BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear forum,
I'm quiet new to my RT and observed a very concerning issue. I drove to work last week with unusual heavy traffic. It was not so hot day (around 22C).
After about 30 minutes riding very slowly mostly in 1st gear the temperature bar started to climb slowly to the top notch. After 10 more minutes the warning light started to flash randomly. Fortunately the jam was released and I arrived to work. The same day afternoon I went to the BNW dealer for a diagnostics however he said nothing is wrong. Odometer is 4500km and computer showed nothing unusual. Just for the experiment I picked another very hot day (32c) and run the engine idle for 30 minutes. The temp bar was steady like a rock in the middle. However when started to ride slowly and put much effort on clutch (In and out many times) - temperature started to rise like in the first day. Anyone can explain this? How the clutch can possibly cause overheating while engine running idle with no cooling wind whatsoever has no affect and engine temp. stays perfectly OK. Any solution if you are familiar with this issue?
Appriciate your replies and help.
Gabi.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't believe it to be clutch related, it's loading the engine without much air flow.
It is an air/oil cooled engine and without airflow this is the result.

This can also happen if you hold the engine at high RPM's without moving as in checking/adjusting the TB sync. This is the reason a fan is placed in front of the bike when doing this check.

The choices you have are to pull over until traffic thins or add a cooling fan to the oil cooler.

If you use dino oil you might want to change it, an overheat can bake it.

If it was dark out you would see the head pipes glowing a nice shade of orange.

·
Registered
989 Posts
New2rt said:
I don't believe it to be clutch related, it's loading the engine without much air flow.
It is an air/oil cooled engine and without airflow this is the result....
+1. "They all do it". In other words, a fact of life for an air-cooled motor. If the OP cannot accept that, time to get a K-bike.

By the way, my own moment of truth came in a 34-mile (yes) tie-up on New York State Thruway. Even though I knew the drill, it was very disconcerting to see the pegged temp indicator and the engine warning light...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I had my first high temp pull over 2 weeks ago on I 24? in TN. HWY closed from bad wreck so I pulled over to let it cool down. 3 times. :rolleyes:
It will happen to every owner eventually. :eek:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow I can really appreciate having the ability to "split lanes" here in CA...legally...

I ride my bike to work five days a week now since fuel prices are at up $4.00+ and traffic is part of our way of life especially here in SoCal and so far have not experienced some overheating issues...crossing my fingers though...

DC
--------
09 RT
09 Ultra

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I have heard of two RT's catching fire from being left to idle. One specifically the guy left it to warm up, went to have coffee, forgot about the bike. The oil window failed blew oil on the hot bike and poof. I too have been caught in unrelenting traffic jams and had high temperatures created. I plan one day (always seems I have something else for my money to do) to install the police fan on the oil cooler. It is only about $250 complete.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was stuck in a traffic jam for quite awhile and my RT overheated as well. I changed the oil the next day, just to be sure I didn't ruin it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Beech! What is the labor (time wise) to tackle that? I am guessing that the $250 complete is parts only. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
timbotc said:
Hey Beech! What is the labor (time wise) to tackle that? I am guessing that the $250 complete is parts only. Thanks!
Also, how did your "switch" options work out? I would consider a small bar mounted switch, but I don't know how to best accomplish this so it looks custom so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
Supraman66, I spoke to the dealer. You can go with the stock RTP setup. There is a auto switch that is hooked to the drain plug( I think, don't quote me on that)! I think I will go with a manual switch. That way I can put on the fan before the heat gets up there. If I get stuck in traffic for an extended length of time I can just switch it on. I think the dealer can reccomend you a stock switch to work for the job!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
You purposely let an air cooled engine idle for 30 minutes with no airflow?
Could have been an expensive test.
Even doing service a fan is blowing over it.

Glad it worked out.

Terry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts