BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the first one I have used with another one. I just happened to see a BMW one and looked inside through the screw opening. They look totally different. The BMW has a flap over the opening about 1 1/2 " in while the Bosch is open for about 4". A lot of guys are using the Bosch so what gives with the difference?
I forgot to remove the sticker on the first one but it was still attached when I pulled it after 5,500 miles. The sticker did appear to start to unattach so I removed it from the new one.
The black paint on it was like new.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Did you know you can buy a filter at walmart for 2.98? They actually sell a couple of different brands that fit the LT...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Pretty sure that "FLAP" you see is a by-pass valve should the filter get plugged up oil flow is not disrupted and engine stays alive .... No bypass valve and filter gets restricted engine starves for oil you then get to walk to the nearest pay phone then cry alligator tears on the repair bill for a new engine.

Worse case for sure, but BMW has engineered the filter to have this bypass feature so I have read on past posts :wave

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you know you can buy a filter at walmart for 2.98? They actually sell a couple of different brands that fit the LT...

Part Numbers?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Here's the part numbers I have for oil filters,

Oil Filters
Bosch 72161
Purloator PL 10247
NAPA Gold 1348

·
Registered
679 Posts
Tailwheel said:

Part Numbers?
(Supertech)ST3614-$2.98 (made by champion)
Fram PH6063

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The flap just inside the body of the filter MIGHT be an anti drainback device used to keep the oil from draining out of the filter when the engine is shut off but is not likely to be the pressure relief valve which is located deeper inside the filter.

This site gives the "technical" specs for the 72161 filter. http://www.advanceautoparts.com/1/1/535483-premium-oil-filter-by-bosch-part-72161.html#fragment-2 I just picked the first site that had the info. You will find many other sites with the same info. All filters except possibly the rock bottom priced economy filters have the bypass feature. And even with the rock bottom filters I doubt you could find one to fit the LT that doesn't have the bypass.

One note of interest. The site lists the recommended filter change interval as 3000K miles or as your vehicle guide suggests. I personally think that 3 MILLION MILES is too many and I prefer to change the filter at each 6,000 mile (6K) oil change. When will people stop making this foolish error!!!???

This is a page from the Bosch website: http://www.boschautoparts.com/filters/Pages/DistancePlusOilFilters.aspx There is a neat little touch and show feature for their distance plus filter. The construction of the 72161 would be very similar. The bypass feature is just too basic to leave out of modern filter designs.

Loren

motorhead said:
Pretty sure that "FLAP" you see is a by-pass valve should the filter get plugged up oil flow is not disrupted and engine stays alive .... No bypass valve and filter gets restricted engine starves for oil you then get to walk to the nearest pay phone then cry alligator tears on the repair bill for a new engine.

Worse case for sure, but BMW has engineered the filter to have this bypass feature so I have read on past posts :wave

·
Registered
93 Posts
Probably not a good idea to use a Fram filter in your bike. The ends of the filter element in a Fram are glued to cardboard disks that have been known to turn to mush. When that happens you are looking at a new motor. The Supertech filter is made to the same standards as the Bosch filter. I use the Supertech and have been very pleased. Just an opinion I thought you might like to know.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A friend in the car business says there is a by-pass valve in the Bosch, just at the top/bottom of the filter. So he says no problem with the 72161. I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If your oil filter gets clogged enough to need the bypass valve to work you have more serious problems to worry about.

I don't know if the BMW filter has an anti-drain back valve but it would serve no purpose on our bikes because the filter is inverted. There is no way oil can drain out unless the bike is upside down. Again, a more serious problem.

I've used BMW filters for the last 73k miles but they are pricing me out. I think I'll switch to Bosch or NAPA (Wix).

·
Registered
210 Posts
+1 on staying clear of Fram filters. I used them for years then read some info on them and cut one open to see what all the negative talk was about. After seeing the absolute crap cardboard construction inside I'll never buy another. I've now made it a rule that I don't use a new brand of filter until I've cut one open to see what they are made of. Bosch, BMW, WIX, all on my personal good list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts