BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for boots to replace my Sidi On-Road boots. My choices are based on comfort, warmth, water-proof, and availability locally.
Rev'it: Rival and Apache
Sidi: Canyon
BMW: Santiago, All-Round, Pro-Touring
The Santiago and Apache maybe more off-road than I need.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know of a local distributor for those brands. I've tried on the models in my list and know the size (44).

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I really like the BMW boots. Very comfortable and I just had them resoled. Look like new.

By the way, if you'll do a search, there have been several previous threads on boots. More good information.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The previous threads are for boots not on my list except yours (BMW All-Round).

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
barryRT said:
The previous threads are for boots not on my list except yours (BMW All-Round).

Sorry.... If I had to buy new shoes, I would not hesitate to try another BMW pair. Mine fit like well worn gloves from the moment I put them on. I wear them all the time and they really are comfortable.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Barry are you unhappy with SIDI?
I think that bang for buck thay are hard to beat.
I run a pair of Strada Evo Rain's for the winter/wet weather and a pair of Vertigo Air's for the summer.
I think its a bit like tyre threads, everybody has there own story but I struggle to fault them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are correct about Sidi boots and I would consider buying another pair. My On-Roads have 4 velcro buckles and they are a pain. The new ones have a large one and 2 smaller ones. The BMW boots have a zipper and one can get in and out with less fuss. I'm looking at all my possibilities. I haven't seen a pair of Canyons yet and I don't know if they are velcro and a buckle or a zipper and a buckle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
copilot said:
I've been very pleased with my Cruiserworks boots. Very comfortable to walk in as well as ride, totally waterproof and pretty sturdy construction. www.cruiserworks.com
+1 for Cruiserworks. Between the wife and I, we have 4 pair, 2 of which we have been wearing since ~2001. You can literally stand in a puddle and your feet won't get wet. Not cheap, but worth it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Revzilla's site shows that the Sidi Canyons are velcro.

·
Registered
635 Posts
DanDiver said:
Sorry.... If I had to buy new shoes, I would not hesitate to try another BMW pair. Mine fit like well worn gloves from the moment I put them on. I wear them all the time and they really are comfortable.
They are indeed excellent boots. I got a pair several years ago and really loved how well they fit and how comfortable they were, all day comfortable. When it came time for replacement I went with Oxtar (now TCX), they were very similar in style and comfort but fell a tad short of the BMW, but were not as pricey. My next pair will be the BMW Boots, they were definitely worth the premium in price.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
copilot said:
I've been very pleased with my Cruiserworks boots. Very comfortable to walk in as well as ride, totally waterproof and pretty sturdy construction. www.cruiserworks.com
Minor thread hijack -- the Cuiserworks boots sound well designed. How well do they hold up over time? Specifically, how does the waterpooring hold up? Truth be told, I'm lousy at polishing boots, so if they loose their waterproof-ness if they are not constantly polished/resealed, they won't be able to deal with my tendency toward neglect.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I'm on my second pair of BMW boots. (all around boots)
At the Redmond rally I tried on every boot available there......no good.
Put on a pair of BMW boots........perfect. (you know, how nothing pinches your foot)
The BMW boots are a tad wider than the others, even the Sidi Way mega Rain which purport to be wide, but are wide in the wrong places for my feet.
I only wish I had bought a pair of the Frankenstein (transition) boots before they disappeared......they were just beautiful in their ugliness.......

·
Registered
155 Posts
mneblett said:
Minor thread hijack -- the Cuiserworks boots sound well designed. How well do they hold up over time? Specifically, how does the waterpooring hold up? Truth be told, I'm lousy at polishing boots, so if they loose their waterproof-ness if they are not constantly polished/resealed, they won't be able to deal with my tendency toward neglect.
Have had a pair for 10 years and I believe they have been polished twice. Wear them in the winter as snow boots. Waterproof still going strong.

·
Registered
327 Posts
barryRT said:
You are correct about Sidi boots and I would consider buying another pair. My On-Roads have 4 velcro buckles and they are a pain. The new ones have a large one and 2 smaller ones. The BMW boots have a zipper and one can get in and out with less fuss. I'm looking at all my possibilities. I haven't seen a pair of Canyons yet and I don't know if they are velcro and a buckle or a zipper and a buckle.
Barry the Evo Rains that I wear have a zipper and one long velcro flap that goes over the zipper to keep the water away and the Vertigo's have a zipper and a small velcro flap at the very top to take pressure off of the zipper. Easy on and off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Barry,

I went through the same dilemma a few months ago. I looked at the Rev'it boots but did not like some of the stories I heard about how they held up in the long-term. The BMW branded boots were fine but I could never get a pair that fit just right. I could only find one shop to even look at the Sidi Canyons but they did not carry my size. I also looked at Daytona and Alt-Berg and think they are very solidly made.

In the end, I took a flyer on a pair of Sidis that I got at a good price using a credit I had with Revzilla. I have worn one pair or another from them for 15 or so years and knew they would at least be close. I take a 9.5 or 10 with a fairly wide foot. The Canyons use a pair of hook and loop closures along with a ratchet buckle. It takes less than a minute to get them on or off and they look like a decent pair of boot. Not Power Ranger boots, just normal ones. I've worn them now through heavy Pacific Northwest rain and even some sunny days. I've worn them all day with a lot of walking. The Canyons are boots I can recommend. But it's your feet they need to fit. Find what feels good as all of the makes you listed are pretty decent. Slight caveat on Rev'it from some reviews I read on various boards.

Good luck in your search! :wave

Ian

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I did not want to put my foot in my mouth.
If I can chime in I got a pair of VEGA which are only a season old. Cheap (was broke after 2010 LT) it wore well and was comfy all summer long. One night I stepped in a puddle above the zipper low end and that was it. Now the least bit of water affects it so I have been reading these threads carefully. Anytime I go to a shop I try different brands so I know my size. From all of you I am finding out about durability. My pocket is deep again so I have narrowed my pick to the BMW or Sidi. Just hope they are as comfortable like the Vega 2 zips on each boot and velcro tabs to top them off.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I couldn't justify spending that much money on a single use boot, so just wear my Danners. They're the "uniform" style, waterproof, breathable and insulated. Very comfortable, polish up nicely, and easy to spend long days in, both riding and walking. I believe that they'd hold up well in a crash.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts