BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body have any experience with the new Bosch Premium Oil filters for the LT's. Almost half the price. I am not at all happy with the cost of my newest oil & filter purchase from my dealer. Total cost for 4 qts oil & 1 filter was $57. My opinion is that's ridiculous. I would like to support my dealership, but with prices like that, they are begging me to go somewhere else.

Beemer boneyard.com has a 6 pack of Bosch Premium filters w/o the crush washer for $43.95 and 6 crush washers + 1 filter cover o-ring for $4.95.

Thats a LOT LESS $$$.

The only way to convince BMW that they charge too much is to stop giving them my money for items that are ridiculously priced.

However, I want to get the right parts and not sacrifice the bike.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Many use these filters with excellent results. BeemerBoneyard is a supporting vendor and would not sell you anything that would harm your LT. Go for the Bosch!

·
Registered
180 Posts
My local BMW wrench told me that (and I forgot the name of the company) the same company that makes the BMW filter makes the Bosch and several others. He believes the two are basically the same on the inside. I'd go with the Bosch unless I wanted to go with an extended drain filter in which I would buy the Amsoil, which costs, at least at my dealer, $1 less than the BMW filter. The dealer has both.

·
Registered
408 Posts
bmwrubbercow said:
My local BMW wrench told me that (and I forgot the name of the company) the same company that makes the BMW filter makes the Bosch and several others. He believes the two are basically the same on the inside. .
It would be interesting if someone could cut open a Bosch to compare to the BMW filter. I've attached some pics of the internals of the BMW filter and was impressed with the quality. It even has a screen mesh to filter the oil that bypasses the filter under high differential pressure conditions. I've cut open many filters and have never seen this feature before. On all other filters, if the bypass opens then unfiltered oil enters the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Bosch open center vs BMW blockage 1" into the center. What is the purpose of the non magnetic detail an inch away from the mounting threads? On the Bosch that I looked over at the VT BMW Rally, it is a straight view to the other end. An ACDelco and Mahle (that I use on other engines) are also open through the center!

·
Registered
408 Posts
wilbar00c said:
Bosch open center vs BMW blockage 1" into the center. What is the purpose of the non magnetic detail an inch away from the mounting threads? On the Bosch that I looked over at the VT BMW Rally, it is a straight view to the other end. An ACDelco and Mahle (that I use on other engines) are also open through the center!
Do you mean this "blockage"?? ie the black thing in the center?

It is the top of the inner bypass filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
wilbar00c said:
I have also noticed the same difference. Both BMW and Amsoil have the inner pass filter (black thing in the middle) whereas BOSCH filter does not have it. I wonder if it effects the proper oil flow??? In addition, Bosch filter seems to be little taller. Any concerns?

·
Registered
408 Posts
MattKas said:
I have also noticed the same difference. Both BMW and Amsoil have the inner pass filter (black thing in the middle) whereas BOSCH filter does not have it. I wonder if it effects the proper oil flow??? In addition, Bosch filter seems to be little taller. Any concerns?
I have never seen a separate bypass filter - like the BMW design - in any Amsoil filter (ora any other filter) that I have cut open. I've probably cut open about 15 different design filters.

I dont see any blockage issues with the BMW filter. There is lots of flow area.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Amsoil has just changed the filter that we used on the LT's The old SMF-122 has been discontinued and replaced with the new "Nanofiber filter". I believe the difference is the filter media.

From Amsoil web site:
Nanofiber Basics
Because the nanofibers in AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Oil Filter media are so small, there are more pores per square inch, allowing for higher dirt-holding capacity and lower pressure drop compared to traditional filter medias. Thinner media fibers produce more uniform pore size distribution, improving the filter’s overall ability to capture and retain particles.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaom.aspx

I may order one and disect it. I post pic's if I do.

·
Registered
408 Posts
amsoilguy said:
Amsoil has just changed the filter that we used on the LT's The old SMF-122 has been discontinued and replaced with the new "Nanofiber filter". I believe the difference is the filter media.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaom.aspx

I may order one and disect it. I post pic's if I do.
Don't bother AmsoilGuy-I've cut one of the new EAo filters open. This is not the specific BMW filter, but likely they are all the same internal design. This one is for Honda vehicles.
The filter design looked pretty good overall. The only issues were that the bypass valve disk was a rough phenolic design and thus would not have a leak-tight seal. This could allow some dirty oil to bypass the filter element. The inner flow tube had less flow area than other filters.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Since we’re talking oil filters, my dealer now carries an oil filter made by HIFLOFILTRO, and it’s priced in the $7 neighborhood. I went to their website www.hiflofiltro.com and they’re a bigger outfit than I expected.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Signman said:
Since we’re talking oil filters, my dealer now carries an oil filter made by HIFLOFILTRO, and it’s priced in the $7 neighborhood. I went to their website www.hiflofiltro.com and they’re a bigger outfit than I expected.
I get real suspicious when a filter mfg does not list how well their filters perform on the industry standard SAE tests. (ie single and multiple pass tests) HIFLOFILTRO has no specs on their web site. Thus one has no idea if it is 60% efficient or 95% or any number in between.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts