BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much thought, I finally bought the JMCB2003-DU. The folks at Sierra (not BMW in Nevada, although they're upstanding too) were very nice. Now I'm getting my nerve up to installing the thing. It should arrive in time for a weekend project. That is, if no babies have the nerve to get sick this weekend when I'm on call. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated from anybody who has installed this on their own bike.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
CB antenna?

Did you get a CB antenna? If you have the BMW CB antenna, make sure you scrape the paint from the area on the CB antenna mount where the mounting bolts make contact. This will ensure you have a good ground.

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
neodoc said:
I finally bought the JMCB2003-DU.
I have the BMW badged version on my '04 and run it through the BMW badged J&M comm system (commonly referred to as the BC3). I broke it into two tasks and approached them separately. Start to finish for each is a couple of hours or less.

If yours is similar to this arrangement, and since you bought it through BMW I suspect it is, then it shouldn't be too tough. The directions should confirm the below outline.

I did mine in two steps; the CB and the antenna.
For the CB:
1- remove the left handlebar cover
2- remove the left side-panel

After mounting the CB, run the cables down the handlebar cable guides. The hardest part of the whole thing is getting the relatively large connector ends through the slots at the base of the handlebars. Once you do that it's all down hill from there.

On the J&M comm system you simply plug the matching connectors together with the CB connector (only one connection). The CB had a second connector that does not, at least on my comm system, plug into anything. The last cable is the antenna. Run it in the space between the gas tank and the stingray and then down under the drivers seat and tie wrap it.

For the antenna:
1- remove the pillion
2- remove the top case
3- remove cover under top case
4- if yours is the same as mine, notch the panel for antenna bracket (it's a mirror of the radio antenna pattern and easy to do with a coping saw/dremmel etc.)
5- connect the ground straps
6- mount antenna and tie wrap cable
7- connect the two ends of coax cable toward the front of the driver seat and your done.

When I took the bike in for service I asked them to put an SWR meter on it to confirm it was tuned properly. It was without adjustment.

Good luck.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Rspyder, I did get the BMW antenna, so I'll check the paint at the base. Bill, thanks for the detailed walk thru. Sounds like I have my work cut out for me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Neodoc,

I have installed two of these J&M CBs. One on an R1200CLC, one on an FJR. For some reason the FJR went a lot smoother, but I digress.

On the CLC, I had a significant amount of engine and alternator whine when I first hooked it up. J&M recommended that I get my power source from the tail light. For good measure I also installed a noise filter from Radio Shack. This got the noise and whine down to a very tolerable level, but you can still just barely hear it when sitting still.

BTW... The FJR never had this problem at all.

So my tips... Get your power source from the tail light. Ground the system to the frame (according to my Electrical Engineer father-in-law this will prevent ground loop interference... whatever that is). Install a quality in-line noise filter.

Other than that, just take your time. It's pretty easy if you just think about what you're doing and not rush through it.

Good luck to you!

Bill B.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
JMCB install instructions

These are the instructions with pictures. They are in microsoft word format.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just installed my J&M CB 2003 last weekend

It was a bit fussy, you need to take off the left side cover. I bought the BMW antenna and installed it on my new 2005 LT, no need to remove the grounding paint it was unpainted in these areas from the factory. The antenna coax will be a bit short, so you will need a jumper and adapter for the PL259 on one end of the jumper. I mounted mine on the handlebars and used a dremel to shape a hole in the plastic handlebar cover.

stongly recommend the pagefrom the manual on the side cover removal and top case. The top case has two hidden catches to trip to get the liner out.

It took be three hours going slow and taking it easy. The radio hums and whistles something awful, the BMW alternator and or fuel pump are real screamers for noise, the J&M filter is useless, same problem on my wife's V Star 1100, worst radio i have ever owned, and the price is a shame. I'm a amateur radio operator and used to far better for less $.

If you like I can email a photo of the finished install.

I am yet to tune the antenna, will hit it with an analyser thius weekend.

Bruce Colman

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Bruce,
I have no noise on my JMCB CB and very little hum when I am listening to the sound system. You can only hear a slight hum when the optional input is off. You need to be careful where you route the lines for power and the headset. mine go under the tank.

At one point on the trip across the US, I turn the squelch all the way down and did not get noise/signal. I never knew there were such dead spots in the country.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Joe,

I bought my used 2005 a few months ago and the J&M was already installed on it. It has a definite alternator whine, which I haven't taken the time to fix. This is heard through the headset whenever the engine is running and the J&M unit is on. I don't know how mine is wired. I did buy the noise filter from Radio Shack and hope to install it sometime soon. I would suggest getting one and see if it helps before you put all the plastic back on. Then let me know. I hate taking that stuff off.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have the J&M system on my 05, the only time I hear any noise is with the squelch turned up. With the squelch turned down there is no whine, hum, or anything. I tapped power from a switched fuse under the seat & used the noise filter supplied with the kit by Sierra. The only change I made was bending the mounting bracket just a little so when I key to talk I don't hit the hazard flasher button. The system works great, I also have my GPS audio & cell phone connected to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts