BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A deer and I had a disagreement over who should occupy the apex of a 50 mph blind corner in Oklahoma the last week of May, the end result was I "retired" my RT but found the deal of a lifetime on a 2004 LT with BMW certified pre-owned warranty that had been purchased by another cop with 8000 miles, full bumper to bumper warranty to 2009 and 60,000 miles who decided he wanted a harley instead. The drive from Atlanta to Dallas revealed the fogged over and partial de-laminating that is ALL OVER the forums here.

Contacted BMW of Atlanta, they said "nope, won't warranty it." BMW of North Dallas? Same thing. BMW of Ft. Worth? Uh uh. Called BMW of Grand Rapids MI (thank you Blane!) and got a contact number for BMW of North America, explained my situation, that I felt this was wrong, that only 400 miles had been put on the bike from the time of purchase from BMW Atlanta, and that the windshield should have been examined before gettin' the official Beemer seal of approval--further more, if I were working traffic and saw a rider without protective eyewear using only THAT windshield (as some states allow) at dusk or in the evening, I'd have written him, so it's a safety issue as well (describing the fogging and the de-lamination that was in fingerprint-sized patches that could be scraped away).

A day later the official response was that "windshields are viewed by BMW as consumable items, like tires and brake pads, and therefore are NOT covered by warranty."

Soooooooooooo...

Help yourselves to the advice posted in other threads regarding "contact your dealer or local field manager to get a replacement" but if that works, consider yourself exceptionally lucky.

ANY cleaner containing vinegar or ammonia, I was also told, will attack and dramatically hasten the aging of the windshield laminate. With mine the "try denatured alcohol" suggestion posted by a couple of the senior members actually made the de-lamination and fogging WORSE, so I popped for a short shield (am happier now, we've had 17 of the last 20 days here in Texas exceed 102 degrees at some point) and I'll be damned if I touch that new screen with anything other than warm water.

"and that's the way it is..."--Walter Chronkite

Pete

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Pete
That doesn't surpirse me,
It seems they (BMWNA) feel the same way about final drives.

The official response I got was something like:
We are very proud of our motorcycles,
sorry for you luck.

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
Depends upon the dealer - unfortunately

I purchased my bike used with 1,000 miles on it from the local dealer in Tampa and they replaced the windshield 2 times before I got one without distortion. Fogging was an issue on the 2nd one too. They NEVER hesitated to replace it and strongly suggested cleaning it ONLY with water which I have done for the past 20,000 miles and 4 years. To date, NO problem.

Maybe try to shop dealers, if that is possible and I strongly suggest that if it does not fog, don't put anything on it except water. If it gets coated heavily with bugs, then soak a rag and let it sit for 15 - 20 minutes. I have found that this works with 1-2 day old love bugs too.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
That sounds like outstanding service from the dealer. Dano
It's puzzling how some riders can have such a good relationship with a dealer
while others are dis-satisfied.
I stopped going there when he offered me 2K for my K1100LT in trade on a new LT at the retail price,
I sold the K11 on E-bay for 6K and bought my K12 somewhere else.
My feelings are: I don't mind the dealer making some $$ but he needs to give a little also.
After all he's not just selling a bike, he's gaining a customer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey Pete

petevandyke said:
ANY cleaner containing vinegar or ammonia, I was also told, will attack and dramatically hasten the aging of the windshield laminate. With mine the "try denatured alcohol" suggestion posted by a couple of the senior members actually made the de-lamination and fogging WORSE, so I popped for a short shield (am happier now, we've had 17 of the last 20 days here in Texas exceed 102 degrees at some point) and I'll be damned if I touch that new screen with anything other than warm water.
Pete
I posted this on another Thread but figure I will let you know. Although I sold my 02 LT I too had the fogging issue. One day my Mom (which owns a HobbyTownUSA hobby shop) told me "why don't you try the same stuff the kids use on their Paint Ball Masks" its a antu-fog stuff and it worked wonders.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I recall my screen "fogging" on my HD.. brand new... then one day it started "peeling"... I spent a whole night gently removing the "film"... presto! no "fogging" issues for 5 years until I sold the bike.

Coincidence? probably, but when my sheild starts peeling I'm going to do that to both sides... and see..

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Looks like they figured you just plain wore that windshield out on your 400 mile ride.

Did you ask them how many miles windshields last under normal riding conditions?

Maybe they ought to engrave ware marks on them, like tires, so we can know when to replace them.

My favorite response from them was about why I should have to waite 13 months for a replacemnt part to get my engine to run correctly.

Fortunately, it ran fine about 4 months out of 12.

Unfortunately, there are chemicals that cause the problems you have with their windshields. So, it looks as if they decided to cut losses by not replacing problem windshields.

If I'm going on a ride out of town during the summer, I put my tall windshield back on. It creates a better air pocket to protect me from the hot wx, 90-110 during our spring, summer, and fall.

Bob

Bob

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
petevandyke said:

"and that's the way it is..."--Walter Chronkite

Pete

I never used any vinegar, ammonia or any other cleaner other than soap and water on my 2002 BMW windshield. It was toast after 8,000 miles. I bought a C. Bailey windshield and have not had a problems since. BMW windshields are just a piece of cramp and that's all I have to say about that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Windshield Replaced by Chicago BMW

Chicago BMW replaced mine due to fogging. I don't recall the mileage I had on the bike but it was under warranty at the time. When the service manager asked what I had cleaned the windshield with I said that I had been using warm water. He then asked what else I had used. I said that I had not used any product on it other than the Plexus they sold expressly for that purpose. He looked at me, paused, and said something to the effect that I was the one person who had bought that! Faced with the situation that I had used a product they themselves sold he agreed to replace the windshield under warranty. At the time I felt this was a discretionary matter, so maybe the circumstances just worked in my favor.

I realize this isn't quite your situation but it does at least tell you that a dealer can get it done if they attempt, or agree, to. Unfortunately, the second windshield had more distortion in it than the first one did. I have seen other LT's with what I would call considerable distortion. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yep .... got the same response at my dealer. But they had just warranteed a couple of items so I just fixed mine the best way possible .... bought a Cee Bailey's!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I find it lame and disturbing that BMW/NA would consider a windshield a "consumable item". I believe this to be a cheap way out of being responsible for a substandard item. Am I wrong in this? Do other MC manufacturers take the same position?

BTW: I too went with Cee Bailey - not because my OEM was delaminating (although it was fogging) but liked the CB wind protection better. It's a great screen.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I guess I'm a lucky one. The local BMW dealer (not where the ' 04 LT was purchased) called this morning and said the new windshield had arrived and they will install the new one on Thursday. All at no cost to me.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably a load of crap...

One thing I was told at an unnamed dealership is that the cost of replacement for the 2004 LT windshields under warranty wiped out all profits for that calendar year for that model, so the decision was adopt the "consumable item" stance. Probably a line of crap, but I WOULD buy into "there was a significant cut into overall profits due to a high number of warranty replacements of windshields manufactured by a third party and installed on LT model BMW motorcycles, hence the part has been re-classified as a consumable because, on review, many of the windshields were damaged because of improper treatment."

--P

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I've heard all over the board about Plexus and BMW LT windshields from dealers who sell it and from vendors at rallys. When specifically asked, they all say it's no problem. What's the real deal?

Denny
02 BMW LT

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
just fyi - my dealer (BMW of Hollywood) replaced my stock 2003 under warranty with no questions asked with about 28,000 miles on the bike.

I called them to inquire if they'd cover fogging - manager asked me to email him a few pics of the windshield, which I did, and he called me when the windshield arrived to have it installed.

Had it for about 10 months now - no more fogging.

·
Registered
807 Posts
windex

My LT windshield never fogged in four years. I use Windex all the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
BMW of Daytona

I just have to chime in that I bought my '05 LT from BMW of Daytona (my first BMW) and they have the best service manager of any place I've ever been, and I've had a lot of different kinds of bikes. I love my LT, but had some issues with it at first, including a quickly fogging windshield. They promptly replaced it - and they didn't have a direct replacement for the type I had so they took one off a new bike in the showroom. Given the initial problems I had, I could have easily sworn off BMWs and LTs, but the dealer made all the difference and I am now a very happy owner who wouldn't think of parting with his LT. It really is true, the dealer can make all the difference in your biking experience (I went back and bought a K1200R also).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Some data for your case.

No news from me on this issue but I was properly treated by my dealer on my shield. The Euro shield on my ‘01 de-laminated in small patches; no fogging, just absent film patches. I could remove film with a fingernail. I had only used soap/water, Windex, Plexus, and Pro-Honda spray cleaner, the best I found.

At about 30k my dealer replaced the shield without dispute. The new shield has been okay since; another 25k with the same products.

I offer this as data in your pursuit of resolution. I guess I’m the lucky one. I hope you fare as well.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I just took my 05' in with a fogged screen and they said ok we will order you a new one, so I think the response may have more to do with the dealer than we think.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Replaced Under Warranty

I have an '03 that I bought in Feb '04, so getting near the end of the warranty. Bob's BMW agreed to replace the windshield under warranty (it's in the shop now). They're also replacing the pre-load adjuster & shock, and the trunk retaining strap.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts