BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know I purchased Dell’s LT earlier this week. I went down to the DMV to get clear title, and they issued new plates.

Tonight, I went to remove the old plate, but found the top of the license plate frame secured with two unique bolts. The bolts are round top, with a 6-sided hole and a pin in the middle. They appear to be a security measure against theft. Which was kind of pointless since I was able to remove the whole license plate frame section of the bike by taking out the two torx screws on the top of the assemble. These two security screws/bolt are fastened with 10mm nut from the inside. Of course when I try to unscrew the nut the bolts spin as well.

Does anyone know if the tool to remove these bolts is available in a hardware store? Or are they unique to the manufacturer of the plate frame?

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
Many stores have a small kit of tamper proof driver bits. Here is one at Home Depot.
tlash said:
As many of you know I purchased Dell’s LT earlier this week. I went down to the DMV to get clear title, and they issued new plates.

Tonight, I went to remove the old plate, but found the top of the license plate frame secured with two unique bolts. The bolts are round top, with a 6-sided hole and a pin in the middle. They appear to be a security measure against theft. Which was kind of pointless since I was able to remove the whole license plate frame section of the bike by taking out the two torx screws on the top of the assemble. These two security screws/bolt are fastened with 10mm nut from the inside. Of course when I try to unscrew the nut the bolts spin as well.

Does anyone know if the tool to remove these bolts is available in a hardware store? Or are they unique to the manufacturer of the plate frame?

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I saw some torx at sears today with holes in the middle to accommodate the pin, they might work on these.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
tlash said:

Did you keep the personal plates?:)

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Dan-A said:
I saw some torx at sears today with holes in the middle to accommodate the pin, they might work on these.
Those are safety torx. What he has there are some weird allen bolts. Most be proprietary to that plate frame.

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
Ted Shred said:
Those are safety torx. What he has there are some weird allen bolts. Most be proprietary to that plate frame.
It is a tamper proof hex - I posted a link about three posts above.

Attachments

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Randy said:
It is a tamper proof hex - I posted a link about three posts above.

I see:) Actually I have some of those tamper proof hex bits in kit I bought from the Snap On guy.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone.

Randy, I'll check Home Depot tomorrow.

Ted, yeah I'll keep the plate as a garage decoration.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
A small drill bit will remove the head and bolts can be replaced!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Harbor Freight has Tamper Proof driver sets cheaper.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93388

Funny that fastener companies developed Tamper Resistant fasteners to help prevent vandalism and theft, then companies started selling driver kits so that the vandals and theives would have easy access. Now the driver kits are almost as readily available as standard tools.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
dshealey said:
Harbor Freight has Tamper Proof driver sets cheaper.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93388

Funny that fastener companies developed Tamper Resistant fasteners to help prevent vandalism and theft, then companies started selling driver kits so that the vandals and theives would have easy access. Now the driver kits are almost as readily available as standard tools.
Yup... similar process in the Radar & Detector scam.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My first post didn't seem to get here - I'll try again.

Tom,

I have the tool that will remove that bolt. They come with the license plate helmet locky thing.

If you haven't found a solution, drop me a line. Be glad to help.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
82katana said:
My first post didn't seem to get here - I'll try again.

Tom,

I have the tool that will remove that bolt. They come with the license plate helmet locky thing.

If you haven't found a solution, drop me a line. Be glad to help.
I found the single security hex bit I needed at the local ACE hardware, and I got the plates swapped out. I plan on keeping the plate frame and helmet locks, so I should keep the bit on hand. Thanks for the offer though!

R~W~P---

1 - 15 of 15 Posts