BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK the short version is that IMHO BMWOR has poor customer service, they are unknowledgeable about my BMW bike and that they are ridiculously expensive with regard to service. I guess they feel that now that Portland Motorcycle is gone, they can do whatever they want and charge whatever they like. If you have the time, the following rant is why I feel the way I do.

A while back, I was in BMW Motorcycles of Western Oregon and asked them about an upcoming service for my K1200R. A number of six hundred and some dollars was quoted and I have to say I was a little shocked. Similar service at Portland Motorcycle had been considerably less than one half of that amount.

I am now in need of that service, so I called South Sound BMW and ask for a quote for a standard 30K service on my 2006 K1200R. I was given a firm quote of $250 for a full 30K Service. This was consistent with past service receipts and I felt it was reasonable.
I next called Salem Honda BMW. They were also very friendly and gave me a quote of $250 - $300. As both quotes were in the same ball park, I began to wonder how BMWOR could possibly be so high. There must have been a mistake, I thought.

I called BMWOR (Tigard) yesterday to get to the bottom of this. I asked for the Service Department and was promptly put on hold. I waited for over 20 minutes until I gave up. Real nice customer service I thought.

Today I tried to reach the Service Department again and lucked out this time as Doug, the Service Manager answered the phone. I asked for a new quote on my 2006 K1200R and sure enough, there had been a mistake. The cost wasn’t six hundred and some, it was $845!!! I asked Doug why they were so much more than other dealers. I got a lot of negative comments about other dealers and he basically said that they weren’t offering a full service.

After I got off of the phone I looked up the maintenance schedule for the K1200R and decided to give Doug a call back. I politely asked what all was included in their 30K service. Doug stated a number of items that were not on the schedule including that the final drive fluid needed to be replaced. He stated that the final drive required maintenance every 12K. I told him that per schedule, it had been changed recently, so I was told I could deduct $100. Next, he stated that the gear box oil needed to be changed and a new seal installed. I asked what he meant by gear box and he said he was referring to the transmission. I told him that an engine oil change included the transmission oil in a 2006 K1200R; that they were the same. Doug began to argue with me stating that the fluid in the transmission was different and that it had to be changed. The conversation went downhill from there. Doug commented that other dealers have lower labor rates, but that they must be in the business of going out of business. He gloated that this is what happened to Portland Motorcycle. I realized at this point that I was arguing with someone that was completely unknowledgeable about my bike and whose goal was to charge me as much as possible (even for some things that are impossible).

Needless to say, I will be making a little ride down to Salem on Tuesday. I’ll report back on how it goes. I’ll bet they will get a good laugh about BMWOR’s insistence that the gearbox must be serviced.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Obviously does not understand that the new K engine is a wet sump engine! Even if we give him the benefit of the doubt (which he really does not deserve with that ridiculous quote!) and allow that he could have been thinking of the earlier generation K engine, a BMW dealer should certainly not make that simple of a mistake. Or, as soon as you explained it to him, he should have immediately realize the error of his thoughts.

I really was hoping that they might improve, but evidently not in the Service department! When you head to Salem you might want to swing over to Hwy 99W for the last part of the trip instead of I-5 the whole way. Much nicer ride!

Let us know how it all turns out Dan.

John

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems Dan, I have had limited amount of exposure to that dealer. But those transactions were not very good either. We could always do your 30k on the grass at the fair grounds in John day. You know I like to tear into K motors there... I would look for a local guru and offer up the 250 bucks and get it done right.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Why even argue with the guy? Other than to make your point. You weren't going to change his mind or quote and you already made up your mind not to use them so why so many calls to them? It is their business and they can run it as they please and you can chide to use them or not. It is called capitalism.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
moralem said:
Why even argue with the guy? Other than to make your point. You weren't going to change his mind or quote and you already made up your mind not to use them so why so many calls to them? It is their business and they can run it as they please and you can chide to use them or not. It is called capitalism.
Actually, I didn't argue with him after he corrected me. I called back because I really wanted to know what the difference was on what they proposed to do. Maybe they were on to something I didn't know about. They are a local business and I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. I had not made up my mind and he did change his quote.

