BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced excessive smoking from the K1200LT after sitting on its side stand for a day?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Stop parking it on the side stand...

This is a know issue with the high quality BMW product. :mad:

Instead of dumping all the oil on to a parking lot like HD and poluting the soil and waterways, BMW burns the oil off and destroys the atmosphere.
The two manufacturers are more alike than you would think.

·
Registered
211 Posts
All of them will do this. I think its just one of the characteristics of this engine. If, when you go to park it, keep the bike upright, then cut off the engine and hold it in the upright position for just a little bit, then put it on the side stand, I have heard that it wont smoke when you crank it the next time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys,
Thanks. I just stopped parking on side stand. My ride home was one very smoky ride, looked like junior after he blew his engine last weekend.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
If you pull up and use the side stand to cut the ignition, then plop it over and rest the bike there..........what happens in a nut shell is that the warm oil settles into the skirts of the pistons.............like was just mentioned; let the bike relax in a neutral position for a few moments before you lean it over and the oil will drain out of the skirts .............or; put it on the center stand and don't worry about it................ :cool:

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
After reading about why it does it here, I started turning off my bike and then removing my gloves and helmet before putting her on the side stand. Now she doesn't smoke.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
MikeERideWNC said:

Instead of dumping all the oil on to a parking lot like HD and poluting the soil and waterways, BMW burns the oil off and destroys the atmosphere.
Yah, fer sure.

At least on der Bimmer you don't have to bend down and pick up little pieces after you've parked. :D

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Yah, fer sure.

At least on der Bimmer you don't have to bend down and pick up little pieces after you've parked. :D
Very true ... BMW pieces a MUCH larger than Harley pieces! Harley's lose nuts and bolts. BMWs lost final drives, drive shafts, etc.

:rotf:

·
Registered
475 Posts
MikeERideWNC said:

It's not a quality issue, this is a side effect of the brick style engines.

You can't compare an HD to the LT. The HD is using technology from the 1970's, and the LT is the most modern motorcycle around.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Caveno said:

You can't compare an HD to the LT. The HD is using technology from the 1970's, and the LT is the most modern motorcycle around.
...and so when was the "brick" first introduced? ;) :D

Why.... 1983!

I think the Bee Gees were big back then too, not long after Elvis puked.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Caveno said:

The LT design is somewhere between 5 and 25 years old, depending on how and what you count. There are a number of more modern motorcycles.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You guys are missing the point of it... its a undocumented smoke screen feature for the James Bond types to escape the bad guy's who want to ask silly questions about BMW making motorcycles. Come on get with the program.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My LT would smoke on start up maybe one time out of 50 after being parked over 8 hours on the side stand. This past spring I switched oil brands for the first time in 5 years. I switched to Royal Purple 15W40 from Ames Oil 20W50. I didn't notice anything different till a friend and I went went for a ride. After returning he said my bike smoked quite a bit for the first 1/2 mile, I didn't think anything of it at the time. Well after I thought about his comment for a day or 2 it occurred to me that it has been smoking quit often at start up. I then checked the oil level and it was a little under half of the sight glass(normally at the top). In the 4-1/2 years that I have had this LT I never went thru that much oil in 7000 miles and I have less then 2000 on this oil. So right off I thought the worst (rings or seals). I then remembered that the Royal purple was 15W40 but that shouldn't make any difference I tell myself. A couple of days latter (still thinking about the my oil burner), I was at Wally World picking up oil for the car and right next to the 5 qt container of Mobile One i had my hand on, there was can of STP. Hmm what could it hurt, in the cart it went. After getting home and shaking off the pain in my finger tips from removing the oil fill cap on the LT, i topped off the oil with the STP (8ozs). 5 weeks and1500 miles later the oil level is still at the top of the sight glass and not one smokey start up. In my case i belive that the slight velocity change between the 20W50 and 15W40 was just enough to let oil seep between the rings.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Its a feature. An auto pre-ignition oiler. Designed to have the Cylinders lubed up on the first stroke even before the engine catches. You don't even have to fill the oil filter with oil on your oil changes. ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
you guys are badly misinformed if you think
Harleys drip and shed parts. they may look
like the 70's, but a assure you my five year
old Softail Heritage and both of the other
ones I have owned never leaked a drop
and never shed a part. If my BMW can
say that after five years, I'll be proud to
brag about it also.......

·
Registered
794 Posts
loboheritage said:
Harleys drip and shed parts...
Let's just pretend that I wrench on a lot of motorcycles...

Why do all my friends that bring their Harley's to the house complain about loosing parts and leaks?
Those leaks aren't automatic chain oilers... I don't think the belts get oil. :histerica

So you where lucky wiht your HD purchase.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
loboheritage said:
Harleys drip and shed parts. they may look
like the 70's, but a assure you my five year
old Softail Heritage and both of the other
ones I have owned never leaked a drop
and never shed a part.
How many miles on that Softail after five years?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
What has helped for me in the past, tips from this site, are, once you sit on the bike what a few seconds before cranking it up. Also while the engine is off and in first gear, push forward or back, so the cylinder opens a hair, I guess to drain the little bit that dripped in the cylinder head. Sometime it still puffs up once in awhile.

I think the best for the anti-smoke was a trip to Alaska and back. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts