BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We may think this is an old subject but as long as newer and low mileage bikes are failing there is going to be some noise regarding the subject. As for the fix. MANY manufactures use this successfully. You can call it industrial espionage if you want but if it fixes the problem and you stop losing customers it is a win. BMW could buy a new Goldwing final drive and let the engineers take it apart and figure out why they DON'T fail. Make a replica and waaalaaa problem is fixed. I am looking at buying a goldwing and spent a fair amount of time on some sites similar to this. The only final drive problems I could find were seal leaks on models from 1982 to about 1985 in that era. You can't throw the,it's a heavy bike they are going to fail. The lighter models fail too and the Wing is not any lighter without failures. Clearly a design issue and as much as I want a new GS I am looking elswhere as cross contry travel is my preference. An LT and a GS would be ideal for me but it will likely be a Goldwing or an HD and a KTM 990. The engineers came out with the new FD and everybody said FINALLY its fixed. Turns out the engineers are drinking too much beer. NO drain plug on the rear drive? What were they thinking? And the new failing at same numbers. It is clear they don't have a clue how to fix it. So I say COPY HONDA and be done with it!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
If buying a wing is your solution to a potential FD issue then I do not believe you have taken all characteristics of these bikes to heart. I am sure that there maybe a mechanical failure on any machine. I understand that BMW FD's have a negative history and would be a PITA if one failed on me, but I would not be willing to give up all the other characteristics that fit my pride of ownership.

M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
I will take my chances witht he crappy FD to get a more nimble bike that gets over 50 mpg compared to my friend's wing that is lucky to get in the mid-30s. No bike is perfect, except of course a 1966 Honda 305 Dream.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Pride of Ownership

mr1150gs said:
If buying a wing is your solution to a potential FD issue then I do not believe you have taken all characteristics of these bikes to heart. I am sure that there maybe a mechanical failure on any machine. I understand that BMW FD's have a negative history and would be a PITA if one failed on me, but I would not be willing to give up all the other characteristics that fit my pride of ownership.

M
I do not understand your meaning of characteristics of the bike and pride of ownership. I have owned 27 motorcycles in my life time. Four of them BMW’s, which two of them were LT’s. I really liked the LT’s but I took all the characteristics of the 2005 LT I owned and after fork seal leaks, transmission seal leaking, drilling a weep hole for the slave cylinder, fuel quick connects leaking, rear drive replaced, complete instrument panel replaced and all the service that was required I loss the pride of ownership. I purchased a 2008 Gold Wing with navigation and comfort package and now know the pride of ownership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Gas Mileage

rkimmel2 said:
I will take my chances witht he crappy FD to get a more nimble bike that gets over 50 mpg compared to my friend's wing that is lucky to get in the mid-30s. No bike is perfect, except of course a 1966 Honda 305 Dream.

I do not understand people paying 25,000 dollars for a motorcycle and then complain about 10 miles to gallon less on gas milage. The power is will worth it. If you each ride 20,000 miles a year at 3.00 dollars a gallon your friend will spend 300 dollars more for gas than you. If you do the service like recommend by BMW you will spend double that for the service plus if you have a rear drive go that will be 1500 dollars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
I will take my chances witht he crappy FD to get a more nimble bike that gets over 50 mpg compared to my friend's wing that is lucky to get in the mid-30s. No bike is perfect, except of course a 1966 Honda 305 Dream.
I have ridden an 06' Goldwing, and I think it feels a lot heavier in the corners then the LT. I ride my LT very hard in the corners, as I rub the kickstands often. I will pay the price for owning the LT, but I will enjoy the ride 10X more.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,820 Posts
Jerrym said:
... I purchased a 2008 Gold Wing with navigation and comfort package and now know the pride of ownership.
and may it ever be so! Chances are you felt that same pride of ownership with most of your other bikes when they were new. I hope you feel the same way with the Wing after a few years. (honestly, not being sarcastic) We all should feel that way about our purchase decisions... or change them. You have, and you're happy. That's a good thing.

I have not seen the definitive failure rate of BMW FD failures published. I'm guessing only BMW has those numbers and they don't seem to be sharing them. (If any readers have them, please share them).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Jerrym said:
I do not understand people paying 25,000 dollars for a motorcycle and then complain about 10 miles to gallon less on gas milage. The power is will worth it. If you each ride 20,000 miles a year at 3.00 dollars a gallon your friend will spend 300 dollars more for gas than you. If you do the service like recommend by BMW you will spend double that for the service plus if you have a rear drive go that will be 1500 dollars.

I have never paid 25,000 for a bike. Bought my 1999 used in 2004 when it had 14000 miles on the clock for about 8 grand. 40,000 miles later, it has needed fluid changes and little else. I am certainly not impressed with the GW "power."

300.00 in gas savings buys my little girl a nice prom dress. Those kinds of savings over a lifetime help pay for a nice college too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
As I read this post; I saw where the LT was compared to a Wing and a Harley?

Interesting.

Either of those bikes can not be ridden the way I ride my LT.
I have owned only sportbikes before my LT purchase.
Forget about the kickstand dragging, my passenger pegs have drag marks on them.

There is NO F' ing Way that a Wing or Harley can be ridden like an LT.

As for cost, I have a 2002 that I paid 9K for.
Other than routine maintance, I have not had to put money into it for repairs.

Fuel connect 14.80
Brake pads 78.00
Oil & Filter 40.00 x 3
Air Filter 36.00
Tires 300.00 x 3

I think that is reasonable and compairable to any sportbike.

Wings and Harley's are good bikes if you don't know how to ride the speed limit and enjoy holding up traffic.

Wait, that rant only applies to the curvy roads or does it?



:dance:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
Apparently BMW has no intent to ever fix it's final drive problems.

Why, you ask ? Because it's easier and cheaper for you to fix it than them.

Simple enough.

So buy a spare drive and yours will never fail.

Can't afford the high cost of ownership?

Well, not everyone can live in a million dollar home and afford to drive a BMW motorcycle, Sorry. Someone has to drive Honda's and flip hamburgers at Mcdonalds.

Sucks, doesn't it.

Now, Where did I put that spatula....:)


John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
When I rub my kickstand the rear tire has only 1/16 of am inch left before it is off the edge. How do you get more? :confused: I also have owned many bikes and am a sport rider, just like the comfort of the LT on my long rides. (future 4%'r)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,669 Posts
Blah...Blah...Blah

Ohh.....You "Wingers"keep an eye on that frame will ya ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
dshealey said:
You may get an answer, from Santa or the Easter Bunny. Sure won't be from BMW! They still will not publicly admit there is a problem, period.
I had to try. :histerica :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
I wonder if I should buy a Final Drive or get one from someone with problems, thus I can see what the main problems are and maybe design an alternative!

The company I work for, have an exelent CNC workshop and I think that I may raise some aid from them to machine out some of the stuff I would need, and since I am into design engineering I may pull something out. Something with better quality perhaps!

I`ll have to bring this up with the guys on that meeting in Finland in August.

Regards

Paul
Norway

PS! Anyone have pictures of the problem areas with the final drive?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
Rethy said:
...The only final drive problems I could find were seal leaks on models from 1982 to about 1985 in that era...
1980-81 had the seal issues. I experienced a problem and I've seen just a few others. That era also had some problems with the final drive bushings making noise. Neither of which would leave you on the side of the road and were fixed easily under warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Jerry

Glad you've found joy on two wheels. I also have a 2005 LT,bought used last April. Just tires and maintenance which I do myself. I'll admit that a Mayer seat will be the next purchase but that's my only complaint. My 99 R1100 RT was also trouble free when I sold it last spring. Only managed 7,000 miles on the LT because golfing, skiing, etc. cut down on riding time. Montana sucks for riding this winter. Some of us are just lucky, I guess. Or the black and gold colors just rock. Love the LT even more than RT(wife also agrees). Don't get me started on how much I like the Bmmers I've had.

Ride safe,

Bruce :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Gold Wing

JPSpen said:
Apparently BMW has no intent to ever fix it's final drive problems.

Why, you ask ? Because it's easier and cheaper for you to fix it than them.

Simple enough.

So buy a spare drive and yours will never fail.

Can't afford the high cost of ownership?

Well, not everyone can live in a million dollar home and afford to drive a BMW motorcycle, Sorry. Someone has to drive Honda's and flip hamburgers at Mcdonalds.

Sucks, doesn't it.

Now, Where did I put that spatula....:)


John
Its not the cost to me. Its the reliability. Believe me I can afford any bike I would like. I do not keep one over three years. The Gold Wing is more money than the BMW LT but it does not have the problems. Yes, I would prefer a BMW but you see all the problems I had.
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Top