BTW, my degree is in Business Administration and I spent a long career working in business. I think I know what capitalism is. I made this post to inform others in this area. Caveat emptor...

·
IBR# 366
16,582 Posts
Sorry to hear about your poor experience, Dan. I think I'd be a bit frustrated, too.

Fortunately, BMWOR in Tigard has taken pretty good care of me over the years. I've had several emergency services done there (it's always an emergency when you're a thousand miles from home), including full clutch replacements on both the K12GT & K13GT. And they recently took in my GTL for software updates/warranty items and took care of everything quickly. They even loaned me their S1000RR demo bike to run some errands instead of just sitting in the shop. That thing is wicked fast . . . :D

Their rates can be on the high side, (although what you were told seems ridiculous), but Richard does excellent work and really knows his stuff.

Their parts department can be a bit clueless, but since they've hired the guy from Portland BMW it's been a definite improvement. Man times I've gotten critical parts in overnight. Again, there's a next-day fee, but if you really need it now, then you pay for that privilege.

I've never used the Salem dealer, but I hope they take good care of you. Sometimes, it's good to have choices . . .

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Sorry to hear of this recent issue with BMWWOR Tigard. I would bet he would have changed the quote once he saw the bike, and if he hadn't then I'd really be worried. I believe Scott would like to hear about this, because he and Madelyn take their business very serious. I hope you find a good deal and are satisfied wherever you go for service, but know you are always welcome to use my lift if you want to DIY, or there are are other less expensive options than Salem around. ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
I glad but surprised anyone has had a good experience at this dealership. I don't think I've ever walked in there and been tempted to do anything but buy what I needed and get the hell out. I have been to the Salem dealership to get an Autocomm item and the staff was all very knowledgeable and friendly.

I'm glad that the parts department finally got someone that knows what they hell they are talking about. Been in the several times or called only to have them ask me for the BMW part number.

Next bike may not be a BMW if the only show in town is BMWOR. I'm just glad I don't rely on them for periodic services. I'd be worried if I didn't do my own maintenance. Speaking of which I've got a 36K coming due on the GSA. Doesn't look to tough.

For those going to Chief Joseph, see ya in a few days.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Service Experience - Salem

Salem Honda BMW performed my 30K Service today. The total due was $260.11. Don’t expect a huge glamorous dealership if you go to Salem. They are in an old and small building. It’s a stark contrast to Tigard and that’s just the way Salem likes it. They prize their low overhead and small size. To me, none of this is good or bad. It’s just different. It’s a different philosophy and perhaps a different definition of success.

Anyway, as far as their service work, they appear to follow the book very closely. They did everything on the 30K maintenance schedule and I was in and out in a reasonable time. They were very friendly and good to deal with. They thanked me and said they appreciated me coming down to Salem. That’s appealing to me, so I will probably make the trip again in the future.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Dan, that's good news to hear! Glad it worked out for ya. plus you got a nice slab ride in as well, huh?

John

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AlaskaFish said:
plus you got a nice slab ride in as well, huh?
Yes, and in the rain with terrible traffic. :histerica

It's all good!

Dan

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Well if it helps I rode Tigger 2 to work today and found a very wet ride home! Rain gear works. It's all good!

John
reelman said:
Yes, and in the rain with terrible traffic. :histerica

It's all good!

Dan

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Great that you got your 30K done, Dan. It's nice to know about good dealer options in our neighborhood. Thanks for posting.

Denny

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Hey Dan! Good for you getting your service done to your satisfaction. Isn't it about time for Summer to come so we can go for a ride?
:)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I found Scott and Madelyn to be very attentive, honest and proficient business owners . However, their staff leaves a bit to be desired.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Our Youjean Orygun neighbor has it right. I stand corrected Patrick. Any day you can ride is a good day! And we're fixing to ride tomorrow to the Chief Joseph Rally! Woo Hoo!!!

John
patrick2000 said:
No such thing bad weather just bad gear. You circumvented that!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Glad you had your service done correctly and at a reasonable price, But I want to know , How is your back Tire????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts