BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased BMW K1200LT, 2006, but the navigator is missing, only the wiring is there and plate to attach the navigator to the bike. Where I could get BMW Motorrad Navigator 3? Is it already old model? I do not want to install new wiring to the bike.

·
Registered
292 Posts
it is old, and Garmin does not support software upgrades for it. I had one on my 2006 and I upgraded to the zumo 665

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would imagine that there are plenty of folks who would let you purchase them a Zumo 665 and they would give you their old Navigator.

Now that I got that smarta$$ comment out of my system.

I would include some pictures if the mounting hardware and the plugs so we can help you determine what you need to get.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was in that same boat you are... old BMW Nav III mount and what to do.... well I found a "2820 Garmin street pilot" and she has the same funky plug the mount has... got it yesterday and it worked 1st try.. yippee... :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Any 27XX or 28XX (not sure if there was a 29XX) Garmin Street Pilot will work with the mount you have on the bike. You will need a cradle for it... -$30... or if you have the OEM BMW... your good to. just the side buttons on the OEM will not work...

Jdsova said:
I was in that same boat you are... old BMW Nav III mount and what to do.... well I found a "2820 Garmin street pilot" and she has the same funky plug the mount has... got it yesterday and it worked 1st try.. yippee... :cool:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
theoldone said:
it is old, and Garmin does not support software upgrades for it. I had one on my 2006 and I upgraded to the zumo 665
I just updated my software AND maps so it is still supported. You can find them used, try the Garmin site or give them a call ..

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't know about the NavIII, but I do have the maps for life upgrade on my 2720. Not fancy, but it tells me where to go (with this year's updated maps) and how fast I'm going. And it hooks up to the factory wiring. That's all I need from it!

·
Registered
912 Posts
theoldone said:
So very not true. I get voice updates, map updates and once in a while firmware updates from Garmin, and Maps come out 4x per year.

Also, all the Garmin tools for the Mac support it on OSX Lion (10.7.3) so I have Base Camp, Map Manager, Road Trip, plus the add-ons for Safari 5 and Firefox 11 which recognize the NAV III for updates, downloads from Motorcycle web sites, etc.

There are many faster ones out there, but Garmin support their older models as well as anybody does.

Bill

·
Registered
191 Posts
Garmin apparently still has some NAVIIIs. They swapped mine out last year when it choked on map update and could not be reset. I sent it in to their service guys and they could not reset either so they sent me another one. They even transferred my life time map subscription to the new SN. Only bad part was it choked the night before I left on a 1500 mile trip accross back roads. I had to take my car Garmin and put in the map case on my tank bag.

Bruce

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same issue on an 07 LT that I bought this past September. Considered buying a Garmin Zumo 550 but since I already had a 660 decided to have the local BMW dealer change out the wiring. Waited for the next major service when it would be necessary to remove all of the plastic...easy peasy; looks good and works perfectly. $70.00 for the wiring from Garmin and 30 minutes of labor added to the major service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts