BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just spoken to BMW Motorcycles in Sydney Australia.

I asked them which engine oil they recommend in K1200LT, they said only use Mineral oil and do not use a Synthetic Bend or Synthetic oil. They stressed only use 20W-50 mineral oil.
Unless the bike is the very latest model then Synthetic is ok.

Tony

Honda 50 1971
lots of others ....
GL-1000 85
GL-1500 Valk 99
ST-1100 93
1200Lt 05 Current

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
They do not know what they are talking about. Synthetic oil would be the best choice for any year K1200LT. Now some of the other models with a wet clutch you may argue the point. Use the synthetic and leave it in for 6K miles.

Reactions: Notahog

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I just had my first service at 600 miles. I asked the dealer about Synthetic oil and he said BMW doesn't recommend the switch until I think he said 6000 miles. I was frankly surprised but agreed to stay with the natural oil, for now.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
I was told numerous times that only BMW oil is recommended, I know go figure right :)

·
Banned
588 Posts
Dealerships only recommend the oil they have on their shelves.

BMW NA told me that motorcycle specific synthetics can be used after the 6,000 mile service. Someone mentioned that the BMW accessories catalog states the same for the BMW synthetic motorcycle oil.

Companies that make motorcycle specific synthetics tell me their products can be used immediately, but state it makes sense to do after the first oil change as it is contaminated, a short interval and "free".

Many motorcycles and automobiles come from the factory with synthetic oil.

I personally began using higher performing non BMW brand motorcycle specific synthetics and filter at my 600 mile oil change, and have changed the engine oil and filter every 12,000 miles for the past 110,000 miles and glad I did.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
"only use Mineral oil and do not use a Synthetic Bend or Synthetic oil."

Don't statements like this usually start with "I've been a mechanic for XX years, and..."

·
Registered
713 Posts
:cool: Well,, I don't know what riders manual ya'll got but the one that came with my '05 LT says on page 41 section 2 Engine Oil,, that quote; "BMW recommends Castrol" oil..... Also on the very back cover it repeats it again; "BMW recommends Castrol" oil........Check your books!! :D There will be a test tomorrow.........Pete

·
Banned
588 Posts
I read the test results of Castol, and it wasn't pretty. Last place finishes out of 26 motorcycle oils. Maybe BMW wants their bikes to wear out sooner so owners can pony up even more money? I wonder how much money Castrol paid them to write that. No thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In reply:
No I haven't been a Mechanic for xx years I have however serviced my own bikes for the past 30yrs or so.

Comments like BMW don't know what they are talking about and I have used Synthetic oil for years and haven't had any problems just don't cut it.
The person I spoke to was the Mechanic who works exclusively on BMW bikes
He has no vested interest in which oil is on the shelf, but what he does have without doubt is the technical bulletins from BMW regarding issues and recommendations from the factory with the regard to BMW bikes.

For BMW to specifically state that you should not use synthetic should at least be considered, talking of the owners manual it does not state Castrol
for the engine oil it states Name brand API xxxxxxx
It does however mention a Castrol product for the Gearbox and Final drive
again a Mineral based product. Nowhere in the manual does it state that any synthetic products are ok.

If this is not the case please point me to the page in the Service manual or the handbook I'm missing

If there is any BMW representive-Mechanic reading this and will post that BMW do recommend Synthetics .... I would be very suprised and happy to be
corrected.

Thanks again for a very helpful forum

Tony
Hobart Tassie

Honda 50 1971
lots of others ....
GL-1000 85
GL-1500 Valk 99
ST-1100 93
1200Lt 05 Current

·
Banned
588 Posts
BMW markets their BMW 15W50 synthetic motorcycle oil in the United States. Both of the remaining BMW Dealerships in the Houston area sell and recommend this synthetic oil and at least one other synthetic motorcycle oil. Here is a link showing the product http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=39062 . It tested #3 out of 16 50 weight motorcycle oils.

It sounds like you are just stating the opinion of one motorcycle mechanic in Australia, and not corporate BMW. I would also wonder if he is a BMW factory trained motorcycle mechanic since he stated this. If he has documentation from BMW, I'd like to see it.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Well.

You must remember some of the other things BMW has told customers. One of my favorites was that we only needed new computer chips if we lived in hot places, and the land of OZ didn't qualify.

Another good 'en was that the defective starter relays would only be replaced if they broke during warranty.

Oh. I still remember when a OZ BMW dealer told an LT owner that the starter relay wouldn't be replaced under warranty, because he let the voltage drop in his battery and batteries aren't covered in warranty.

AND, as BMW tells customers, dealerships are independent business.

Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TimVipond said:
BMW markets their BMW 15W50 synthetic motorcycle oil in the United States. Both of the remaining BMW Dealerships in the Houston area sell and recommend this synthetic oil and at least one other synthetic motorcycle oil. Here is a link showing the product http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=39062 . It tested #3 out of 16 50 weight motorcycle oils.

It sounds like you are just stating the opinion of one motorcycle mechanic in Australia, and not corporate BMW. I would also wonder if he is a BMW factory trained motorcycle mechanic since he stated this. If he has documentation from BMW, I'd like to see it.
Thanks for this link to the BMW oil they also make a very interesting quote on the page you listed :
PLEASE NOTE: Since BMW motors take longer to break-in than other average motors, we recommend waiting until at least 18,000 miles before switching to synthetic.
Cheers Tony

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
ODD that two different BMW dealers here in Ohio recommend I use the 10w-40 instead of the 20w-50 the manual specified. I used the real oil 10w-40 last few oil changes.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Golden Spectro makes the BMW synth oil, they make good stuff and I have used it for years in my bikes.

·
Banned
588 Posts
tonycross said:
Thanks for this link to the BMW oil they also make a very interesting quote on the page you listed :
PLEASE NOTE: Since BMW motors take longer to break-in than other average motors, we recommend waiting until at least 18,000 miles before switching to synthetic.
Cheers Tony
Tony - that is that particular dealers recommendation. The recommendation I got from BMW North America is that any time after 6,000 miles is OK. Someone else had posted that the accessories catalog also says after 6,000 miles. I did mine at 600 miles, and it uses less than a quart of oil between 12,000 mile oil changes using the best performing brand I can find.

·
Banned
588 Posts
mwnahas said:
ODD that two different BMW dealers here in Ohio recommend I use the 10w-40 instead of the 20w-50 the manual specified. I used the real oil 10w-40 last few oil changes.
That is a bit odd, but a pretty good recommendation, especially for cooler climates. This should give you more performance and better fuel economy. The owners manual says that a "10W-X "Special Oils" can be used (X is >=40)" and "approved individually by BMW AG and available from your authorized BMW motorcycle retailer." The temp range in the manual for these oils are from about -5F to greater than 85F.

Is anyone else using 40 weight oils in their K1200LT? Notice any differences?

Yesterday I ordered some high performance 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle specific oil. I will change to it in about a month. I will report back if anyone is interested.

·
Banned
588 Posts
dmatson said:
Golden Spectro makes the BMW synth oil, they make good stuff and I have used it for years in my bikes.
Are you sure about this? Last time I spoke to BMW North America (about a year or two ago) they told me that Castrol made all of BMW's oils. Since Spectro Oils is an American Company and Castrol is European and is mentioned in the owners manual by name, it makes more sense to me that Castrol makes BMW oils. If anyone has a current Material Safety Data Sheet, it should mention on it who provided the data.

I also found this at http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82959128&contentId=6007316 .

First Engine Fill
Our engine oils and lubricants are officially recommended for all BMW cars and motorcycles. These vehicles are now filled with Castrol oils, engine and transmission lubricants and other technical fluids as they leave the production line.
After Sales
The BMW Group recommends Castrol in their service literature, driver handbooks and marketing communications, as well as on the vehicles’ engine blocks. We are delighted to have been chosen as the recommended oil for all BMW Group vehicles.
For more information on BMW, please visit.
http://www.bmw.com

Golden Spectro 4 ranked #5 out of 16 50 weight oils in the "White Paper" report.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Every BMW Dealer that I visit has "BMW Synthetic" oil on the shelf... My dealers here in the Denver area have always said wait until 18,000 miles to change to synthetic... Unless BMW is now saying that you shouldn't use it (and that hasn't been proven but disputed heavily here), someone is definately just giving you an opinion, maybe a dealership position only.

If BMW is saying to no longer use synthetic, (they have never recommeded synthetic blend), they better tell the dealerships to remove the syth oil from their shelves.

Also, if BMW is no longer recommending synth. oil, they better have a recommended procedure that owners follow to switch back to dyno oil since they have been selling BMW brand synth. oil for some time.

You may want to ask the individual that mentioned that that position on synth oil to you if he can show you a bulletin in writing from BMW where that is said. If there is one, then he can do so. If not, then you will know it is just his opinion.

Either way, it shouldn't be too hard to disclose the truth of the matter.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Much over nothing but oil again. I use Castrol now because my Service Manager said not until 12,000 for snth. FD and Tranny is Synth since the 600, and yes mine changed my FD oil at my request, with my carry in. At 3000 I went to 10-40 for the Winter here in PA, need to get the 6000 done and I will dump in 20-50.

I use the banned brand name and have for 15 years, will continue to, but at the frequency most of us change oil, synth or dino will do. You can debate white papers all day, but in the end has anyone documented a blown engine to engine lubricant alone as the cause?

Stop the oil wars and use what you like, change often, and ride the snot out of the bike.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts