BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving into the cooler months here in Sydney and we've had a s***load of rain lately. Most of my riding is commuting in stop/start city traffic, so the windshield doesn't really get to do a great job of dissipating the rain at slower speeds.
I'm finding the System 5 helmet I bought about 6 months ago fogs too easily when fully closed, and with a first-click open position that leaves the visor about 20mm (~3/4") up at the bottom edge (way too much, just need a couple of mm to let air in), it leaks like a sieve once the rain gets a little heavier than "misty". I wear glasses while riding too, so getting water drops on them is a nightmare.

I'm well aware of the various anti-fog wipe on treatments which I haven't had a lot of success with, and found a link to the "Pinlock" system which isn't available out here, but couldn't make a lot of sense out of how it works from their web site (apparently it's integrated into the new System 6 helmet?). And I dont really want to have to wear an anti-fog facemask as its not that cold here (about 10 deg C at worst in winter).

Has anyone tried doing any mods to the visor to minimise the fogging?
I'm thinking of drilling a couple of small holes down the bottom of the visor to try to vent some air directly towards my face, so that I can keep the visor completely closed to stop water leaking in from the top/sides... might get a little through the holes but I think that would be minimal compared to what I'm getting now.

Anyone tried anything like this before with any success (or not)?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I have one of these in my Arai and it made a world of difference this past winter.---> http://www.modernworld.com/mw2008/index.php I have the Proshield in clear. One thing to note, when riding in the dark, oncoming headlights, streetlights, etc. have a second image on the shield higher or lower than where they really are depending on your viewing angle. It's a little disconcerting at first, but you get used to it and don't notice after a while.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Lee.

I"ve pinged them an email with a couple of question. They don't ship outside the US, but that hasn't stopped me before with the help of forum members here!
cheers mate

·
Registered
773 Posts
That opening seems a bit excessive. I have broken one of the visor lugs and the first indent is missing and I have the symptons you describe. The Pinlock effectively make it a double glazed visor which may hlp but I find my glasses still fog up. For winter and wet weather I use a full face with one of these Have not worked out a way to get it fitted in my System 5.

Regards

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Graham.
Had a look at the Foggy Mask, but it does specify "NOTE: The Foggy® Breathguard cannot be used with full face helmets that flip up at the front." so seems to that rules it out for the System 5. I've seen other similar ones locally that wrap around your head and connect with velcro tabs at the rear, but I think they are just too bulky, and they smell like my old wetsuits (being made from neoprene rubber)!
I did drill 3 x 3/16" holes at the bottom of the visor yesterday, but found I still get fogging. There's just not enough airflow behind the LT windshield to move air through the holes to the face....
I'll keep hunting for a solution.
cheers
Chris

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi Chris
I am up on the NSW border with the Gold Coast, living in the hinterand. I have an R 1200Rt and a system 5, also commuting and exactly the same problem. Tried all sorts of potions and spells, nothing works. Crack it open a stop and the bl.... thing leaks like a submarine with the hatch open.
let me know if you come up with a solution . Also if your headed this way let me know and I will show you some of the best riding roads in Australia. This is riding heaven.
all the best
Paul

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Paul.
Would love to get up that way and ride the hills, alas I have to keep working to keep the bike going... ;-)

I decided its worth experimenting and throwing a few dollars at it... at worst I'll have to fork out for a new BMW visor at the end of it... and throw away the bits and pieces.

I'm waiting on the next shipment of FogCity visor inserts to come in through NH Importers in Sydney, supposed to be due this week. About $30 for the insert (Hypershield clear)
http://www.nfimporters.com.au/store/browse.php?cat_id=76&prod_brand_id=1

Have drilled 3 holes at the bottom of the visor, and put on a SuperVisor sun guard which is detachable... in the 1-click position (shown below) the level of the shade is about right, fully closed its a bit too far down, I need to try to peel off the tabs (I bought a spare pair) and put it a little bit higher.

Still trying to figure out the best way to get that slight gap open, rather than the full click. (your description of sub-hatch being open was excellent, btw! :rotf: )

cheers

·
Registered
455 Posts
cws said:
Hi Paul.
Would love to get up that way and ride the hills, alas I have to keep working to keep the bike going... ;-)

I decided its worth experimenting and throwing a few dollars at it... at worst I'll have to fork out for a new BMW visor at the end of it... and throw away the bits and pieces.

I'm waiting on the next shipment of FogCity visor inserts to come in through NH Importers in Sydney, supposed to be due this week. About $30 for the insert (Hypershield clear)
http://www.nfimporters.com.au/store/browse.php?cat_id=76&prod_brand_id=1

Have drilled 3 holes at the bottom of the visor, and put on a SuperVisor sun guard which is detachable... in the 1-click position (shown below) the level of the shade is about right, fully closed its a bit too far down, I need to try to peel off the tabs (I bought a spare pair) and put it a little bit higher.

Still trying to figure out the best way to get that slight gap open, rather than the full click. (your description of sub-hatch being open was excellent, btw! :rotf: )

cheers
Let me know how it works out mate. I am interested in solving the problem as I commute and lately the rain has been bucketing.
best regards

·
Registered
509 Posts
Another option might be to get one of the Pinlock inserts (not the sheild itself, but the smaller insert...the part that clips onto the pins inside the shield). Then get a couple of the replacement pins (they supply two when you extras when you buy the shielf, but I would think you could get them separtely too). Install the two pins in your existing sheild, pop in the insert, and forget about it.

I recently installed the Pinlock system on my Shoei and it's superb. Not a bit of fog since.

For what it's worth, there are a number of sellers on eBay that will indicate they will ship pinklock stuff to Oz.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts