BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy has family getting married in Boise so we decided to take the bikes up and make a trip north to Coeur D'Alene while we are at it. Any suggestions for rides in either area. Maybe some living in those areas could provide some info?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry...

Could only help you out with beautifull rides here in Belgium :)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
If that far north, head east to GLACIER park and do Logan Pass :dance:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Take route 21 north out of Boise to Stanley, Idaho. Great road. From Stanley go north via Salmon, ID., Darby, MT, Missoula, MT, then to Coeur D'Alene. I just came back from a trip to Stanley. Have been there many times.

·
Registered
348 Posts
coxreno745 said:
Take route 21 north out of Boise to Stanley, Idaho. Great road. From Stanley go north via Salmon, ID., Darby, MT, Missoula, MT, then to Coeur D'Alene. I just came back from a trip to Stanley. Have been there many times.
I'd do what David suggested until you get to Lolo, MT then I'd turn west on 12 heading toward Lolo pass. From Lolo pass all the way to Lewiston you'll be riding on of the finest motorcycle roads in the United States. You don't want to miss it. Coeur D'Alene is a little over a 100 miles north of Lewiston if you have to be there.
FYI, David's route to Lolo is approximately 340 miles. Lolo to Lewiston adds 180 miles. Orofino, ID is a great place to spend the night.

Bruce Hodges

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
bruce2000ltc said:
I'd do what David suggested until you get to Lolo, MT then I'd turn west on 12 heading toward Lolo pass. From Lolo pass all the way to Lewiston you'll be riding on of the finest motorcycle roads in the United States. You don't want to miss it. Coeur D'Alene is a little over a 100 miles north of Lewiston if you have to be there.
FYI, David's route to Lolo is approximately 340 miles. Lolo to Lewiston adds 180 miles. Orofino, ID is a great place to spend the night.

Bruce Hodges
x2............... :cool:

·
Registered
820 Posts
+1 on Lolo Pass if that fits your plans. I have done the Boise/Coeur D'Alene ride three times and last time stayed in McCall at a great Holiday Inn Express that is only a couple years old and ate at the Mill Steak House which is an easy walk from motel. Not a really great steakhouse but more than decent steaks and prime rib, plus an easy walk from the motel so you don't have to worry about that extra glass of wine with your steak. (If you want a preview of McCall, rent Northwest Passage starring Spencer Tracey which was filmed there.)

If your destination is then Coeur D'alene, you will want to ride up the east side of the Lake on Highway 97. Highway 95 up the west side will get you there quicker but you will miss the reason for the ride.

Here is how I did it from McCall and highly recommend it.

Hwy 95 to Grangerville to connect with 13
Hwy 13 to connect to 12 at Kooskia
Hwy 12 to Ahsahka to hit P-1.
P-1 to Kendrick
At Kendrick pick up 3/8 North to Id-6
Id-6 to connect with Hwy 3
Hwy 3 to 97 which you follow up the east shore of the Lake
Hwy 97 then joins I-90 for a very short distance into Coeur d'Alene.

Stay safe, have fun, let us know what route you decide on.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Two thumbs up to both Logan Pass (Glacier National Park) and LoLo Pass. If you have the time I would do both of them. That will be a ride that you will never forget. I did Logan last Saturday. The pass is at 6600 feet and they were expecting snow in that area down to 7000 feet so you have to be careful to check the weather in fall or you could end up being snowed in.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
motorhead said:
Yes ... Lolo is a fine route indeed !!
+1, with the caveat that if it is rainy, it's a VERY long windy road along a river that you can't go fast enough to really enjoy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Moot said:
+1 on Lolo Pass if that fits your plans. I have done the Boise/Coeur D'Alene ride three times and last time stayed in McCall at a great Holiday Inn Express that is only a couple years old and ate at the Mill Steak House which is an easy walk from motel. Not a really great steakhouse but more than decent steaks and prime rib, plus an easy walk from the motel so you don't have to worry about that extra glass of wine with your steak. (If you want a preview of McCall, rent Northwest Passage starring Spencer Tracey which was filmed there.)

If your destination is then Coeur D'alene, you will want to ride up the east side of the Lake on Highway 97. Highway 95 up the west side will get you there quicker but you will miss the reason for the ride.

Here is how I did it from McCall and highly recommend it.

Hwy 95 to Grangerville to connect with 13
Hwy 13 to connect to 12 at Kooskia
Hwy 12 to Ahsahka to hit P-1.
P-1 to Kendrick
At Kendrick pick up 3/8 North to Id-6
Id-6 to connect with Hwy 3
Hwy 3 to 97 which you follow up the east shore of the Lake
Hwy 97 then joins I-90 for a very short distance into Coeur d'Alene.

Stay safe, have fun, let us know what route you decide on.
they're all good. Unless you'll be there again, Lolo and Glacier are musts. Have fun.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got back from Boise. The ride to Coeur D'Alene fell through. But, we were able to get a couple of ride days around Boise. I did the ride up HW 21 to Loman then across 24 and back down HW 55. Very pretty scnery and the canyons are very pretty. The wife and I took a day ride up to McCall for breakfast. First time I have been there. A very pretty ride up and the McCall area is very pretty with the lake and all. Not a drop of rain the entire trip and the weather stayed in the mid 60's to mid 80's until we got back to the Sacramento Vally. Thanks for the travel tips every one.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts