BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2007 K1200 LT. The brakes started to squeak a little as the bike comes to a stop. This started at about 600 miles. The dealer says its likely dirt causing the squeal. It may be but the dirt that would be on the brakes would be from normal riding. Has anyone else had this problem? It's quite embarassing to stop at the lights with a brake squeal.
Please comment if you have heard of this or have a remedy.
tks

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
It is a very common problem on the LT. When it comes time to replace the brake pads you can go with an EBC pad that will help it a lot. Also, you might just try to spray some Brake Parts Cleaner onto a clean rag and wipe down the discs...seems to help sometimes.

For the EBC part number, just do a search under "EBC Pads" and you'll find it. Welcome to the world of the Lt!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I had the same ailment (on my '01, with non-integrated brakes). Should work similarly for your '07. Get them real clean first with compressed air, and then try the method listed in this link.

Nary a squeak now for thousands of miles!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sounds like your pads are starting to glaze over. Best thing to do is find a road with noone around, get up to about 60 mph and slam both brakes on. Bring the bike almost to a stop, do this about 3, 4 times, the glaze should be gone, no more squeal. Have over 30, 000 miles on my brakes, not a sound out of them. Chuck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2007 K1200 LT brake squeal

Thanks to those who replied to my problem. I'll have to wait until spring to try the cures. As for now, I'm looking at about 2 ft of snow.
You don't have to tell me how to fix that problem though, I've been to sunny Arizona in January.
tks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts