BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from a trip in the Alps with my BMW Santiago jacket and am very happy with its performance. Although not sold as a waterproof jacket, it kept me warm and dry in rain, snow and sleet. I believe I would have gotten wet or damp in heavy rain though. I do not have the Santiago liner but rather used my Gerbing's underneath. The jacket appears very well made using extremely durable materials, however another person on my tour had one where the zipper handle broke where the plastic end met the metal piece. The styling is very attractive as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
More Questions

Thanks for the review. Very helpful. I am a new rider and am in the market for apparel and I like the styling of the Santiago items and I don't really care for the leather stuff. Can you or any other readers give me an idea of how the system works in regards to waterproofing? Is the liner intended to be a waterproof layer? If so, does the jacket just get soaking wet while on a ride and you have to deal with that until it dries? I'm thinking of coming into work or stopping to eat along the road and having a bunch of dripping clothes to deal with. I am very naive on the subject. I have done some backpacking and most waterproofing scenarios employ an outer shell and liners and underlayers are primarily for warmth. It would seem you would need one simple to pack system that would offer protection, waterproofing, and layering both from a space and cost standpoint. Anywhere I can go read up on this to help me get started?
Thanks,

·
Registered
807 Posts
Get Gore-Tex

Dan,

Find a Gore-Tex jacket. Hein Gericke Eco is what I have and it is perfect. It also has Euro shields for crash protection [back, elbow, shoulder] yet so comfortable that you would not know the shields are there. Light weight yet no wind or rain penetrates. It has a light vest inside that adds a thin layer. This can be easily removed. This is built for riders, featuring lots of detailed closures at wrists and superb detailing. I commute here in Cleveland, Ohio, weather and this jacket does the trick. Even though I own a BMW heated vest, since I got the Gore Tex jacket, I have not worn my vest.

Good luck with your shopping.

·
Registered
435 Posts
jackets

I've been thru a few different jackets but have always used the darien pants with an aerostich fleece liner (100 wt) under the pants in cold weather. My first layer in cold is a full set of duo-folds long johns, very thin and very good. I use the gerbings windproof liner/jacket underneath.

My workplace won't let us thru security anymore without either reflectors or vests (which I refuse to wear) and 'bright' colors however you want to define that (they sure as hell can't).

So I sold my Darien jacket and bought a BMW savannah 2. It took several phone calls to try and find my size, I think las vegas BMW found one size 48 in canada!! Those folks are great. They are looking for pants to match now, but not the solid black (they are silver like the coat theme).

I liked my Dariens and they have saved my arse many times. But..I can say I will never go back to anything else (unless I like the fit/looks) after getting this jacket. Ya, it was expensive but I used it on a biz trip to MN last week and it works/feels just great. Somebody did their homework!

I didn't want the santigo if I could get the savannah (by the way, you can get the red ones for a song, way overstocked, just couldn't find the silver/black theme in my size without help).

For additional wind/cold/rain protection I always carry the firstgear raincoat. For a max outer layer of protection, get the full firstgear rainsuit but with gortex (hefty price tag, about 400 for both), the SO uses a full rain suit when needed.

I seldom put the rain coat on. Unless you hit a frog choker, I seem to stay dry long as I'm moving.

good luck...geo

·
Registered
637 Posts
Do you have a web url address for somebody selling the red santiago's at bargain over-stocked prices?

·
Registered
435 Posts
red santiago

I will check with the SO today, she is in scottsdale, AZ and I believe the deals were at one of the local dealers there (victory and chandler maybe?). Soon as the time diff catches up I'll get a reply and post it for you. Once you wear one of these things, I'm not sure you'd go back to anything else...regards...geo

·
Registered
350 Posts
dglenn1 said:
Thanks for the review. Very helpful. I am a new rider and am in the market for apparel and I like the styling of the Santiago items and I don't really care for the leather stuff. Can you or any other readers give me an idea of how the system works in regards to waterproofing? Is the liner intended to be a waterproof layer? If so, does the jacket just get soaking wet while on a ride and you have to deal with that until it dries? I'm thinking of coming into work or stopping to eat along the road and having a bunch of dripping clothes to deal with. I am very naive on the subject. I have done some backpacking and most waterproofing scenarios employ an outer shell and liners and underlayers are primarily for warmth. It would seem you would need one simple to pack system that would offer protection, waterproofing, and layering both from a space and cost standpoint. Anywhere I can go read up on this to help me get started?
Thanks,
Unfortunately the recent trend in textile jackets is to have the waterproofing in the liner. I find this flawed. I like the jacket to be waterproof because when it starts to rain I can just keep riding. With a waterproof liner you have to stop, take off the jacket and put in the liner (maybe in the rain). It would be easier to put on a rainsuit over the jacket. And how about those warm days when you don't need a liner? And like you said, when you get to your destination your riding gear is soaked.
I use FirstGear jacket and pants - waterproof - along with waterproof boots and gloves. I removed the liners and use Gerbings heated liners instead. With this setup I reduced the amount of gear I need to take on a trip.

Bruce Hodges
Kansas City

·
Registered
435 Posts
re, DaBubba...

Apparently Ironhorse in Tucson, AZ got a couple hundred savannah's delivered all at once. We think BMW must designate a couple of dealers for overstocks, that one and possibly brown (not sure where they are but they do have a website).

I would give ironhorse a call, the SO said the coats were going for half or less than half price, around 250 bucks or so, for the red theme.

I'll try and find the brown website and post it as a backup in case you can't find your size. Both places had them on sale, the price differred by about 50 bucks (one around 250, brown around 299 I think)...

let us know what you find....geo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts