BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a Booster Plug (boosterplug.com) on their RT - how do you like it and how does it impact fuel economy? Any negatives that you have observed?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I fitted one.
At first it appeared to work. It took the edge of the throttle response which made gear change and throttle control easier and smoother.
However, over a few weeks I felt the top end or higher rev ranges the bike seemed to vibrate more and not pull as strongly.
I removed it and got a refund.

Also tried the accelerator cable, same thing, Didn't work for my bike. I do seem to be one of the few that had negative results mind.
\v/

·
Registered
60 Posts
If this is in response to my mentioning the “Booster Plug” in the 2007 to 2010 thread I need to make clear that that such devices make very little difference to real world performance, smoothness under acceleration is main benefit. Fuel consumption is typically unaffected because the bike is self tuning under cruise conditions (closed loop operation) so the effect of temperature spoofing devices is nullified. Only under acceleration when the ECU is running open loop will the bike run richer.

If you want a real performance boost Lennies sprockets and or a lower ratio final drive are the way to go.

Lennie's cam sprockets should be first on your list of mods, they give a very noticeable improvement in torque from idle to about 7000rpm, so much so that you can typically run one gear higher than you normally would for any given situation. This is just what the 05-09 RT needs IMHO.

A lower ratio final drive (from an RTP) should be next on you list, you get 5% more performance in any gear at any rpm, that's a real gain you will feel.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies; they were very informative. I really have no complaints with the performance of my '08 RT so I will probably never do any of these type of mods; however, I like to know what really works versus what is marketing hype.

·
Registered
327 Posts
OwenM said:
If this is in response to my mentioning the “Booster Plug” in the 2007 to 2010 thread I need to make clear that that such devices make very little difference to real world performance, smoothness under acceleration is main benefit. Fuel consumption is typically unaffected because the bike is self tuning under cruise conditions (closed loop operation) so the effect of temperature spoofing devices is nullified. Only under acceleration when the ECU is running open loop will the bike run richer.

If you want a real performance boost Lennies sprockets and or a lower ratio final drive are the way to go.

Lennie's cam sprockets should be first on your list of mods, they give a very noticeable improvement in torque from idle to about 7000rpm, so much so that you can typically run one gear higher than you normally would for any given situation. This is just what the 05-09 RT needs IMHO.

A lower ratio final drive (from an RTP) should be next on you list, you get 5% more performance in any gear at any rpm, that's a real gain you will feel.
I have to admit, having read about Lennies Sprockets, that I will likely pop for a set sometime. Most of my riding is under 7k and I prefer Torque to high rev BHP. I don't mind stirring the box to keep the bike on tap but have always bought bikes with a fat torque curve as my preferance.

BTW, I understand the RTP FD is just a GS FD isn't it?
\v/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts