder and let a small amount of fluid out just to make sure there is no air trapped in there. But if you have good pressure and feel on the lever I would not worry.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
jzeiler said:
John,
That is what the BMW shop manual says, but what if proper maintenance hasn't been performed? When I bought the 2000 in July '07, the brake fluid was darker than iced tea. I flushed the brakes right away. In May of '08, I had the first fault of the ABS system. Part of trying to correct the condition was flushing the heck out of the braking system. While I was at it, I flushed the ABS unit and there was a small amount of very dark fluid at both nipples. There couldn't have been much, maybe 2" of dirty fluid in the tubing from each nipple. Having the ABS unit out as many times as I did over the next year, I had to bleed the unit each time. Since this was such a short time span, I had no issues with dirty fluid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts