BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 LT - forks. There's an empty, threaded hole - looks like it'd be used to hold more fender of some kind. Anyone know off top their head what size bolt fits in there?

Look'n to put a couple 'el-cheapo' Wally-World off road lighting specials on for a few days. Trying something out...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks.

Off to get me some 5mm boltage and a couple smallisher washers. See if I've any hope of pull'n this off or not. If so - I'll get pics an what not up for all.

Light set I'm a look'n at is $15.00, pair o halogen 55 watters. But, looks like I may have to fabricate an alternative piece to mount these up on. Idea is it'll be something most any 'DIY' type could handle.

Cheap enough to not worry 'bout and at least, it'll offer the infamous 'Triangle' effect.

·
IBR# 366
16,542 Posts
Try to fit one of the torx fairing screws into the hole. If it fits, then it's an M5 x 0.8 mm thread. I have an RT fender bolted to those holes on my LT, but don't remember what size. I suppose you could also look up one of the BMW parts websites and see what it calls out for the RT.

I had the same thought about mounting some cheap lights down there just for triangulation. A custom bracket would be required, but shouldn't be difficult to make.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
M5x20 w/ .80 pitch - perfect! Fits like a glove.

Your all's understanding of these babies pays off again. I just went in and bought the stuff without checking, testing or even looking at the hole and you all nailed it perfect :thumb: :thumb: Yea - you got cred.

Figure I can stack one or two nuts between the bracket and the fitting on the fork. Get it all to stand out enough to clear the curvature of the fork tube. Will also allow me to 'counter tourque' things to keep 'em suggly. Add a simple, 90 degree chunk-o 'luminum and voila. Should have it.

Now, where to mount a switch... :rotf:

Gonna get the lights on the way home tonite - I'll start take'n picys then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts