BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the problem: Right rear side compartment has a small area, near the back corner, while the bike was napping, during the first year of ownership, that needs a little body work and paint. I've thought about taking it to a body shop for repair or maybe covering it up with another piece of bumper material or some type of reflecting tape. Because of the slight curve, it might be difficult to get the tape to fit correctly. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
dandiver said:
Here is the problem: Right rear side compartment has a small area, near the back corner, while the bike was napping, during the first year of ownership, that needs a little body work and paint. I've thought about taking it to a body shop for repair or maybe covering it up with another piece of bumper material or some type of reflecting tape. Because of the slight curve, it might be difficult to get the tape to fit correctly. Any suggestions?
Dano send a PM to D.Kinsey he should be able to give you some ideas

·
Registered
280 Posts
dandiver said:
When I got my 03 LTC two years ago, it had scuffs & scratches on both bag tops due to the previous owners passenger not getting their foot over the bag. What I did was talk to one of those many guys that go from car dealership to car dealership fixing and painting small imperfections on the lot cars.
He was able to match the color and only took him a couple of hours.
You might want to stop in a local dealership and ask when their guy comes in.
hope this will help!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The body work is probably left best deferred to more expert than myself........however placing adhesive backed materials of any kind...........decals; graffics; or reflective tapes; us a spray mist bottle of window cleaner; first to thoroughly clean the area and then wet it all down and leave it wet................peal the backing off and place the piece where you want it; you will be able to easily do this while it is still wet; Once it is where you want it you can use a credit cart or other soft squeegee to work out all the bubbles.......................let it dry and it will conform to curvatures etc....and you will have a dickens of a time getting it removed with out the use of WD-40..........................

Thus endeth the grafic application lecture for the day................................ :cool:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yuck.....Paint it :D If you decide to go with a "sticker" or some other type of adhesive band-aid make sure it is thick. If you go with a thin/ish type of vinyl anything it will bubble/not adhere well and generally look like poop because it will be mapping all the imperfections of the body damage...ie scratches,gouges, touch-ups etc. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the good advise. I'm going to try to find someone that the local car dealers use around here. I've actually got the exact touch up paint so that should make it a little easier to match. again, thanks for the advise.

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
You could just get another Hawai'i girl sticker. :D

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tahiti ! and she came with the 6-pack.......

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dano,
Paint it and you will not regret it.
Put a sticker to it and you will regret it.
Beautiful color

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
dandiver said:
Tahiti ! and she came with the 6-pack.......
Sorry, all those lei's look alike to me. :D

I agree that your best bet is to find a professional and get it fixed right. It'll be worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts