BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Recently placed an order for a service kit with Beemer BoneYard. They put together a collection of sparkplugs, and filters for what seems like a reasonable price.
I have to say their response time to my online order was very good. Seems like a good outfit there. Give 'em a try. I wonder if they supply valve buckets?

On another note:
So what kind of oil should I use? Is it too early to switch to synth? ;)
Does it matter what color anti-freeze I put in there? What is everyone's favorite color antifreeze? Is it okay if my pets drink the old antifreeze? They seem to like it. ;)
How do I drain the transmission ?
Is there a way to tell if my final drive is going to fail?
While I am changing all these fluids, should I change the air in my tires too?
Is there any information about the oil level site glass on this sight?
And what is the recommended procedure for braking in new break pads?
I am thinking of switching to a Harley. Are they better bikes? I hear they can go faster, are more reliable, and are easier to work on.

Oh, never mind...
Sufferin symptoms of PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome) in the deep south of Vermont. It's rain'n on the snow here tday.

Happy New Year everyone!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Hey Charlie, I think you need to move south during the winter, that way PMS won't be so bad and you can unfreeze your brain a little bit. ;)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I Recently placed an order for a service kit with Beemer BoneYard. They put together a collection of sparkplugs, and filters for what seems like a reasonable price.
I have to say their response time to my online order was very good. Seems like a good outfit there. Give 'em a try. I wonder if they supply valve buckets?

On another note:
So what kind of oil should I use? Is it too early to switch to synth? ;)
DO NOT switch to synth before 18,000 miles, else the natural hormonal balance of the bike will be destroyed, and the bike will become Gay.
Does it matter what color anti-freeze I put in there? What is everyone's favorite color antifreeze? Is it okay if my pets drink the old antifreeze? They seem to like it. ;)
I would use blue, unless you switched to synth before 18K, then a mix of red and yellow to get a nice pink color to match the bikes new hormonal balance would be nice. I would not let your pets drink it, however the neighbor's barking dog probably needs the vitamins.
How do I drain the transmission ?
Pull the fill plug and lay the bike on it's right side over a large, deep, baking pan.
Is there a way to tell if my final drive is going to fail?
It is not if, it is when. The if is easy, the when more difficult.
While I am changing all these fluids, should I change the air in my tires too?
Yes, it MUST be changed to Nitrogen! If you use plain air, the tire will rot out from the inside, and the air will leak out, especially at high speed.
Is there any information about the oil level site glass on this sight?
Well, I see you have a good grasp of where to use the two words properly.
And what is the recommended procedure for braking in new break pads?
See above answer
I am thinking of switching to a Harley. Are they better bikes? I hear they can go faster, are more reliable, and are easier to work on.
Yes, it is well known that the larger number of owners speaks volumes about the masses capability of reasoning.
Oh, never mind...
Sufferin symptoms of PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome) in the deep south of Vermont. It's rain'n on the snow here tday.
It is no match for NMS!
Happy New Year everyone!
Now just what did you mean by that? Should we take the opposite meaning? Oh, you did say never mind, so never mind. :rotf:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
grifscoots said:
Charlie, if you hold your lips in a kind of a lopsided, sneering, smile during the service everythang will work out just fine.
Yes but..... you forgot to tell him to hop on his left foot counter clockwise while chanting the preamble to the BMW code of honor :rolleyes:

·
Registered
989 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I Recently placed an order for a service kit with Beemer BoneYard...
I had a pleasure to meet the operators in person. Good guys, two brothers working out of their garage. Got the service kit for my GS, plus brake pads for the LT. As Charlie says, highly recommended!

CharlieVT said:
...While I am changing all these fluids, should I change the air in my tires too?
Don't laugh, may years ago I worked with a practical joker who actually did convince the new guy that air in his car's tires had to be changed. The kid let all 4 tires down - then realized that he had no pump!

CharlieVT said:
Sufferin symptoms of PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome) in the deep south of Vermont.
You too? It's an epidemic... Can't wait for spring myself...

Happy riding in the New Year!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts