BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Bought a Schuberth C3

18K views 58 replies 29 participants last post by  bikerj 
#1 ·
Well, I'm amazed. I am sure I tried on more than 20 helmets, likely 30, in all my shopping the last couple months. Absolutely nothing had the feel and construction of the C3, at any price.

Ventilation is amazing, I can feel my hair blowing around inside the helmet at anything over 30 MPH. (There are channels cut out all over the inside, so even with a proper fit, there are places where your hair is loose.) At a brisk walking speed you can already feel air coming into the helmet, or sitting at a light with a breeze blowing. The visor has a highway mode where it seals tightly, a city mode where it's open just a very tiny bit (less than most other "vent" positions), and a vent position where you have a 1/2" opening.

The noise level is equally excellent. Wind noise is very light at all speeds (well, only tested to about 80). Outside noise is extremely reduced, to where I feel almost like I'm wearing ear plugs. I can't hear the engine at most speeds, or it's just a whirr. I don't think ear plugs will ever be necessary with this lid. I saw a review that gave it a rating of 84db in open air at highway speed, and it's even less with the big windscreen on the LT (below eye level, but pushing a lot of wind up and over).

The interior cloth is ultra-soft and buttery. The tinted shield is much larger than most other helmets, so there are no open areas where sunlight comes through. It includes an already-installed Pinlock anti-fog shield, and it's optically perfect. The strap is the Euro style ratchet type, which although not as nice as a buckle, is obviously far better than the D-rings you get on cheap helmets.

The chinbar mechanism is smooth and easy to use. I thought the Shoei Multitec had a great chinbar system, but this is even better. Easy to open or close with one hand, and since the release is in the center you can use either hand. There is a dual chin seal on the flip-up bar, one permanent skirt and another that is adjustable and removable. This will assure a tight seal and most of your neck being covered no matter what size neck you have.

I've only put about 40 mile on it so far, around town and on the freeway, but I'm thoroughly impressed and would recommend to anyone without reservation (assuming it fits your head shape).

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the review. I'm planning to get one as soon as I can try one on for fit and you helped to justify my decision. I was hesitating because of the price, but if the fit is right, it sounds like a good investment.

#3 ·
Here is my situation. New Lt last year and wanted to go with the Schuberth right off the bat. I already owned the original made in W - Germany . . . black, blaze orange on either side two handed release from 20 years plus. So I did not need convincing. But nobody had it was told by several dealers that because of the dot specs. and frivolous law suits it was no longer brought into the American market. I even read several on line reviews where the only way to get it was through Canada or Europe.

I had considered having a military friend stationed in Germany pick one up and handle the transaction that way oh oh brick wall no way to try it for correct fit.

I ended up going to 3 different shops and doing the 20 something fitting process with the Shoei multitec, bought and installed J&M headset and cord so after 7 C-notes I don't even want to think about the C-3. :mad: I will be doing a burn when just last year I could have gotten it for 500 plus the shipping and having to deal with customs.

I had Shoei before with my Goldwing but open face and nothing like the multitec :) no burn here I'm happy
ride safe

#4 ·
I put 2,500 miles on a C3 in the first 3 days I had it.

It does everything they say. It is noticeably lighter than my C2, and significantly quieter.

I also got the SRC Bluetooth collar, which works just as advertised. It synched with my iPhone in minutes and without hassle. I got 12 hours out of it playing music the whole time and with the occasional phone call.

I haven't tried to synch it to a GPS or another helmet, but I have no worries about that.

The pinlock also works well. I could see fog all around the edges of the shield one chilly morning, but the main area of the screen stayed clear.

My only real complaint is that when you plug it in to charge, it goes into standby mode. 12+ hours is fine for most "normal" rides, but not sufficient for my IronButt adventures.

Also, since the chin bar padding fits quite well, you have to watch where the boom mic ends up every time you close the helmet. That's a minor annoyance with boom mics, but isn't specific to the Schuberth.

I was able to go to a "local" shop, JC Motors, in Irvine, CA and try on several sizes. I ended up one size larger than my C2, but with a perfect fit. To me, that was worth a ride-in to the shop.

Yes, this stuff is quite pricey, but it just plain works.

#5 · (Edited)
I guess I'll be a lone dissenter here. I went to my local BMW dealer ready to love this helmet and buy one. Currently wearing a Shoei Multitec (medium). Well the large was bit too big where I could move the helmet around on my head. The medium was snug but I could not close the chin bar unless I pulled the skirt away with one hand and closed with the other. A royal PITA. With the chin bard closed, the chin skirt pressed up against the bottom of my chin. I took the helmet on and off several times and left it on for several minutes. Uncomfortable as hell. I thanked the parts guy for saving me $700 dollars. Guess I'll stay happy with the Multitec.

#6 ·
If a helmet doesn't fit your head correctly, then none of the other features matter.

I removed the "extra" chin skirt which helps, but the general shape fit me so that worked out. I did have to go up a size though from my C2.

#7 ·
Also, since the chin bar padding fits quite well, you have to watch where the boom mic ends up every time you close the helmet. That's a minor annoyance with boom mics, but isn't specific to the Schuberth.
I put a Sena in mine, and arranged the mic so it's higher and doesn't foul up in the chinbar.

If a helmet doesn't fit your head correctly, then none of the other features matter.
Indeed.

As far as the chin skirt, it should be noted that there are two of them. One is affixed to the helmet permanently, the other is attached with Velcro. It can be removed or adjusted. I removed it and will only use it for cold weather, if at all. Having that one in the stock position did make it very hard to close the chinbar.

I read the documentation yesterday. Turns out it has a five year warranty, an offer to replace it for 1/3 cost if you ever crash it, and a three year service where they inspect it and replace stuff for you. Nice touch.

#9 ·
I have always used Pledge on my faceshields and carry a small can and a microfiber cloth in my tankbag. I only use it on the outside of the faceshield. I've also used Sprayaway Glass Cleaner on them. Sprayaway doesn't contain and amonia of harmful chemicals but again, with the C3, might not be recommended.

However, reading the manual for the C3, that may have to change. I'm going to email Schuberth and get some wisdom from them. I may have to change how I clean my faceshield.

I have time. I'm still using my MultiTech until I get the J&M headset installed in the C3. It goes to them Monday.

I'll post what I hear from the here.

#10 ·
...anyone use Pledge on their visor and windscreen??
I use Honda Polish on the screen and the OUTSIDE of the visor. I guess with the Pinlock, I could use it on the inside with this helmet. You just don't want to use it on a surface with anti-fog coating, like the older Schuberths. I still haven't had to clean the inside of my C3 even after a couple thousand miles, I'm very careful about caring for it.

I'll post what I hear from the here.
That would be useful.

Oh, and after a couple thousand more miles with this helmet, I'm still solidly in love with it.

#13 ·
I also bought a C3 with the SRC-System. I am very pleased with the fit and quality if the helmet. However, after spending a week following directions to connect to my ZUMO 550, I called Schuberth and was told that Garmin is working on fixing some "bugs" in the software and should be available in a few weeks.
I call Garmin and was told in an email:
"the Zumo 550 is compatible with XM and it can receive XM radio as well as XM traffic.
However, you will not be able to hear this via Bluetooth. You can hear it using the mount in your vehicle or if you connect to a stereo system on your bike. The only unit we have that can allow you to hear the XM through Bluetooth is the Zumo 665."
I wish I had known that before purchase. I advise checking with J&M. Anybody know of a solution?

#15 ·
What a difference a month makes.
30 days ago in post #3 I wanted nothing to do with the C3 today I got that opportunity so many talk about went to a new dealer (new thread). Well I tried it on walked around the floor about 5 minutes took it off and slipped it back on a second time looked in the mirror and used the inside shade a couples of times looking into the evening sunlight. Conclusion I wish it was available before my multitec or if I could sell the Shoei I would definitely pop for one of these. I could only imagine what it feels like when actually riding. All rumors about no longer imported now seems a bust.
ride safe :bmw:

#16 ·
jackd said:
Are you getting directions via bluetooth? Or are you just concerned with XM? I am considering the C3 but I only want nav voice via bluetooth.
Good question, I am interested as well. Also would like to know how well you like the system for rider/passenger communication & MP3 music?

#17 ·
I can't answer on the GPS since the unit I have isn't compatible (car unit). However as far as general comms and music, I'm very impressed. The speakers are very high quality, possibly better than the Autocom I had before. The phone sound to the other person isn't as awesome as the Autocom was, but still very good. With the Autocom people would comment that they thought I was calling on a good landline. Now they just say it sounds like any normal cell phone, not great, but usable. Rider/passenger or rider/rider works great. And this was really the reason I went to Sena from the Autocom; we have two bikes, the wife rides her own sometimes and with me sometimes. The kid may ride with either of us. So this means no matter what bikes we're on, "calling" her helmet is one press of the button and his is two. And no need to install a box on every bike we own.

#20 ·
afgrava said:
Sorry I'm late to reply. You can get GPS directions via bluetooth on the C3 using SRC but not XM (ZUMO 550).
Sounds good (no pun intended), I have no interest in satellite radio, just the GPS commands and maybe music via sd card. I have resisted the expense of the Schuberth C3, but the pros are just too compelling. That and I made the mistake of trying one on and all I can say is Wow! It felt so good on my noggin. So now it seems I just need to decide if I want to go with the SRC audio or stay with my Voice Comm system already installed.

#21 ·
The SRC system makes no sense to me. I put the Sena system on my C3. Aside from being nearly 3x the price, the SRC has the microphone in a place where it's annoying to open/close the face, has smaller buttons, won't charge and work at the same time, etc etc.

#22 ·
calvarez said:
The SRC system makes no sense to me. I put the Sena system on my C3. Aside from being nearly 3x the price, the SRC has the microphone in a place where it's annoying to open/close the face, has smaller buttons, won't charge and work at the same time, etc etc.

Interesting and thanks Carlos. I have heard a lot of positive things on the Senna system, but I am not fond of having the bluetooth unit mounted on the outside of the helmet, which is what attracted me to the SRC, as it is installed in the helmet. Perhaps I will just stick with my current Voice Comm/J&M hard wired helmet component system.

#24 ·
In earlier posts I stated that the C3 SRC-System was not able to receive XM from the ZUMO 550 via bluetooth. That is correct. However, if you plug the output of the ZUMO 550 into the MP3 input of the C3 SRC System (same place used to charge the battery) , you can get all voice output from the ZUMO 550, including XM (of course, you need the XM antenna).

#25 ·
Love the helmet! The looks, the fit, the quiet.

But the SRS system function does not fit my needs at all. We ride two up 99+% of the time. If two SRS helmets are paired, and then paired to a GPS (or phone) only the "master" SRS helmet receives the input from the device. Both rider and passenger cannot hear the GPS voice commands (and/or phone/ or other bluetooth-paired device.

It appears this high quality/high priced system is designed for only "one-up" on a bike except for the intercom function.

I get it. If you pair helmets as a two bike intercom, and each bile has GPS paired to the rider's helmet, you only want to hear your own GPS. But for two-up ........

Booooo! Not for us.

Stan Moore
Lake Tahoe

#26 ·
That is the reality with Bluetooth, not specific to the SRC (Cardo). To get what you are looking for, you would need one of the hard wired systems, or if there is such a thing, a GPS which will allow more than one pairing. Not sure why the passenger needs or would want to hear the GPS?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.