BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum so hello. My name is Mark and I bought my very first BMW this weekend. She is a 99 K1200LT with 49,000 miles. I have no service records so I'm going to treat it like nothings been done for a while. I changed the rear oil (a little dirty, no metal on the magnet), I'm changing the spark plugs, engine oil and tranny oil this weekend.

If this was your bike what work would you do next? I'm really excited and thanks in advance for any input.

Peace
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
177 Posts
Brake fluid. General recommendation is to flush annually.
My '00 with 38k looked like ice tea, should be clear.
jrh
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
Well let me be the first to say...WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO NOW!!!! :D (sorry, flash backs from the wife! :wave )

Congrats and welcome to the family, were all a bit jaded and for the most part deranged. But we're good at giving out antidotal technical information that may or may not help with any given situation.

With the above-cited disclaimer fully read by you…I’d suggest the following…

All the fluids (oil, gearbox, final drive, clutch and brakes). You have two reservoirs (front and back) Check the brake lines. If they are the original rubber ones order some steel braided ones for change out later. Check the brake pads and disks for wear and/or damage. While you are at the rear, loosen the ss clamp forward of the rubber boot on the final drive. You will be checking for fluid. There is not supposed to be any fluid in and around the drive shaft, but if there is a little don’t stress too much. A little means you have to keep an eye on it as you have a seal going out. It’s either the gearbox or final drive. I changed my final drive fluid to Royal purple to find out which one was leaking on my ’00. If you have alot (more than a few TBS worth, you be in trouble :soapbox: ) These are “non-evasive” (yes, I can use big words) in that you do not have to remove the Tupperware. Get a Chalmers or repair manual (PM me with you email and I’ll send it to you) you can dive in for the radiator and air box. While I do not use a K&N, its your choice, with all the constrictions on the airbox, both before and after the filter, I do not see the merit. (sorry Michael) Check the tires for cracks as well…

Note: the gear box takes a 14MM hex bit… Can be a bugger on some bikes, maybe not yours! Don’t drain the oil with the drain bolt, just remove the oil filter cover!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,404 Posts
Hi Mark,
congrats on the bike. IMO you have a great bike. Later model "improvements" are not really that great. Linked and assisted brakes you can do without, the change in steering geometry supposed to improve low speed handling seems to make the bike more sensitive to wheel imbalance and more prone to headshake.... I wouldn't trade my 2000 for a newer one.
What to do? Keep it simple, BMW specifies a BMW "Inspection" every 12K miles. Since the bike is new to you and you don't know the serice history, I'd just do everything on that list.
Going from memory that includes crankcase, tranny, and final drive oil changes.
Air, fuel, oil filter, sparkplug changes.
Valve check and adjustment if needed.
Brakes are supposed to be flushed annually as is the coolant.
Because lots of fairing parts need to be removed (referred to as Tupperware around here) and the gas tank needs to be removed you'll want to do the air and fuel filters, and valve check at the same time. Coolant change is also easier with the gas tank off.
I got a BMW service manual before the Clymers aftermarket became available. By most accounts the Clymers is quite good.
http://www.clymer.com/SearchResults.aspx?t=k1200lt&
I get my service stuff from BeemerBone yard or local BMW dealer.
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/maki.html
The boneyard has the Clymer's manual too.
I use all stock stuff, I'll let other argue the merits of other, better or cheaper air and oil filters (splitting hairs and not worth the trouble IMO).
Lots of data going back years on this site. You do have to sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak though.

RamseyMS said:
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum so hello. My name is Mark and I bought my very first BMW this weekend. She is a 99 K1200LT with 49,000 miles. I have no service records so I'm going to treat it like nothings been done for a while. I changed the rear oil (a little dirty, no metal on the magnet), I'm changing the spark plugs, engine oil and tranny oil this weekend.

If this was your bike what work would you do next? I'm really excited and thanks in advance for any input.

Peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Mark, welcome to the LT community and congrat on your new (to you) bike. I have a 99LT too and it has been a great bike. With 49k you still have a lot of potential on yours. I do not have much to add to Shoswell's and Charlievt's excellent advises other than to say that if you treat your LT well she will reward you. The fact that you did not get any metal shaving in the FD is good. That means you do not have to be concerned with a soon coming FD failure. Some of the must do improvements I did on mine and which greatly improved the riding experience are additional lighting (the stock LT lighting is pathetic) and disconnecting the air box sensor to get rid of the engine hesitation at low RPM when weather is hot but all of these may have been done on yours already. On this forum you will always find an answer to any question you may have about your LT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
"My name is Mark and I bought my very first BMW this weekend" and everyone stands up and says, "Hi Mark".

Am I the only one that thinks this sounds like the beginning of a 12 step program? Are we all that bad? Should I be seeking help? :histerica
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
Good advice from everyone on here Mark. You'll find that there's not many things someone doesn't know the answer to. If your machine has quick-connects on the fuel lines (sometimes added to the 99s, standard on later years) make sure that at least the male half is metal. The plastics can fail under pressure and spew gasoline on your leg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
Good advice from everyone on here Mark. You'll find that there's not many things someone doesn't know the answer to. If your machine has quick-connects on the fuel lines (sometimes added to the 99s, standard on later years) make sure that at least the male half is metal. The plastics can fail under pressure and spew gasoline on your leg.
+1 on the QD's. they WILL fail.
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,175 Posts
Chances are your 99 does not have any fuel quick disconnect couplers, just a piece of tubing. To keep fuel from coming out when you remove the tank you can use a vise-grip and place a couple of pennies around the fuel hose to prevent any damage. Neat trick I learned here.
One piece of advice: don't try to start the bike if your battery is low or you might solder the starter relay contacts. This was a typical issue with the early LTs.
Also, if it hasn't already been done, disconnect the air temperature sensor at the airbox. You should do this while the tanks is out. This will prevent the hot weather hesitation that plagued the early models such as your. An easy and free fix!:)
My first LT was also a 99 and I enjoyed it tremendously, as I am sure you will enjoy yours!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
zippy_gg said:
Also, if it hasn't already been done, disconnect the air temperature sensor at the airbox. You should do this while the tanks is out. This will prevent the hot weather hesitation that plagued the early models such as your. An easy and free fix!:)
My first LT was also a 99 and I enjoyed it tremendously, as I am sure you will enjoy yours!

Isn't this the Brown Wire fix? Cut the brown wire under the top case? Don't some people put a switch in place so they can turn it on in the winter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Hi Mark & welcome to the site.
I too have bought a 99 LT a few months ago with 13,000 miles on it and no service history.
I do all my own service work to my bikes, but in this case I sent it to the BMW dealer for a full check over and a 12,000 mile service. The cost was € 980 which included a new steering damper. I felt it was worth it, as it satisfied me that the bike was not involved in an accident and is now to BMW standard. From now on I will do all the maintaince work myself.
Enjoy the ride
Derek
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
rab1967 said:
Isn't this the Brown Wire fix? Cut the brown wire under the top case? Don't some people put a switch in place so they can turn it on in the winter?
The earlier model LT's did not have a "Brown wire" to cut, so the cure for the hot weather hesitation on them was to unplug the Air Box Temp Sensor. And, yes, some (like myself) did put a switch in series just so we would not have to fish around up in the fairing for the plug in case we wanted to put it back to the cold weather conditions.

John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,415 Posts
RamseyMS said:
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum so hello. My name is Mark and I bought my very first BMW this weekend. She is a 99 K1200LT with 49,000 miles. I have no service records so I'm going to treat it like nothings been done for a while. I changed the rear oil (a little dirty, no metal on the magnet), I'm changing the spark plugs, engine oil and tranny oil this weekend.

If this was your bike what work would you do next? I'm really excited and thanks in advance for any input.

Peace
Hi Mark,
I too have a 99. I've done all the things on your list, but not all that's been appropriately suggested so far. Being a 10 yo bike, there's probably been one-of-everything repaired/replaced/disconnected or meticulously dealt with. So, I have no idea the order that the suggested 24k service items need to be done, but I thought that was a great suggestion to begin the task. PM me if you have any questions.
Have you been to this site's "Hall of Wisdom "? Great place to get a better idea of what this bike is all about.

Have fun,
Jer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Guys thanks for the welcome!! :wave I replaced the spark plugs and changed the oil this evening. I will take a look at the final drive boot tomorrow evening. So my first boo boo with the new 2 me bike... I was trying to shift to neutral and one of the shifter linkage ball joints broke. Apparently no one has been greasing or tightening the ball joints.

Ordering replacement ball joint, clip and felt washer for $5.00 will be a week out. Thats alright though I'm going to go over her with a fine tooth comb.

So I noticed this evening the bike was producing a bit of white smoke and the concrete under the exhaust was damp. Should I be overly concerned? (I'm hoping it isn't water in the exhaust).

Thanks for all the input and yes "Keep coming back it works if you work it lol)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
RamseyMS said:
Guys thanks for the welcome!! :wave I replaced the spark plugs and changed the oil this evening. I will take a look at the final drive boot tomorrow evening. So my first boo boo with the new 2 me bike... I was trying to shift to neutral and one of the shifter linkage ball joints broke. Apparently no one has been greasing or tightening the ball joints.

Ordering replacement ball joint, clip and felt washer for $5.00 will be a week out. Thats alright though I'm going to go over her with a fine tooth comb.

So I noticed this evening the bike was producing a bit of white smoke and the concrete under the exhaust was damp. Should I be overly concerned? (I'm hoping it isn't water in the exhaust).

Thanks for all the input and yes "Keep coming back it works if you work it lol)
The smoke under the exhaust is a well documented little nitch about the K engine...what has happened is, when you pull up and park, you are resting it on the side stand. Give it about 30 seconds upright, after you kill the engine to drain what oil is accumulated in the piston skirts..........When you have started your bike after having set it on the side stand without letting it drain, what oil is there has to burn off..............

Other than that, ...........go out and learn how to optomise that sweet inline 4 and Telelever and Paralever combination..............let it all scream into your soul and learn to fly........... :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm the bike has been on the center stand for the past few days. I'll keep an eye on it to if it stops. It may just be the dew point here in Florida (pretty humid tonight). Arrrrhg I can't wait to ride it :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
RamseyMS said:
Hmmm the bike has been on the center stand for the past few days. I'll keep an eye on it to if it stops. It may just be the dew point here in Florida (pretty humid tonight). Arrrrhg I can't wait to ride it :)
The other root cause would be the computer, had the bike off the battery? disconnect it for a little to do (whatever)? the computer will regulate the fuel, when the battery is disconnected it wipes the setting and it has to start from scratch.. Search for motronic reset? (brain not working now) it will clear, don't worry.! :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,883 Posts
I agree with just about everything stated above and emphasis "stock" replacements as opposed to a lot of similar but equal or better new solutions. There are a lot of things I have questioned about this bike, but later find justified. I've got 42,000+ trouble free miles and I know, compared to many, just getting the bike broken in, and it seems that those who do the most modifying, seem to have to spend the most time fixing! Probably just anecdotal.....

Welcome to the zoo and one tip to this site: Do a search before asking a general question. I am so guilty of this and right after asking a question ( even did a search, but incorrectly) I find the answer in the section below titled, "SIMILAR THREADS."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
The shift linkage balls on the 99' are a problem and not only are there aftermarket products but the post '05 part is sturdier and should last.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top