BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, after all the wonderful advice here, and paying a dealer for a detailed inspection I bought an 02 LTC with 34,000 miles on it. Whole reason was wife likes to ride, but is tired of riding on the back of my Duc ST3.

Haven't taken possession yet, but now I'm getting into it. We want to plan a trip around Lake Superior as soon as weather permits, like late April or early May. Looking at things I want to add now. I did search the forums before posting these, so I hope I am not asking redundant questions.

1. some of the threads list the headlights as being a bit anemic. This is a big deal to me - I like bright lights. I see a number of options including ~$500 upgrade from I think it was Ducati designs. Pros, cons, other lighting options?

2. I am NOT interested in starting an oil thread, but from my Airhead days, we used to use a Moly "M" additive to Trans and rear drive. Any advantage in this with the LT?

3. I am going to need tires soon. Is there a "go to" tire for the bike?

4. I think I want to pull the CD changer. Is there an iPod / iPhone interface available for the '02 radio?

Again, thanks SO much for all the advice - I wouldn't have gone down this road without it!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Welcome to the site, you selected well!

davewrit said:
1. some of the threads list the headlights as being a bit anemic. This is a big deal to me - I like bright lights. I see a number of options including ~$500 upgrade from I think it was Ducati designs. Pros, cons, other lighting options?
No need to spend $500, there are lots of HID upgrades for less than $150. Take a look at one of the sites supporting vendoes

davewrit said:
2. I am NOT interested in starting an oil thread, but from my Airhead days, we used to use a Moly "M" additive to Trans and rear drive. Any advantage in this with the LT?
Read a little on oil, use the one you like/get at a good value. OR read a lot and get to the same place.

davewrit said:
Higher milage seems to be Metzller champ, Bridgestone and Avon seem to be better in the wet and sticker.

davewrit said:
4. I think I want to pull the CD changer. Is there an iPod / iPhone interface available for the '02 radio?
There was a long thread a couple weeks ago that covered this issue, seems the per 2005 ones work better withe that interface.

Finally use the resources here, the technical drop down, Hall of Wisdom and of course the search function will lead you to lots of GREAT information.

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
davewrit said:

3. I am going to need tires soon. Is there a "go to" tire for the bike? Metz for long life.

Again, thanks SO much for all the advice - I wouldn't have gone down this road without it!
First thing to do: Change out the low beam to a HID light. This will be one of the easiest and best things that you can easily do for night time riding. A "searching" will pull up instructions, pictures and How to Do. My 02, eight years ago cost around $100. Today it is easier and cost less. I can email you instructions and pictures from an old file if you can't locate newer info.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DanDiver said:
First thing to do: Change out the low beam to a HID light. This will be one of the easiest and best things that you can easily do for night time riding. A "searching" will pull up instructions, pictures and How to Do. My 02, eight years ago cost around $100. Today it is easier and cost less. I can email you instructions and pictures from an old file if you can't locate newer info.
I'd love instructions if you don't mind - [email protected]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DanDiver said:
BTW: thanks for the support reminder - I just became a paid member!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Ducati Designs no longer makes the LT kit; they stopped a few years ago. If you can find one, go for it! I have one on my bike and I have both lights for low beam, and I replaced both with HID. Between that and my MotoLights, I light up the night.

Look at brighter LEDs for tail/brake light replacement, especially the flashy kind. If you have top case, consider strobing that light as well. Additional rear/side lights round it out. You want to be very visible, especially when decelerating.

I use an Autocom intercom system on my '05, and iPod, Valentine One radar detector, Garmin Zumo 550, phone, and bike to bike GMRS radio all come through it wonderfully. Oh, and I use it as an intercom as well. :))

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
davewrit said:
Okay, after all the wonderful advice here, and paying a dealer for a detailed inspection I bought an 02 LTC with 34,000 miles on it. Whole reason was wife likes to ride, but is tired of riding on the back of my Duc ST3.

Haven't taken possession yet, but now I'm getting into it. We want to plan a trip around Lake Superior as soon as weather permits, like late April or early May. Looking at things I want to add now. I did search the forums before posting these, so I hope I am not asking redundant questions.

1. As others have told you, the HID conversion low beam headlight it the way to go. The previous owner of mine had already done it. Make sure you get the right temperature light because higher temperature DOES NOT mean brighter light. Off the top of my head something in the 4500-6000 K range will give you a white light. Aditional lighting is always good too. Mine already had motolights.

2. Because of the single plate dry clutch your oil choices are more. I happen to use Castrol 20/50 Motorcycle oil because it meets BMW's specs and I can get it cheap at AutoZone and Advance Auto.

3. The key is getting the proper weight rated tires for the motorcycle. I got nearly 14,000 on a Bridestone BT020 rear and only replaced it because a puncture repair had begun to leak. The best tire combo I personally found for my riding is the Bridgestone BT020 rear and Metzeler front. I didn't get many miles on my BT020 front tire for some reason.

4. We found we weren't listened to all that much music so I pulled my CD changer out last year for more room in the side case. A real easy job.

I know opiniona are like a certain body part and your expericnce may vary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As for tires - I run Avon on my RS & some run them on LT's but Avon does not make a tire rated for an LT - I called them so I put Metzlers on my LT.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The more lights the better. Having seen many different combos in my riding groups, Not sold on HID for visiblity by other dirvers, might be good for the rider but just not sold, many people are, an extra set of say PIAAs or Moto lights makes you look like a diesel train coming down the road, worth the money for daytime usage and night.

If you have a cassette player, its as simple as the adapter cassette to you mp3 or ipod or?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts