BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am planning a trip out to Boise to visit some relatives and would appreciate a little help on a route from Boise to Missoula. Since my wife has never been west I am looking for safe scenic routes. By safe, I mean no gravel fire trails or logging roads.

In looking at a map I am considering going through Idaho City, Lowman, Stanley on Hwy 21 and then taking Hwy93 north towards Missoula. I presume by the map that these are all paved roads suitable for travel with an LT.

Time would be end of July first part of August. Trying to keep this a vacation, not a "we must be here at this time" type of trip.

I am open to other suggestions.

NOTE: I have no need to go to Missoula, just using it as a reference. Will probably pick up I94 once through the mountains and head towards home.

Thanks

Roy

·
Registered
182 Posts
i live in Elko Nv. and have gone several ways to Kalispell all are gorgeous (except the interstate). Lots of gas stops and paved. Idaho does not do well with thier road main. The roads are not marked well and can be sandy and gravely on curves and where they have done previous construction. If you go 93, hwy 21 between 75 and Boise is all twisties and allot of fun...good luck :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
One of my favorite rides. Also great, from Boise N on 55 up the Payette River Canyon, thru Cascade, McCall. East on 13 at Grangeville up the old grade (awesome views from awesome switchbacks) to 12 at Kooskia. East on 12 up Lolo Pass ("Winding Road next 77 miles" et al). Missoula dead ahead. No prettier way to go (IMHO).

pg
DD

bigbear said:
Hi all,
I am planning a trip out to Boise to visit some relatives and would appreciate a little help on a route from Boise to Missoula. Since my wife has never been west I am looking for safe scenic routes. By safe, I mean no gravel fire trails or logging roads.

In looking at a map I am considering going through Idaho City, Lowman, Stanley on Hwy 21 and then taking Hwy93 north towards Missoula. I presume by the map that these are all paved roads suitable for travel with an LT.

Time would be end of July first part of August. Trying to keep this a vacation, not a "we must be here at this time" type of trip.

I am open to other suggestions.

NOTE: I have no need to go to Missoula, just using it as a reference. Will probably pick up I94 once through the mountains and head towards home.

Thanks

Roy

·
Registered
539 Posts
Both routes are nice BUT I'll second this one (Lolo Pass) as the BEST. I usually like to do the Lolo pass route from Boise and the Stanley route on return.

Steve
Olympia

pgeller said:
One of my favorite rides. Also great, from Boise N on 55 up the Payette River Canyon, thru Cascade, McCall. East on 13 at Grangeville up the old grade (awesome views from awesome switchbacks) to 12 at Kooskia. East on 12 up Lolo Pass ("Winding Road next 77 miles" et al). Missoula dead ahead. No prettier way to go (IMHO).

pg
DD

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks guys,
it is hard to tell on a map what the scenery looks like. I presume that either route would be an 6-8 hour ride depending on stops etc.

Roy

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I like both lroutes described in other posts. One deviation that I believe is worth it is to go beyond Grangeville on Hwy 95 to the Clearwater River just east of Lewiston - goes through the Nez Perce Reservation. There's a good museum about the Nex Perce just before you get to the river. Following up the Clearwater on Hwy 12 through some beautiful steep river canyon to Orofino, Kooskia and then over Lolo Pass to Missoula. Whichever way you decide there is a good museum on the west side of Lolo Pass that talks about the Lewis & Clark Corps of Discovery that went through 200 years ago. It's worth the stop.

Denny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts