BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might know I'm a new owner of a '03 K1200LT Custom.

In my owners manual bag, was a '09 BMW Owners Anonymous book. I was suprised that there was a few more BMW owners in my town than I knew of (Houma, La., I only know of three us). I did some research and searches on the BMWMOA and it seems to well worth the $40 dollars a year.

Granted I currently rarely go farther than 100 or so miles from the house. Don't laugh, as a V-Max owner and having to fill up every 100miles, I always kept my trips closer to home. Starting to travel a bit further with this comfortable big girl.

With my Blackberry always present, I always have access to my favorite resouce (BMWLT.com).

I just want some Pros/Cons of BMWMOA, BMWRA and various other groups.

And for you BMWMOA members, I know the book isn't supposed to be given to non-members. I simple keep it in my saddlebag for emergency situations.


James Scott

'07 V-Max :yeah:
'03 K1200LT Custom :bmw: now with 2 straight weeks (out of 4) without setting her on the right side backing up. :histerica (Thank god for the Black front bumper!)
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,601 Posts
I've had a BMW for about 6 years & have been a BMWMOA member the same. If only for the Anonymous Book alone the price is worth it. Also the Owners News is a great mag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
BMW owners in my town than I knew of (Houma, La., I only know of three us)

I am in Walker, La. Was down your way a few weeks ago, 6 hour round trip taking the back roads. If you plan on getting up near Baton Rouge let me know I will go meet you.
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,156 Posts
Personally I am a bit disappointed with the BMWOA magazine. There seems to be mostly articles and photos of people I don't know who keep patting themselves on the back for a job well some at some function, and the tech articles seem to revolve around airheads, which does me absolutely no good. These people also like CAMPING! :eek: I do however enjoy reading the tours in foreign lands.:thumb:
In all I get more more from this forum and it better fits my lifestyle because of the bike I ride and the type of riding I do. I also made many friends here over the years, attended 3 CCRs (NOT camping, no sirree!:rolleyes: :D), several tech sessions, and learned a great deal from the master brains of this community. YMMV! :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
zippy_gg said:
Personally I am a bit disappointed with the BMWOA magazine. There seems to be mostly articles and photos of people I don't know who keep patting themselves on the back for a job well some at some function, and the tech articles seem to revolve around airheads, which does me absolutely no good. These people also like CAMPING! :eek: I do however enjoy reading the tours in foreign lands.:thumb:
In all I get more more from this forum and it better fits my lifestyle because of the bike I ride and the type of riding I do. I also made many friends here over the years, attended 3 CCRs (NOT camping, no sirree!:rolleyes: :D), several tech sessions, and learned a great deal from the master brains of this community. YMMV! :bmw:
+1 what he said...

Only, I don't know about the foreign thing... Unless I win the lottery, I'm not going anywhere near those places... and living vicariously thru those writers is not my idea of a tour. Besides, the good ol' U.S of A. has plenty 'o' sites I never seen yet and there's a lot of guys on the forum I haven't shaken hands with... yet!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,411 Posts
DanDiver said:
I've been a member of BMWON for as long as I've owned the bike and do it mostly for the magazine.
Read it cover to cover. Nice to see your contribution (that Dick already commented on) in the last issue. Keep it up Dan!


zippy_gg said:
Personally I am a bit disappointed with the BMWOA magazine. There seems to be mostly articles and photos of people I don't know who keep patting themselves on the back for a job well some at some function, and the tech articles seem to revolve around airheads, which does me absolutely no good. These people also like CAMPING! :eek: I do however enjoy reading the tours in foreign lands.:thumb:
In all I get more more from this forum and it better fits my lifestyle because of the bike I ride and the type of riding I do. I also made many friends here over the years, attended 3 CCRs (NOT camping, no sirree!:rolleyes: :D), several tech sessions, and learned a great deal from the master brains of this community. YMMV! :bmw:
For each of us different things matter. I think all that's been written about is well done. May not mean a lot to me, but sometimes things change. Never really thought I'd own an airhead, but I do and can't read enough about 'em. Just like the LT, there's not enough written about 'em. As long as it's all good, I can pick and choose.

UncleMark said:
+1 what he said...

Only, I don't know about the foreign thing... Unless I win the lottery, I'm not going anywhere near those places... and living vicariously thru those writers is not my idea of a tour. Besides, the good ol' U.S of A. has plenty 'o' sites I never seen yet and there's a lot of guys on the forum I haven't shaken hands with... yet!
Why would you want to live vicariously through anyone, let alone because they wrote about it? I'll toast to not seeing enough of the US and meeting lots of folks on this forum. I do, vividly remember my only riding experience outside our border. Belarus in 1995. May never happen again.

Thanks,
Jer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
I'm a 25 year member of BMWMOA and a 20 year member of BMWRA. Two very different organizations but both with their strengths.

I enjoy rallies and camping but both clubs offer something for everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
Long time MOA member (#32,806). Also belonged to the RA for a while.

The long-serving editor of the RA newsletter is gone. a bit sharp-tongued, but very inciteful and a, at times, just a hoot to read. His replacement is heavily racing focussed -- interesting, but not my primary interest. The RA mag no longer has much of interest to me.

In contrast, the MOA Owners News is one of the most content-rich, professionally-produced "club" magazines I've ever seen. Sandy Cohen (now with BMW Magazine, a German-based BMW rag with some good stuff and a high-quality product) did a terrific job turning the MOAON into a first-class mag, and Vince (her replacement) seems to be carrying on/maintaining the quality.

I've let my RA membership lapse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy the BMW MOA rallies. I've been to the last 5 - the more that you attend the more people you get to know and the more enjoyable they become. (CCR has the same atmosphere but I've only been to 1 of those).

I have my contact info in the Anonymous book, but have never been called and have never had to call anyone.

I've written articles for the MOA ON magazine but not had them published - one made it onto the MOA website. I have had a number of photographs published in it, including the cover of the October 09 issue. Obviously I like the magazine, but don't necessarily read it cover to cover. It has a lot of info about upcoming rallies, including a map to show roughly where they are being held. A recent issue had an interview with the VP responsible for BMW Motorrad in the USA. There are a variety of articles each month. It is worth the $40 per year membership fee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
katnapinn said:
I've had a BMW for about 6 years & have been a BMWMOA member the same. If only for the Anonymous Book alone the price is worth it. Also the Owners News is a great mag.
Plus one on what he said.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top