BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,I need some help please if possible, I recently serviced my 2000 K1200LT,did all the fun stuff plastic removal, oil,air fuel filters,rear brakes. When I got to the front brakes the screws that hold the pads in place are rounded and I do not know how to remove them. I am afraid in case I damage them even more than they are as it is not easy to get replacement parts for the big girl over here in Ireland. Can anyone help please ...? :bmw:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Can you post some pics, so we'll see what's happening?
BJ

·
Registered
140 Posts
adey, may I jump in and post a couple of pics of my LT brake pins? (I'll delete them if I've got it wrong).

I had a similar problem getting the pins out once as there's no head on them. I removed the clip and then had to poke something in the hole where the pin was and jiggle and twist the pin until it loosened. I then used long nosed pliers to push the pin out.

I had a Suzuki with a similar setup, a pin that just wouldn't shift, my only option was to drill a tiny hole in the caliper blind side and drift the pin out.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
adey71 said:
Hello all,I need some help please if possible, I recently serviced my 2000 K1200LT,did all the fun stuff plastic removal, oil,air fuel filters,rear brakes. When I got to the front brakes the screws that hold the pads in place are rounded and I do not know how to remove them. I am afraid in case I damage them even more than they are as it is not easy to get replacement parts for the big girl over here in Ireland. Can anyone help please ...? :bmw:
Hi, Adrian. If you have the calipers off the brake disc, you should see a small round retaining pin running thru the brake pad's ears. It should have a flatblade screwdriver slot in it, which is very confusing, because to remove that pin and thus drop out the old pads, you just need to punch it out - not 'screw' it out. Of course, you have to remove the small wire split-pin keeper from that retaining pin first. It removes easy enough with needle nose pliers, and thereby allows the rataining pin to be punched out. Good luck, Adrian.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Yuppers .... Small wire clip going threw each pin along side anti-rattle spring, Rotate pin so wire clip faces upward, pull wire clip and tap out pin. Once you do it you will laugh at how simple removing pads is ... rear the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts