BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made the plunge and bought a used 1150 GS today. Will pick it up next weekend. Now the household will have 2 bikes cuz I'm keepin the LT, one for the dirt & one for the road.

I'm lookin forward to getting out on trails that I've been passing by with the LT.

Tom

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
[jealousy]You suck.[/jealousy]

Seriously, enjoy the new wheels.

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol...

Thanks Ken. Based on your response I'm gonna have to ride out to OXN just to rub it in.

Tom

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
Congratulations!!!!! :D

From what I've heard from other GS'ers, you're gonna love that bike!:cool:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Congrats! The GS is awesome. I bought a GS Adv last December and have put 15k on it since. Am going to Vegas on Tuesday night and plan to be back by Sunday. 4000 miles. Am going to Dallas in early November. 2000 miles. Can't wait.

You probably already know about this site, but you should visit www.advrider.com to get ideas/etc.

:)

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Well, there is this old fire road that leads from Solvang over the mountains to the coast above Santa Barbara. I tried it on the LT once, but turned around at the fourth water crossing where the road was 2/3rds washed away, on a muddy uphill left-hander, as it was getting very dark. It was fun up until that point though. :D

I just kept thinking "I need a GS." I'm sure that I'll pick one up eventually.

And I agree http://www.advrider.com/ is a great site. Just be warned, if you go into some of the ride tales you could get stuck there for days, or even longer.

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This decision is sounding better by the moment

I just love the idea of exploring LT inacessible roads. I think the guy that is selling the GS would freak out if he knew what I have in mind. He freely admitted that he details both of his cars every week. And, his gs is the only one I'm familiar with that has a bra on the tank. Poor bike's been babied.

Tom

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Great move Tom!

I do believe there are a lot of us out here in LT land that are just about to pull the trigger on a GS. :) I know I am. :D

Wish they came with 'Cruise Control' though! :sleep:

Enjoy the GS and we expect many outta-the-way ride reports!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Congrats on the bike. I'm sure you're going to enjoy this trusty "do anything" steed.

Went riding in the foothills today with a mixed bag of other bikes, including a couple RT's and such. I was on the GS. The great road we were on turns to dirt on the section shown on the attached map. It climbs a bunch with gravel/dirt and switchbacks as shown. They decided to turn around and backtrack. I went on up. Thats what its for, isn't it?! :)

I suggest if you are going to do a bunch of dirt, use the TKC 80's. They are a bit short on mileage (about 5-6k on the front), but thats not bad for knobbies. They really help stabilize the front on this heavy (for dirt) bike.

(If I lived in hurricane country, I'd have a GS with a large set of wire cutters...in case I had to evacuate!)

Attachments

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the support

Thanks everyone for the support on the 1150 GS acquisition. Its a fun bike! I've ridden it in earnest only once since getting it. (I wanted to do some basis maintenance on the bike before getting into it.) What a change from the LT. Running the twisties was just flat out fun. I have to admit though that the lack of creature comforts/farkles is a bit of a drag.

I'm hoping today to get out on a mountain trail for a while and explore. I'm glad I got the bike.

Tom

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Tom_Becker said:
Thanks everyone for the support on the 1150 GS acquisition. Its a fun bike! I've ridden it in earnest only once since getting it. (I wanted to do some basis maintenance on the bike before getting into it.) What a change from the LT. Running the twisties was just flat out fun. I have to admit though that the lack of creature comforts/farkles is a bit of a drag.

I'm hoping today to get out on a mountain trail for a while and explore. I'm glad I got the bike.

Tom
ah, shoot, you can farkle that thing right up. I just put a 376c on mine.

http://www.titleii.com/images/376c/index.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts