BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a drip beneath my LT (2009) after it sat for three days. I looked under the bottom of the engine and found where it might be coming from. Its appeared to be coming from where a bolt should be I think. You can see permatex gasket sealer from the factory along the seam and if you use a mirror and look up into the hole you can see more permatex from the factory. This indicated to me that there was never a bolt in the hole from the beginning.
Nothing has been done to the bike on the engine.

So if someone with a later model year LT could look under the bike at the engine and see if the hole has a bolt in yours. I have provided several pics showing the hole where it appears the oil is seeping from.

Maybe it was left empty from the factory, but figured I would ask.

Thank you very much for your time in advance!

Uploaded with ImageShack.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well, I just had to look,
No bolt
No leak

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eric. What I did was filled the hole with some High-Temp TRV Silicone Gasket Maker Permatex in the hole to seal it.

Hopefully it will stop the seeping, I will know in the next couple of days.....

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Chipper said:
Thanks Eric. What I did was filled the hole with some High-Temp TRV Silicone Gasket Maker Permatex in the hole to seal it.

Hopefully it will stop the seeping, I will know in the next couple of days.....

Thanks again,

I believe that is an assembly alignment hole that goes nowhere (could be wrong on this going off of memory from past posts).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
beets said:
That is the weep hole for the oil/water pump. The oil side is leaking. If you plug the hole, there is a good chance that the oil will work into the coolant.
Thanks Ron, I will remove the permatex I put in the hole in that case.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chipper said:
Thanks Ron, I will remove the permatex I put the hole in that case.
Ron, what exactly has to be done to fix the problem? I've never experienced a leak from this area in the past.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
:corn:

I have been putting off fixin' a oil leek I have up there by the pump... Inquiring minds want to know...:bike:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
Chipper said:
Ron, what exactly has to be done to fix the problem? I've never experienced a leak from this area in the past.
It is not hard, but it looks like some special tools are in order. I have the impeller off an old unit but the slip ring seal must be pressed off the shaft. I don't want to trash this one to see how hard it is to do with out the BMW special tools to hold and align the new seal as you install it. Manual is pretty straight forward.

Looks like the whole pump assy is about $420 but the slip ring seal and shaft seal list for 24.54 and 10.42 each. Might be worth it to pull the pump and have the dealer install the new seals. Of course pulling this means draining the coolant and oil.

Now since yours is a fairly new 09 I would just watch it for a while to see if this was just a fluke and not a pressing leak. It may just go away.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Nope no bolt but it is a showing a little moisture at that location. I'm going to re torque the existing bolts this weekend while I change out the front shock

·
Registered
100 Posts
My K75(same pump design) would show an oil drip there once in a while, then it quit for several 1000s of miles. Then I found oil in the coolant. When I pulled the pump, I found that the weep hole was plugged by pieces of oil seal.
Because of the reports of failed attempts of others to get the seals to work, I took the pump to the dealer for the job. The shaft was pitted and had to be replaced, but the total bill was 1/2 the cost of a new pump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is the drain if either the oil pump or water pump seals fail, it comes from between the two of them. A weep or the occasional drip is not a problem but needs keeping an eye on it, and like any problem if it starts to change behaviour quickly then it needs to be fixed.. It's fairly easy to fix a pump with one or both leaky seals (you'll get a kit which will enable fixing both seals), but care has to taken getting the pump assembly off then more important geting it back on correctly (really clean surfaces - special sealing compound - keeping internal drain channel clear - doing a nice job!). Do not plug it for reasons given by earlier posts!! I did the one on my K11 which is the same about 35000 miles ago and no probs with it.
Tony.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all that responded, I took it into the dealer and he determined the seal was weeping, like so many here did. He explained it just like the members here have explained it.
He said to just wait for my next engine oil/filter change and get it done then.
He also said it should be covered under my extended warranty (lucky me).

So thanks again everyone, this is exactly what makes this site so great!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took the LT into the dealer last week to fix the seeping oil. They ended up replacing the whole pump,o-ring, oil filter/engine oil, and coolant.

Sure glad I had the extended warranty :bowdown: , total bill came to $747.00 :wow:.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
Thanks Bill, Now we know what that hole is for - leaking!!! Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John, I will say the members here were spot on with diagnosing the problem, very good people here.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Chipper said:
John, I will say the members here were spot on with diagnosing the problem, very good people here.
You seem surprised... ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts