BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW FD/DS "Inspection" service If you r read German or can get a translator to work. If not here you go.

BMW SERVICE CAMPAIGNOver 400,000 BMW GS for cardan check
Major construction sites in the BMW workshops: The cardan is to be checked and a vent valve retrofitted on a total of 440,000 motorcycles worldwide, especially on the R 1250 GS and R 1200 GS from 2013.

Mike Black
07/15/2022
"In order to improve long-term quality", according to BMW Motorrad's official formulation, the authorized workshops are currently being prepared for a very extensive service campaign: the cardan shafts of a total of 440,000 motorcycles worldwide are to be checked over the course of the next few months, ideally as part of the scheduled inspections will. 72,000 of them in Germany alone. The campaign primarily affects BMW's most important model: the boxer GS. Specifically, the R 1250 GS and the R 1200 GS from year of manufacture 2013, both type K50, as well as the respective adventure variants, type K51. In addition, there is the official version RT, type K52.

Alpen Masters 2021: BMW R 1250 GS
1:07 min.
Universal joint, articulation angle, corrosion
Background according to BMW, from a message to the dealers: "Service campaign during the next visit to the workshop - retrofit drainage in the swingarm and check the cardan shaft. Damage to the cardan shaft occasionally occurs, which impairs the function of the drive. In individual cases, propulsion can be lost Several factors contribute to the occurrence of damage.Corrosion effects, among others, play a role if they occur at functionally relevant points.Signs of wear caused by running time or particular climatic and dynamic loads can also lead to component damage. These effects can be caused by the geometric chassis design (kink angle of the universal joints in the swing arm) be reinforced."

R 1200 GS, R 1250 GS and official RT
Apparently, a conspicuous accumulation of cardan defects was found in the Boxer GS from year of manufacture 2013 (with water-cooled engine) and in the R 1200 RT and R 1250 RT in the official version. With the GS, the cardan is subject to greater stress due to the concept, because of the longer spring deflection and the associated articulation angle between the cardan tunnel and the rear axle drive. This is where the cardan's rear universal joint is located. In addition, depending on the user, there is more or less tough enduro use. In any case, the authorities' RT are subjected to above-average strain, for example when driving over high curbs.

[IMG]

Cardan check with special device
So that the cardan does not have to be opened on all 440,000 motorcycles concerned, every authorized workshop is to be given a special test device. Instead of the rear wheel, a measuring disk is mounted, and then the cardan is dragged over the rear axle while idling, that is, rotated. This stress test runs over various load changes and speeds, with sensors monitoring the forces and vibrations. If everything stays within the predefined normal range, the checked gimbal is considered "okay". If there are any abnormalities, a closer look is taken. In particular, the universal joint with its four roller bearings, but also the gearing to the rear axle drive is checked for rust and damage. Should parts then have to be replaced,

Vent hole with beak valve
In principle, a vent on the cardan tunnel is retrofitted during this service campaign. For this purpose, a small hole is drilled on the underside in the rear area, near the universal joint, using a prepared template. In order to avoid the formation of potentially harmful metal chips, the drill should be lubricated beforehand. A rubber beak valve is then inserted into this hole using a kind of piercing tool. This special valve is intended to seal the hole to the outside, but allow air and, above all, moisture to escape from the cardan tunnel. This ventilation is supported by the pumping movements during compression and rebound. If water runs out immediately after drilling, this is also a reason to inspect the cardan more closely.

45 minutes per motorcycle
A total of 45 minutes are planned for the cardan check including retrofitting the ventilation. Of course, this campaign is free of charge - at least for the customers, BMW will incur some costs.

Cardan ventilation now in series
Since October 2021, the Paralever single-sided swingarms of the BMW R 1250 GS and R 1250 GS Adventure have been equipped with ventilation ex works. As a precaution, since November 2021 the swingarms of all other models with paralever and cardan as well. A second duckbill valve is also used in the front area of the swingarm bearing, so that the cardan can exhale condensation even better. In the case of water ingress through leaks and/or mishandling of high-pressure cleaners, the chances of drying are at least more favorable and therefore less favorable for the formation of rust.

CONCLUSION
As a precaution, BMW has checked the cardan shaft on 440,000 motorcycles and retrofitted with ventilation. That's better - and no reason to panic. Affected owners do not have to go to the workshop immediately, they can wait for their next appointment.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R 1250 RT, 2020 BMW R 1250 GSA, 2014 HD FLHTK, 2005 Honda Goldwing
96 Posts
While I can comprehend the circumstances surrounding the GS/A models, I do not understand why only the official versions of the RT are being investigated for damage. The shaft drive and it's layout appears to be identical to my untrained eyes.

·
Banned
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IT IS NOT USE!

It is dry metal sliding against dry metal causing the joint to fret and then rust.

fret,ˈfret, verb
fretted; fretting
  1. to eat or gnaw into : corrodefray
    rub, chafe

It is just so easy to do and yet some insist it is not needed. Tell all those who have had to chisel their FD/DS apart.

When all this plays out BMW opened a can of worms they did not want to open. They are going to see and pay for the line not lubing them. There is a guy from NZ that they replaced his DS on this Service.

They are using some type of tool or dial caliper or something to measure movement in the swing arm. This is telling them if the FD/DS are sliding or rust welded together. Again some say it don't move but BMW is using some type of tool or gauge to measure movement.

From what I read they are going to the FD/DS housing and drilling the hole, if they hit water or thier mesurment comes back bad, they move on to the shaft.

Please remember they are NOT lubing the FD/DS splines unless they have a bad reading or hit water. Then it may be fret has caused it, they replace the DS.

The only one Service I have read was in NZ and that is what they did to his bike. Replaced the DS.

I can tell you it will not be pretty and BMW is going to pay through the nose for 75 cents worth of lube they did not use on the line.

Reactions: reg26

·
Registered
96 Posts
From what I understood, from what I read, BMW takes the position that the "official RT's" ie: the police bikes, get harder usage that normal.
That might be a bit presumptuous on BMW's part. This thinking will apply to CHP and other, major metropolitan areas, particular those in warmer regions.
At the same time, the two BMW police bikes in the town I live in are used mostly for ceremonial purposes and are otherwise rarely seen during the year. Pretty much the same applies to most of the smaller communities around our town with only one or two bikes in their fleet. Meanwhile the guy on the other end of town is a hardcore iron butt rider, accumulating serious miles. I find myself somewhere in between those two extremes but most likely with more annual miles than the two police bikes. It would therefore seem reasonable (based on mileage) to have the DS and FD on all RT's checked and modified as well.

·
Banned
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That might be a bit presumptuous on BMW's part. This thinking will apply to CHP and other, major metropolitan areas, particular those in warmer regions.
At the same time, the two BMW police bikes in the town I live in are used mostly for ceremonial purposes and are otherwise rarely seen during the year. Pretty much the same applies to most of the smaller communities around our town with only one or two bikes in their fleet. Meanwhile the guy on the other end of town is a hardcore iron butt rider, accumulating serious miles. I find myself somewhere in between those two extremes but most likely with more annual miles than the two police bikes. It would therefore seem reasonable (based on mileage) to have the DS and FD on all RT's checked and modified as well.
Yes and 85% of GS/GSA are not hardcore trail riders. Most never leave the street.

This is a service for any BMW shaft drive motorcycle. Not just GS/GSA/Police RT.

It is a very simple and easy task to do and is well worth the owners time.

My only comment would be if it is really frozen together, button it up and make an appointment. You may find yourself with a new shaft drive or you may be left holding the bag.

Not sure how it is going to play out here in the USA. As I say the only report of hearing this done was in New Zealand and they replaced his shaft drive.

Not the end of the world but it needs looked at and done. I did mine new on my 17.5 GS and I beleive that it is something that does not need done very often. How often would deprnd on use, storage, climate, and if near the sea I would think this would contribute to this issue a lot.

While it is blamed on hard use and water crossings it is really just the cycle of humidity working on that bare contact point. A bit of time and molly and ensuring you seal the boot well with Staburags NBU 30 PTM.

My boot was sealed very well on my new 17.5 GS. Very well. This is what I found new. It needs molly.

Or you can pretend this does not affect you or does not need done and you end up with this:

Reactions: 60Aviator

·
Registered
190 Posts
Right now the best thing is if yours is part of the Service Enhancement get it to the dealer once they get the tools and parts they need. Only issue is they don't drop drive unit unless it fails the check. My dealer didn't even know until I told them and then after they read it (couldn't send it to me but I hope to read it when I take the bike in) he asked how many miles on my GSA and when I said 73,000 miles he said the message said replace drive shaft if over 36,000 miles. So I am waiting on the call when they get everything in (service manager had no idea when as the supply chain is still crazy). I also said replace both boots while you are at it even though that is not covered but everything else is.

I have dropped my final drive twice on the GSA (no water crossings) and it needed it both times. I did my 21 RT at 12,000 mile service and it was bone dry and some rust was starting already.

Reactions: LAF

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have seen BMW's solution and I am not convinced that it will work. The drain valve is barely secured and it seems that a ride over rough terrain, brush, or a robust bike wash could easily dislodge the rubber drain valve, leaving the housing with a hole. Putting another 8 MM hole in the rubber seal leaves me wondering what other debris might find its way into the joint below it. Both are purely uneducated, practical concern on my part.
Moly keeps water at bay but for how long? Won't the heat and spinning shaft fling the lube all over the inner housing and eventually no longer benefit the components its meant to protect? Lot's of questions.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have seen BMW's solution and I am not convinced that it will work. The drain valve is barely secured and it seems that a ride over rough terrain, brush, or a robust bike wash could easily dislodge the rubber drain valve, leaving the housing with a hole. Putting another 8 MM hole in the rubber seal leaves me wondering what other debris might find its way into the joint below it. Both are purely uneducated, practical concern on my part.
Moly keeps water at bay but for how long? Won't the heat and spinning shaft fling the lube all over the inner housing and eventually no longer benefit the components its meant to protect? Lot's of questions.
Did the first spline lube at 12,000 miles on my GSA and it needed it. Some rust on splines and the universal joint itself. Cleaned it and put moly paste on splines and where it was on joint. Did it again at 36,000 miles (inner housing was paste free) and splines were good but some rust on other areas of joint. Pulled back upper boot and the forward joint looked fine. Seems rear universal and rear drive area are more prone to rust issues. Poor coating that BMW uses on shaft doesn't help too. At least if you lube it you can drop rear drive later since the splines won't rust up. Waiting to see what the old drive shaft looks like when they replace it under this service campaign at 73,000 miles. I haven't done any water crossings, ridden in a lot of downpours, and use a garden hose for washing, avoiding direct spray on the boots. Same concerns about this valve as apparently it is easy to push into the housing and how does it work.

Reactions: Dalton 5

·
Registered
96 Posts
@60Aviator
Thank you for the informative, helpful response. My bikes are fairly young and I am going to wait and see what else transpires on this matter. Will work with the dealer to ensure that splines and joints are properly lubed at all times.
Thank's again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts