BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a top case backrest for for my 2011 RT The wife likes the security feel. Don't really want to spend 800 bucks for the bmw 28 litre set up has anyone had good luck with a different supplier arrangement that gives pillon some comfort. Any feed back would be helpfull

Thanks

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I bought one on Ebay. Cheapest one I could find. They are rather expensive but we spend all this money on a RT and then we worry about another $800 on a topcase.
It is expensive but that is the way it is.

Here is the one I purchased on Ebay. It is the 49 litre not the 28 litre.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1200RT-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2573ebb660&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1200RT-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2572c69cdc&vxp=mtr

Good used one on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-49-Lite...1788642938217668307&pid=100011&prg=1016&rk=3&

I think the 28 litre is too small for the price.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is a topcase listed in the BMWMOA mag fleamarket for $700. If in new condition it is not a bad price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found the 28 liter case to be too small to be of any real use.
I've purchased two 49 liter cases; one off of Craigs List and one off of eBay. Both were in the $700 range. They are by far superior to the 28 liter size both for carrying capacity and for the passengers' comfort.

Yes, $700 is a lot of green but as they say: "The cheapest thing on a BMW is sitting on the saddle". :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
My wife loves the 49l top case. We have and used to have bikes with all sorts of backrests (bakup, homemade, RCU, etc.) and she thinks this one is second only to the LT backrest (which is heated ;-).
I think your wife will thank you for spending the big $ on the BMW case.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
The Top Case has a built in backrest... just say'n.

and goes on and off like it is supposed to.

and serves well in resale...

etc.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Bracati said:
With my 2012 purchase, I got a 10% discount on the 49L top box - a must for 2 up touring
I did the same, we used it on our 23 day trip to the east coast and it was worth every penny. My wife feels more secure on the bike with the top box attached, when I ride on my own it generally stays in the garage. I also bought the Kathys Journey Liner bags for all the cases, these actually enable you to pack more into the cases than without them and it makes checking in and out of hotels a breeze.

Gerhard

·
Registered
233 Posts
BMW top cases are out there on craigs list etc. Got mine for $500. If you buy used, make sure you get a key, or the VIN for the bike it came from. If you only get the VIN, your local BMW dealer can get a key for it, as a one time tool that is needed to re-key the topcase. My dealer balked for security reasons until I pointed out that the key would never be in my possession, and that satisfied them. So yeah, a $50+ one time tool is expensive, but I got a $900 item for about a 40% discount. Oh..........................and it is a terrific case. Whether you are packing for a trip or just hauling groceries, it is a nice addition to the RT.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
and...

49 L top case will hold, and lock two..(2) full face helmets...

:D

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I have the 49l one and use it every day. Got it with the bike including matching paint job :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a Shad SH50. Shad makes the BMW oem cases. Very good quality and looks great on the bike. I would highly recommend it. The best part is that it lists for $350.

Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dbaliko said:
I have a Shad SH50. Shad makes the BMW oem cases. Very good quality and looks great on the bike. I would highly recommend it. The best part is that it lists for $350.

Doug
Thanks for the input and opinions ended up ordering the Shad SH50 with BMW bracket saw one on the road and liked the look and price. Waiting for delivery next week and it does hold 2 full helmets

·
Registered
296 Posts
jthomas said:
Thanks for the input and opinions ended up ordering the Shad SH50 with BMW bracket saw one on the road and liked the look and price. Waiting for delivery next week and it does hold 2 full helmets
That's what I got and I know it holds a Multitec and a Neotec. :clapping:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Many times when a dealer takes a bike in on trade they will take the goodies off ( top case, tank bag,etc.) and sell them separately. That's how I got my 49L top case and tank bag, on ebay for under $700.00. They were like new, except that the paint color on the top case didn't match my bike. Not a big deal when you're saving $500.00 +

·
Registered
87 Posts
Does the cover of the Shad SH50 come off easily? I'd probably want to have it painted to match my bike (midnight blue). I've been thinking of the BMW top case but don't like the silver color and I've read on here that the cover can't easily be removed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts