BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Not on a System 6, but I have had the J&M intercom for many years on various Schubert flip lids (Concepts and C2). Also, my brother has the same J&M kit on his HJC Symax. My wife has a J&M-outfitted Shoei - but that is a different installation, not involving a boom mike.

I love the J&M product because it is very sturdy and very loud. I had several other brands over the years, but they could not compare as far as audio volume. I ride with earplugs and have no problem with listening to the audio whatsoever.

Just FYI, I use the helmets both on the LT and on my GS, which carries the J&M Integrator 4 in the tankbag - same connectors.

Hopefully, a System 6 owner will jump in here with more details. As food for thought, on the Schuberts I removed the boom mike from the clamp and glued the boom between the shell and the plastic edge of the cheek pad (I can post a picture if you need). That made for a cleaner install, IMHO.

The only negative comment is that the upper connecting cable from helmet connector to the coiled cord gets stressed and may ultimately fail. This is probably not a big issue on the LT, but rather on the GS - when riding standing up for long distances, I really stretch the coils. (I broke 2 cords that way in maybe 7-8 years of use).

Still, I am very pleased with the J&M setup.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
rdwalker said:
(Snip)
Just FYI, I use the helmets both on the LT and on my GS, which carries the J&M Integrator 4 in the tankbag - same connectors.
(Snip)
I am very pleased with the J&M setup.
I, like Robert, am also a J&M fan, and have the same J&M Integrator in my Tiger's Tank Bag so I can use the helmet on both Bikes as well.

John

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hermann

If you go to this page there are various instructions for fitting Autocom headsets into various helmets including a System 5 which should give you some useful pointers.

Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi! Thanks for answer. The Autocom headset is different. Had one earlier on a previous GoldWing in an System3 helmet. Problem with System6 and J&M is the mic boom and the clamp. The clamp for the mic boom are unpossible to fit. Have spooken to J&M and after that given up the project. Pitty since the helmet is very nice. Have order Scorpion helmets from J&M with headset installed. Not sure what to do with the BMW helmet. Maybe use it when driving the snowmobile.

Regards
Hermann

·
Registered
989 Posts
hermannw said:
...Problem with System6 and J&M is the mic boom and the clamp. The clamp for the mic boom are unpossible to fit. ...
Hermann: before you give up on what I consider to be the BEST motorcycling intercom/audio set and relegate it for snowmobile duty, have a look at the modifications I did on every Schuberth I ever owned.

In the first photo, on the right is an original Concept with an HJC intercom. On the left, a C2 with a J&M intercom. In both cases, I removed the boom clamp, slightly loosened the Torx screws holding on the plastic cheek piece and glued the mike boom in (using epoxy). Better detail is shown in the second photo.

These setups have worked very well for me over many years.

For a determined motorcyclist and gadget aficionado, there is no such thing as impossible! :wave

Regards, Robert.

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
hermannw said:
...How did you mount the clamp with the connector on the helmet?
I removed the boom from the clamp completely. This way you only have this flexible stalk with the wires sticking out of the back. I loosened the small Torx screws next to the visor pivot - that way I could spread the cheek pad away from the plastic cover. Now that there was space between the cheekpad and the cover, I shoved the boom stalk inside and epoxied in place, routing the wire to the back. As you can see in the picture, I made a small notch in the cover to route the microphone stalk out. Once the glue was in, I tightened everything back together.
It's very simple, but it takes some time and experimentation to be certain everything fits: obviously, the installation is permanent.

The cable connector clamp is mounted further back on the edge of the shell, where it does not interfere with the flip jaw piece. Since it did not fit well on the actual edge because of the curvature, I took the clamp apart and drilled 2 holes through the helmet shell to mount it (sandwiching the shell between the clamp pieces). I'll take a picture tonight.

As said, this requires a bit of work, but I think that it is worthwhile.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hermann, here is a photo of the J&M cable connector. The clamp normally goes around the mike boom and clamps onto the edge of helmet shell.

In this case, I removed the boom and split the clamp into two pieces. THe back of the clamp is now behind the helmet shell, underneath the padding. I drilled two holes for the screws that pull the clamp together, on both sides of the shell.

As you'll notice, I also cut a small notch in the plastic edge, to cleanly route the wires under the neck curtain.

I hope this gives you an idea of my modifications.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
do not feel bad about having trouble mounting headsets in the Schuberth helmet, it is a PITA to work on.

Step :

1. Find out where the center of your ear is in relation to the helmet liner.

2. After finding the center remove the cheedpads from the helmet .

3. strip the cover away from the cheekpads (carefully we will reuse this after we are finished)

4. using the J&M speakers as a pattern draw the shape of the speaker on the styrofoam.

5. Using a hot soldering iron (pencil type) melt away the offending styrofoam so the speakers can be recessed into the helmet cheekpads)

6. Check to see where the mike boomcan exit the helmet without interfering with the latch. melt away a path for the mike........and cut out the plastic to allow the boom to exit and fit in front of your mouth.

7. Send it to me I hate this helmet but would put the headsets in for you if you wish....

Kieth ps (it will cost you) :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts