BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Sturgis this August and I am about to buy a BMW r1200 rt or a Victory Cross Country Tour. I am smitten with the BMW but am curious about what you guys think which bike is better. Am I going to get run over by the HD guys or is everyone just fine with non cruiser bikes these days.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Most guys are cool especially with the BMW boxer style as it has retained it's own image and is not a wannabe Harley. I have been there several times and never had a problem even when I rode a Gold Wing or Valkyrie or Harley...everyone was cool but you do get a little more attention from the BMW than one of the wannabes. If you're insecure just buy the Harley and be done with it. Watch out for those nasty cross winds. Which bike is better? The one that fits you best.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If you're an individual and know what you want it doesn't matter what you ride, choose the one you desire and you'll have a decision you can live with.

I love my RT ...ya I'm biased.

r

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The BMW dealer at Sturgis is outstanding. Interesting you are choosing between a BMW and a Victory. Rather different bikes. I suggest trial rides for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I agree with the idea of buying the ride you like. The people who ride and or those who go to Sturgis, in the long run, really do not care.

I think the question is... why go to Sturgis in August anyway? If it is a social or group affiliation thing then you will fit in better on a Victory. You will also want to have vests, chaps, do rags, beer breath, sunburn etc.

If it is a "ride" thing and you want a higher performance better handling machine then go BMW. On this tool you will enjoy the ride for the ride's sake. You might even decide to go to the Black Hills deliberately at other times to avoid the crowd, the noise, etc.

Your choice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
HEY! Sturgis is like Disney Land. You gotta go once. There was a time when the bike you rode may have made a difference, but not anymore. We help run a campground on the edge of town. All kinds of bikes there. Years ago I rode my first BMW there when BMW used to send a demo fleet. On a RT now, wife rides a Yamaha FJR 1300. I agree with some of the others. You're looking at some pretty different bikes. Don't just test ride, rent one for a day and see how different each bikes feels. Then get what you like and forget about what anybody else thinks.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
They are very different bikes. The RT is 250-300lbs lighter, goes better, stops a lot better and has quick detachable luggage. The XCT has more storage and roomier ergo. I would think the RT has better range too. Ride both bikes and see which one you like best. I test rode a Vision and while I think it's a better bike than the HD, it had shortcomings that I felt wouldn't work for me. The XCT takes care of one or may be two, but not the last which is brakes. Victory have brakes that are high effort and wooden in feel, at least the linked brakes on the Vision, which I believe are the same on the XCT. BMW brakes are incredible and only partial integral: The front brake lever actuates all the brakes, the rear pedal just the rear. They work fantastically.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I rode a friend's Victory about 200 miles while he was on my RT. The Victory is a fine bike. I could not wait to get my RT back and he was glad to get back on his Victory. So each to his own. But I still can't get over thinking of Bozo the Clown every time I see a Victory head on.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Moot said:
I rode a friend's Victory about 200 miles while he was on my RT. The Victory is a fine bike. I could not wait to get my RT back and he was glad to get back on his Victory. So each to his own. But I still can't get over thinking of Bozo the Clown every time I see a Victory head on.
Bozo or the alien from Independence Day.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you care more about getting a better bike, get the RT. If you care more about gaining the admiration of a bunch of Harley riders at a Sturgis freak fest, get the Victory.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow! Completely different bikes. I agree with what others have already said. First you need to decide what type of bike you'd like; Cruiser, Tourer, Sport-tourer, Sport, etc. Then you can begin to narrow your selection. With that said, if I was to buy a cruiser type bike, Victory would be the brand I'd buy.
What type of bikes have you had in the past? What things did you like and dislike about the bikes you've ridden? What do you intend to do with it (cruise on the weekend, tour across country, race..)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am making a deposit on a 2012 rt today and i cannot wait the only problem is that it is in Houston and I live in Denver but I am saving $3000.00 so I am buying it in Texas and I am in the moving business so I can get it hauled up here unless I decide to fly down and drive it back. I wanted to buy it from my local dealer but it was too much money to not buy it with a Texas dealer.
Just a side bar there is a 2005 in Denver with 750 miles at a Ducati store that is for sale the owner of the bike is 75 and he is getting out of bikes, but I already put a deposit on the 2012 just my luck. Oh well I will enjoy the tunes and the tech. advancements.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
moverstu said:
I am making a deposit on a 2012 rt today and i cannot wait the only problem is that it is in Houston and I live in Denver but I am saving $3000.00 so I am buying it in Texas and I am in the moving business so I can get it hauled up here unless I decide to fly down and drive it back. I wanted to buy it from my local dealer but it was too much money to not buy it with a Texas dealer.
Just a side bar there is a 2005 in Denver with 750 miles at a Ducati store that is for sale the owner of the bike is 75 and he is getting out of bikes, but I already put a deposit on the 2012 just my luck. Oh well I will enjoy the tunes and the tech. advancements.
The 2012 is a better bike and I wouldn't want a bike that old with only that mileage.

As an aside, Mike Abt at Countryside in Illinois does pretty good deals. I almost bought from him and sometimes wonder if I shouldn't have.

·
Registered
201 Posts
moverstu said:
Don't you have to pay sale taxes when you register it in your state of residence? Inquiring minds want to know ... :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
TeSmSp said:
Don't you have to pay sale taxes when you register it in your state of residence? Inquiring minds want to know ... :confused: :confused: :confused:
Yes, that would go for any vehicle. If he uses BMW financing, that would be taken care of no matter where he bought it, IIRC. Tax is tax. What he's saying is that excluding taxes, the bike in texas is $3000 cheaper. That's no small amount. With the world getting smaller due to the internet, local dealers have to realize that the competition isn't the dealer down the block, the next town or county: It's anywhere. Now, when it comes to manufacturers and dealers, we aren't the customer, the dealer is, and a case in point is Kawasaki. I heard that a lot of dealers were losing sales to particular dealers that advertised low prices online and on eBay. It got bad enough that Kawasaki said that dealers can't advertise anything other than list price. I guess market economics isn't something dealers want and the manufacturers side with the dealers. Keep this in mind when buying any vehicle.

·
Registered
543 Posts
moverstu said:
I am going to Sturgis this August and I am about to buy a BMW r1200 rt or a Victory Cross Country Tour. I am smitten with the BMW but am curious about what you guys think which bike is better. Am I going to get run over by the HD guys or is everyone just fine with non cruiser bikes these days.
I rode my RT out to Sturgis last year. Make sure you find the local BMW dealer. They have Sturgis BMW t-shirts.

You'll be glad you took an RT when you discover the twisties in the Black Hills :)
Ellie

·
Registered
461 Posts
I also rode to Sturgis last year on an RT , went in quietly , rode the "DA" bus around ,stayed 20 hrs , saw it all , rode 800 miles home . No problems because of bike brand . I now know being a hermit might be ok for me .

Bob G

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.