BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just in from BMW -

A more compact and rugged navigation system for BMW Motorcycles. Designed specifically for BMW Motorcycles the
new BMW Zumo Navigator with motorcycle-friendly and adapted features make it easy to operate and program your
ride for the week or just a day trip. From open roads to back roads, the BMW Zumo Navigator with its preloaded maps
and high-end navigation features give you the freedom to go where
you want to, no matter how remote. The BMW Zumo gives you the
confidence to take the long way home or explore more scenic roads
on your next road trip.
The unique full black body design of BMW Zumo will be a great compliment
to any BMW Motorcycle.

- Slick full black body design.
- Glove friendly touch screen.
- Left hand controls, designed for motorcyclist.
- Special programming lock - limits reprogramming while in movement.
- BMW specific software.
- BMW Dealer database.
- Mounting base plate works with BMW mounting brackets.
- TMC - Traffic Receiver included in the box with 3-month free subscription.
- Custom BMW caps included in the box - set of three designs.
- Completely water resistant and shockproof specially designed for on a motorcycles.
- Vibration-tested and built with fuel-resistant plastics to withstand the elements.
- Replaceable lithium ion rechargeable battery (included) for use off the bike up to 5 hours.
- Bluetooth wireless technology for phone communication.
- MP-3 Player to store your favorite tunes for the road.
- Compass feature same as the Navigator III.
- Shock resistance Sporty carrying case.
- High brightness, sunlight-readable, UV-resistant display makes it easy to view your screen.
- Motorcycle console for trip information, including fuel gauge to warn you when it's time to fill up.
- 3 Year BMW Limited Warranty.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Ted what about the waypoint capabilities,, # ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
If BMW gutted the capability, that would be the case. Otherwise by adding the GX-30 antenna, one can add XM Radio. The weather capability is not the same as what can be shown on the Garmin 378, which is real time weather storm display superimposed on the road map. That feature has saved me some pain from hail in Colorado. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
What's the incentive for buying the BMW Zumo if you can get a standard Zumo 550 with more features?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Josmas said:
What's the incentive for buying the BMW Zumo if you can get a standard Zumo 550 with more features?
I think you only get 2 benefits, it says BMW on it and because it is a BMW accessory, the BMW 2 yr warranty kicks in which is longer than the standard Zumo one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
These folks provide an extended warranty if you purchase the Garmin unit from them and it is at a discounted price. They are having a sale of around $835 for the Zumo 550 with the GX-30 antenna.

http://www.getfeetwet.com/

I have had good service from them over the years. :)

Also having the BMW logo on a standard product usually implies a technological degradation so there is even more profit for BMW. I saw that on the J & M handle bar unit for CB and intercom.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You get the BMW dealerships preloaded with the Navigator units but similar files are available for download to any Garmin unit.

If you are buying a new bike you can finance all the accessories with the bike. If you are into that kind of thing.

I'd be willing to pay a bit more for the BMW branded device, perhaps, but not the spreads I have seen. If I can't get XM service that's a deal killer for me.

Got my Zumo from getfeetwet.com. I'd recommend them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
bend over

Josmas said:
You will have the opportunity to purchase the unit at twice the price and with less options. But then again it will say BMW on it.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
The BMW one sounds like a 450 not the 550. No bluetooth or XM.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Texas42 said:
The BMW one sounds like a 450 not the 550. No bluetooth or XM.
That sounds right.

I bought a 550 from Abe's of Maine for $677 (currently $669, not sure about shipping) back in March. Some people have had issues with Abe's, but my experience was good.

The suction cup mount in the car came loose last week and the unit fell and broke the screen. I just called Garmin and they will repair/replace under warranty.

Other than waiting on hold for 30 minutes, very good customer service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Zumo 550 and 2003 K1200LTE

I just had a Zumo 550 installed on my 2003 K1200LTE and installer had issues with the J&M com center. The XM will not plug and play. No stereo XM and have to play through the aux which means I have to control the volume with the Zumo and not handlebar buttons. HELP!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Already got a regular Zumo mounted and it works just fine. Sounds to me as if the new BMW version is more restrictive.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Phillo said:
You pay more for less :rotf:
Oh come on. You're paying for the BMW roundel!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts