BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i bought my fiancee a heated saddle from for xmas. it doesn't heat. i've checked the plug under the saddle. the green is hot and the brown is ground. they are working. i've checked the saddle for continuity with the switch in all three positions. the center is off and the other two positions are on. i can't zero my ohm meter so, i don't know the ohm values for those positions. does anyone know those ohm values for a stock BMW heated passenger saddle? also i didn't buy the heated back rest. is the heated back rest necessary for the operation of the passenger heated saddle as they share a common plug under the passenger seat? there are four wires at the plug under the seat. two are for the saddle and a shop tech from a&s said the other two wires are for the back rest although that doesn't appear that is the case unless the other two wires are routed to where the back rest would plug in. does any one know the specifics of that aspect of the wiring? and yes i have tried the seat with the switch on and the engine running as well as being under way ( that is while riding for 10 or more miles). in case it is important, the lt is a 2000. i don't know for sure but i think the heated seat harness was factory installed although the riders saddle was an add on. the original owner said he bought the seat later. thanks omurphy

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I just checked the schematic, and the backrest does not need to be there for the passenger seat to work. They are wired parallel, both are powered when the switch is in either on position.

Sounds like your plug/socket has a problem. If the continuity is there on the seat side, and the power there on the bike side, then you should have heat.

Possibly when the seat was put together they wired the plug incorrectly? Be sure the brown wire from the bike connector is to battery negative.

The Green/Brown wire to the plug is Battery positive, those are the only two that need connection to the passenger seat.

As a test the other two, the Black one and the Grey one go to the backrest, and if you check them with the seat plugged in there should be voltage on one or the other depending on which "on" position the switch is in.

·
Registered
222 Posts
With the rear seat switch in the forward position (turned on low) the value is 27 ohms. In the rear position (turned on high) the value is 12 ohms. This was measured with the connector pulled apart and the meter leads from the green/brown wire to the brown wire.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Might just be that the connector wasn’t sealed when not used, so it oxidized. The test probe end made contact, but the contact between the connector halves isn’t good enough for the current to flow.
Bob

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
answer to problem

i finally got the problem sorted out with the seat. i had to get her butt on the thing. once o.peggy was in the saddle the heat could build up. previously when i tested it, i turned it on left it on for a while and put my hand on it. it wouldn't feel warm. after all the seat only uses around seven and 16 watts.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Rear seat heating problem

Another product very helpful in maintaining electrical conductivit while retarding/eliminating corrosion is CORROSION X, a product from CORROSION TECHNOLOGIES. For Scuba diving, we use this product applied to electrical connectors and also on stainless steel such as knife blades to prevent rusting due to salt water. There are copious opportunities throughout the LT to use this product and it is VERY effective! Check with your local distributor or get on line at www.corrosionx.com

Terry

·
Registered
635 Posts
TSQUARED said:
Another product very helpful in maintaining electrical conductivit while retarding/eliminating corrosion is CORROSION X, a product from CORROSION TECHNOLOGIES. For Scuba diving, we use this product applied to electrical connectors and also on stainless steel such as knife blades to prevent rusting due to salt water. There are copious opportunities throughout the LT to use this product and it is VERY effective! Check with your local distributor or get on line at www.corrosionx.com

Terry
Or you could use one of the products that we sell from CAIG Laboratories. DeoxIT D5 is specifically made to clean electrical connections, switches, etc and PreservIT is designed to protect electrical connections, switches, etc in severe conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts