BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added a Navigator III to my 2009 LT. I bought the GPS used. When I received it I cleared all user data to reset the unit and restore all original settings.

While using the GPS in map view, I noticed the moving position arrow (small triangle) sometimes points the in the wrong direction compared to the direction I'm travelling. The map shown is correct, but the display is nearly 180 degrees off. There's no information on this topic in the manual. Any idea what's wrong?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hi Geoff, you can set the display to 'North Up' or 'Direction of Travel Up'. It sounds like you have it set to the former.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wolly, thanks for the reply. I will set the orientation to "3D Track Up" since this is the default map view.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2007 LT with the Navigator III and am also having some problems. I recently purchased the bike and I immediately hooked the gps up to my computer and updated the maps. I didn't have the ac adaptor cord so I had to leave the gps attached to the bike with the key turned on when it was updating through my computer. The Garmin website said the maps were updated successfully. However, when I use the GPS now there is no detail and it frequently just shows the arrow on a white screen with none of the side roads or other topographical features. I have the setting set to the most details as possible but still no details. Should I restore or what? Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Sounds like you lost the base maps during the update, I would reapply the update.

Not sure about Garmin but Magellan has a reset function that will bring it back to the base map. Some Garmin model have a reset function on the back under the serial number label. You might want ot try that reset first.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
dthicks20 said:
I have a 2007 LT with the Navigator III and am also having some problems. I recently purchased the bike and I immediately hooked the gps up to my computer and updated the maps. I didn't have the ac adaptor cord so I had to leave the gps attached to the bike with the key turned on when it was updating through my computer. The Garmin website said the maps were updated successfully. However, when I use the GPS now there is no detail and it frequently just shows the arrow on a white screen with none of the side roads or other topographical features. I have the setting set to the most details as possible but still no details. Should I restore or what? Thanks for your help.

I recently had this problem after doing a map update with my Garmin Streetpilot 2730. the triangle and highlighted route is displayed, but nothing else. :( I just learned this model is no longer supported, but Garmin has no problem taking people's money for new maps on these obsolete models. :mad:

·
Registered
616 Posts
It sounds like you're not seeing the detailed street maps, but just the base map, which has very little detail.

I don't have a Nav III, but on the Nav IV/660, you would do this:

Tools>Settings>Map>MapInfo

then see if you see the CN North America NT 2013.30 map (or something similar). Then see if the little checkbox is checked.

If you don't have a detailed map, or you have it and it is not selected, you will just see major roads.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Also, if running the load from a Mac, be sure you have the up-to-date download/ orient/ install. Current version is all in one execute, with three steps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts