BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody with experience with the BMW Luggage Roll 2? Would like to mount it on the pillion rather than the luggage rack as the luggage rack is limited to weight while the rear seat could carry much more weight. Am worried about rubbing on the panniers however. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
OregonRider said:
Anybody with experience with the BMW Luggage Roll 2? Would like to mount it on the pillion rather than the luggage rack as the luggage rack is limited to weight while the rear seat could carry much more weight. Am worried about rubbing on the panniers however. Any advice appreciated.
I've got a luggage roll 2 but have only used it on my old F800ST. It comes with enough straps to attach it to the luggage rack and it holds on the pillion without much problem. I didn't notice much rubbing on the F800. I don't think you'll have a problem with rubbing on the RT. But I'll put it on the RT in the next couple days and see.

·
Registered
128 Posts
OregonRider said:
WOW! Thanks rcopeland, that would be a big help.
Hey there OregonRider I had a chance to put a loaded luggage roll2 on my RT. There doesn't appear to be any issues with putting the luggage roll on the pillion seat and rubbing against the side bags. Hopefully I can upload the images....

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
OregonRider said:
Thanks rcopeland! Just what I needed to know! I owe you a cold one!
Cold beer is always good. :)

What you don't really see in these pics is how it's strapped onto the bike. The rear strap connectors I hooked to the luggage rack where the rear portion of the rack hooks to the bike. However, it's better when the straps are criss-crossed to have a better secured bag. The front connectors need much longer straps to hook onto the luggage rack, the bag does come with longer straps but I've never needed to try that out so I don't know if they're good enough or not. You can also take the shoulder strap and put it under the passenger seat for better security of the bag on the bike. Not sure if you knew that but thought I would mention it.

Also, in the pictures I left in the bottom stability panel, as I call it, in the bag making the bag more rigid. Without the stability panel the bag will be more flimsy but I think you can see by the photos that it's doubtful the bag will contact the side panniers. The bag would have to be loaded pretty lopsided for that to happen. Personally, I like that stability panel in the bag.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I have the large Ortlieb bag from Wunderlich. The bag rides ver well on the pillion seat between the top cas and the back rest. The side straps secure to the passanger grab handles. There is no problem with the paniers. Here is a pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
OregonRider said:
Eric - I strap stuff to the pillion all the time, smaller duffels like shown in the picture to larger Ortlieb dry bags like Cessna does. No problem with the panniers. The closer you get the load to the rider the more neutral the handling will feel.

JayJay

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you can't live without the BMW Roll 2, start your shopping on line at Bob's BMW. $175.00. Probably more on line deals out there on line, no need to pay full dealer retail. Good luck.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
Here's my setup...

The little yellow things are rubber coated twist ties that I got from a "Backwoods" store in Kansas. The twist to any shape, I mount them to the hand rails and then use bungies ties in an "X" to crisscross the bag to secure it to the bike. Works beautifully!

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
Here's my setup...
How did you set up the Go Pro?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
391 Posts
heavynikonf3 said:
If you can't live without the BMW Roll 2, start your shopping on line at Bob's BMW. $175.00.

Disregard--my mistake, Bob's is also $259---my appologies.

·
Registered
241 Posts
casamere said:
My luggage roll and protection for hand rails is 1" copper pipe lagging/insulation.
Nice, that's usin' your noggin.
Think I'll try that.

·
Registered
498 Posts
gphusky1 said:
How did you set up the Go Pro?

Thanks,

Mark
This particular GoPro mount is a RAM ball attached to my handle bar. I had to machine the base of the mount a bit to slim it down to fit in the narrow gap, but it works really nice. I also use the suction cup mount all over the bike with great success. Favorite spot is on the windscreen.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Not exactly what you were looking for but this is what we have done.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.