BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figuring it's time for new springs at least. Bottomed out going over speed numb about knocked my teeth out. My question is will adjusting the rear spring make that much difference? Rear shock is currently set at the two red dots for 1 up riding. Also I read that when bike is on side stand if it doesn't lean over very far it's a sign your springs or shocks are worn out. I'm always afraid of coming out and seeing it on outs side because it almost sits straight up. I'll crank it up but thinking new springs.

Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
Have you added oil to the spring preload adjuster? You should do that first before cranking it up.

Reactions: gunny and Patric

·
Registered
81 Posts
keeping in mind that this bike has a relatively low payload capacity, you may need to crank up the preload adjuster for the rear. Mine was fairly saggy - I am 240lbs all geared up - and I had to add oil to mine and it worked better cranked up to the 2-up position. With the wife on we basically max out the payload cap and the spring in the bike (53K) is barely adequate but workable. Any additional load and there would be significant rideability issues with it due to sag.

I do have a HyperPro spring sitting here next to me on the desk for when I actually get around to ripping the shock out of there and swapping it. HyperPro assures me their spring will resolve all my problems

I know all too well the harsh and unsettling feeling of hitting hard parts, both straight and in the curves.

- Justin

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Put on the HyperPro springs and don't look back.

Robert

·
Registered
135 Posts
Got new springs on my '99 when Ohlins shocks installed. New springs helped a lot with bottoming on speed bumps, and I no longer have to look for a downhill slope to the left to park on. Replaced at about 180,000 km.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Are you replacing the front spring too?
nope, just the rear. Front seems to be in great shape and nice and stiff so if it aint broke.....

- Justin

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Did you install them yourself? How long did it take? I've watched the video but that's a guy who does it a lot.

Bryan
Yes, it takes about half a day to do both if you fart around some. That is after i made the spring compressor.

If you need my compressor just let me know and cover freight both ways.

Robert

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you know what a shop would charge to put springs on? That would be great I will let you know. I would be sure to return right after I complete the job. I would love to do it all myself.

Springs were shipped today I believe.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Do you know what a shop would charge to put springs on? That would be great I will let you know. I would be sure to return right after I complete the job. I would love to do it all myself.

Springs were shipped today I believe.
Take a ride down to you local independent auto repair shop and ask them for help in either doing it or do they know someone who is able to do it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
cost me 40 bucks here in Oz for both, much easier than doing it yourself

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Springs will be here Tuesday. Pretty jazzed. Went for a ride late last night and really for the first time the bike felt spongie in the rear. Now it just needs to cool down a bit for the work to get done.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, I just stopped at BMW dealership service dept. they told me that the springs cannot be replaced and it would be $600 to just remove the old ones. After I picked myself up off the floor I said goodbye. I checked into it as its 112 outside and hotter in my garage. I'm going to brave the heat.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Wow, I just stopped at BMW dealership service dept. they told me that the springs cannot be replaced and it would be $600 to just remove the old ones. After I picked myself up off the floor I said goodbye. I checked into it as its 112 outside and hotter in my garage. I'm going to brave the heat.
Sounds like they don't want your business. Replacing springs is not a big deal. Tie the center-stand so that it cannot roll forward. Remove the rear shock. Jack up under the engine (use a small plywood pad) then remove the front shock. When you compress the rear shock remember to loosen the grub set screw on the preload adjuster first. Lots of threads and pictures on this site. Then try to find a suspension place to compress the springs and replace with new.

Robert

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
It's bad enough that they charge the kind of money they do, but to lie to people to up the charges is ridiculous.:mad: You should submit a complaint about that dealer. I'm sure the mother company knows the springs are replaceable and that owners know it as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Videos show the front tire removed to replace thr front shock is that necessary? I'm asking before I look for myself.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts