BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the Service Bulletin number or date. My N Idaho dealer can't find anything about a rear brake squeal on a 05-06 K12LT. Yes I have the "Squeal" and it is bad.

From the site:
My rear brakes squeal and don't work well. What can I do?
This has been a common complaint. Many on the list have had their scored rotors and pads replaced under warranty. BMW is now making a new pad to solve the problem but initial comments where that there is no improvement on braking action. The simple solution seems to be to immediately change your pads to EBC's.
EBC makes a direct replacement pad (FA304 Kevlar) that is easier on your rotor but does not improve brake function. The also now make a sintered pad (FA304HH) that works MUCH better. However, the FA304HH is new (as of mid-2002) and can be hard to find. If you don't mind a little more work and want better rear brake function right away, you can use EBC FA244HH sintered pads (made for some random Ducati). However, these require a slight modification. Instructions are at http://www.sayegh.org/bmw/brakes.htm You can also buy pads that are modified already at the same site.

UPDATE: There is a new service bulletin from BMW that addresses this issue. Several folks have had their rear brake rotors replaced with one of a new design by their dealers under warranty. If your brakes make noise, try asking your dealer fix it per the service bulletin.

·
Registered
710 Posts
From the Hall of Wisdom recall list:

34 005 04 (052) Rear brake noise, K1200LT

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Al,

Mine squeek too and I have recently read that replacing with SBS LF Ceramic pads have worked well for a few LT'ers and can be had from Dennis Kirk, # 198042 for $29.00.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. I'm just a little slower than some!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts