BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW R 1200 C backfiring. I have a 2001 BMW R 1200 C and it is not running as smoothly as it did prior to having it serviced. And it does have the high idle plug, as it is called, it was on the motorcycle when I purchased it. It seem to run much smoother, But recently had it serviced and then it has started running as described.. It still runs great going down the highway but when slowing down, backing off the throttle it now often backfires and when throttling From a low idle it seems a little jerky on idling up. My guess is something has gone wrong with the high idle plug or somehow the plug is not registering. I have a document in the service records From the previous owner discussing the plug and it talked about unhooking the negative lead from the battery and turning on the ignition multiple times to discharge any voltage in the system then hooking the negative lead back up so that the mototronics unit would recognize the high idle plug. Is there anything to this, by the way I did try that and it does not seem to have had any affect? Has anyone had the same problem, or have any recommendations for me? My next thought is to check the plugs? And change them possibly? Recommendations on plugs if so? Thank you very much, BMW Jack.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Total newb with these boxers but... I won't bore you with the details except to say I recalibrated the TPS and my problem went away. (2002 R1150R). Worth a shot. Good luck

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Dan, what method did you use to "recalibrate" your TPS... the turn on ignition don't start the bike, roll the throttle to full and back to zero three times then turn off the ignition?
Other people read these posts and need details.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Apologies to all. Yes that is exactly what I did. I wil start a new thread with the "REST OF THE STORY" for those who have a hard time falling asleep.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts