BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

BMW OEM vs Odyssey PC680

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  james216 
#1 ·
This is a follow up to my post in May -- I don't ride much in the Texas summer heat, but it is now cooler, so been hitting the back roads lately. In late May, I reinstalled an OEM battery (date code 05 2013) after removing the PC680 AGM( install June '16), due to slow cranking. Yes, the correct type charger was/is being used. I might have found the culprit on the Odyssey ---- the metal "L" brackets for the posts seem to not stay tight; and yes, I have checked them regularly; also possible that the metal was not a good conductor ? So, the 5 year old BMW battery is out, with the Odyssey reinstalled , BUT, with some shop made aluminum "L" brackets for the connections. All other batteries (Yuasa, Interstate, OEM BMW, etc) come with alum posts. Both batteries have almost identical #'s ----- bike running 14.2 vdc, bike sitting 12.5 vdc, batt on charger 13.6 vdc. The OEM is still stronger to crank her; and after a ride tomorrow, I will analyze again. Just don't want to get caught in the boondocks with a bike that won't start. This ol gal is not too practical to push start. Any thoughts ?! thanks for the gold mine of experienced advice that will follow :)

#2 ·
#6 ·
Get yourself one of tthese or the like to carry. They don't take up much room and are worth every penny in getting you going again if your battery does take a dump. I don't leave home without mine.

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-1800...=1540412292&sr=1-6&keywords=battery+jump+pack
I have a ion jump pack i always carry in the LT's trunk. Even though i have a brand new Odyessy. It's about the size of a larger i phone, takes up very little space.Would you know Howard Shisler needed it on Fridays ride in SMFR. He was very thankful. It enabled him to ride to Wheelers to buy a new battery. And i am very happy i bought it. It is very compact. And for $60.00. It's worth every penny. And if i ever need it. It's there. I recommend them.

#3 ·
6 of one half dozen of another... My 7 year old PC 680 was getting a little slow to crank so I bought a new one - all better now. But I recharged my old one and now it is my bench battery for testing EHCS actuators as it was just too good still to recycle. My original OEM battery lasted 7 years as well. Yes, I have owned my LT for over 14 years now.

Reactions: ValkyrieRider
#4 ·
"Beemer Boneyard has them for around $80 each."
Every Yuasa motorcycle battery I have ever purchased has lead posts. Here is an example of what I buy for my K bike:
https://www.atbatt.com/yuasa-ytx14-bs-12ah-200-cca-maintenance-free-powersports-battery/
I like the fact that I can fill it myself, seal it (give it a pre charge as directed) and use it. I never buy OEM batteries because they are more than 2X over retail of a good battery.

#5 ·
When I got my 1150R it had a gel BMW battery in it that was a goner so I got an Odyssey. I also got an Odyssey charger and kept it plugged in most of the time except for trips and I had a small tender if needed but never did. It nearly flipped my bike upside down in the mornings, lol, even in a garage that got down to 30s in the winter at odd times.

When I traded it in for my 05 1150RT they put a new BMW gel batt in it. I got the BMW charger that was specifically built for Gel batt voltages and recommended by DelTran. Kept it on the BMW charger for four years, gel battery didn't QUITE flip it upside down but it was always strong for four years with two pairs of aux lights and a light bar plus running lights...albeit LED, not to mention electric outfits when it was cold. Nary a problem. I also ran the handlebar heaters Fall and Winter and Spring due to frostbite in right hand back in 86 when I stupidly road a SilverWing to Miami for the Orange Bowl between OU and Arkansas with a Ninja and a Honda 750, lol, and came back through a blizzard...it wasn't the most well-thought-out trip but made for great memories!

This LT also had a new BMW gel battery put in it, now have the same charger keeping it happy. I expect it will go well, although the K engine sounds different than the R when firing over but still very strong fire up.

If I were on a long trip with lots of electrical needs I might go with the gel battery simply because the BMW alternator seems to put out voltage more acceptable to a gel battery than maybe the Odyssey? But...I always have a NOCO Genius 3.5a charger and long cord with me so hopefully a confluence of bad circumstances will never happen :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.