·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
IBR# 366
16,589 Posts
Maybe he thought he was in Montana?

I don't care how fast your bike is, you can't outrun the two-way radio.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
We can not chase, so here in my town he would've gotten away. Too dangous for all.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
if a new GT, then he's not following proper break-in procedures!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
"Fortunately, we had two more troopers in a position where they could intercept him before he killed himself or anyone else," Smith said.

Almost brings a tear to my eye the way the police 'protect and serve' us in this fashion.

motorman587 said:
We can not chase, so here in my town he would've gotten away. Too dangous for all.
Now THAT's a voice of reason! :)

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
That road has more deer on it than any road (especially between Rangely and Craig) I've ever been on anywhere in the world.... they're like freakin' rats - all OVER the place.

...wonder if he had deer whistles? :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
"The chase quickly hit speeds well over 100 mph, Smith said."

I thought it said they clocked him at 107mph before the chase started? Seems like the chase started at speeds over 100mph, so that quote is kind of redundant. :)

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
The media seems to think that "fast" begins at 100mph. But we all know that "fast" begins at 140! And LIFE begins at 160!!! :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
My agency would not and could not chase the guy. They use HD's!!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
a-Hem!

eljeffe said:
I wonder what model? K1200S? R? New GT? Cause it couldn't have been one of those old pokey Flying Brick or Boxer BMWs.
So . . . are you implying that the "new GT" can exceed 150mph?! And just how might you know this Jeffrey?! (Even if it's not true...lie to me!) :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not Just Deer!

"That road has more deer on it than any road (especially between Rangely and Craig) I've ever been on anywhere in the world.... they're like freakin' rats - all OVER the place."

Two years ago I was touring on that very same stretch on my way from Steamboat Springs to Vernal. As we came around a curve, a farmer in an old pickup coming the other way was flashing his headlights at us. In Colorado, that only means one of two things: wildlife or a trooper ahead, and its usually wildlife. I was in the lead and immediately slowed down. As I came around the curve, I was feeling lucky I had ABS on the LT. A hear of bison was moving from one side of the road to the other, and what appeared to be the 'head bull' was standing in the middle of the road, straddling the center line. I was sitting on my LT on a beadrider plus an airhawk plus a thick sheepskin, and his shoulder was at my eye level. A few years ago, a Harley Rider in Yellowstone got too close to one of these beasts, and it gored and tossed him and his Dyna 25 feet (aside: a ranger at the time was asked by a reporter covering this story "how far can a buffalo toss a HD?", to which he replied: "How far do you want him to toss it?"). Anyway, I cannot imagine coming around a blind curve at 100+ and finding a herd of buffalo in the road. Scary. YMMV, but what an idiot.

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Remember my report from Red River. Let's just say I attained an "undisclosed" speed.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
This is what happened to a Florida Trooper two years ago:

Trooper Darryl Louis Haywood Sr.
Florida Highway Patrol
Florida
End of Watch: Saturday, October 2, 2004

Biographical Info
Tour of Duty: 24 years, 6 months
Badge Number: 1296

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Vehicle pursuit
Date of Incident: Saturday, October 2, 2004
Weapon Used: Not available
Suspect Info: Convicted ad sentenced to 30 years

Trooper Haywood was killed when his patrol car crashed during a pursuit.

He was pursuing a motorcycle on I-4, just east of State Road 44, in Volusia County. At about 1345 hours, Trooper Haywood was alerted to be on the lookout for a Porsche and a motorcycle racing at speeds of over 150 miles per hour in the eastbound lane of I-4. Trooper Haywood spotted the two vehicles, but both drivers pulled away at a high rate of speed. The Porsche escaped, but Trooper Haywood continued to try to stop the motorcyclist. During the pursuit, the right rear tire on Trooper Haywood's Chevrolet Camaro patrol car blew out and caused the patrol car to hit another vehicle. The patrol car then flipped several times and struck a tree on the south side of the interstate, killing Trooper Haywood.

The driver of the motorcycle was apprehended later in the day by deputies from the St. Johns County Sheriff Department. He was charged with felony aggravated fleeing and eluding. On October 18th, 2005, he was convicted of aggravated manslaughter, vehicular homicide and fleeing and eluding a law-enforcement officer and causing a death. On December 2nd, 2005, he was sentenced to 30 years in prison.

Trooper Haywood had served with the Florida Highway Patrol for four years, and had previously served with the New York City Police Department for 20 years, where he retired at the rank of Detective. Trooper Haywood was awarded the Florida Highway Patrol's Trooper of the Month for July 2004 for his life-saving actions in pulling a motorist from a burning vehicle.

He is survived by his wife, two children, and grandchildren.

» View this officer's Reflections » Leave a Reflection
» List all officers from this agency » Update this memorial
» Printer friendly view

Or the link:
http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17459

If you read the last line "He is survivied by his wife, two children, and grandchildren". Is the risk catching a violator for the the crime committed worth the life or death/injury of someone else?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Must have been the retarded kid that got smoked by the LT on his Ninja. So he went out traded for an LT and nabbed by the cops. :D
If a car is going one way and a bike is going the other at such a high rate of speed, how does the car catch the bike? :confused:
Just the numbers :sleep:
At 150mph the bike would be travelling at 2+1/2 miles per minute. Ain't many bacon wagons can haul at that rate of speed. Smokie has to turn the car around, while they may have a leg up driving wise on the general public. They ain't no dead Ernhart or they would be on the NASCAR circuit making millions.
Many times these speed reports are very wrong by human error. Like the cop in the plane said the kid in Michigan was going a little over 200 MPH, Right.
Rock :cool:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
motorman587 said:
This is what happened to a Florida Trooper two years ago:
[snip]

That's a tragic story, obviously. But I can't believe that the assailant got 30 years! It wasn't his fault that the officer pursued. It wasn't his fault that the tire blew. UNBELIEVABLE! :(

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
According to the reports at the time, Trooper Haywood was westbound on I-4 when he spotted the duo going the other way. He then turned around in the median and attempted to pursue. I know that section of I-4 very well; the median is ~70-100 yards wide, with sections where the view is completely blocked by large stands of Pines and scrub brush. At 150 mph, I doubt either perp would have even seen the Trooper unless he was on their side of the highway. The spokesman for the Highway Patrol stated on the news that Haywood spotted them and then turned around in the median to pursue (based on his radio transmissions IIRC). Can you imagine how far behind the "race" this officer was within even a few seconds? The biker had no clue what happened behind him until they told him.

The loss of any officer in the line of duty is a tragedy for sure. The loss of a trooper with his experience is a blow to the FHP and the community as a whole. The loss for his family is unfathomable to me.

BUT

To convict this guy for "aggravated manslaughter, vehicular homicide and fleeing and eluding a law-enforcement officer and causing a death" is ludicrous IMO. That report is very selective in it's portrayal of the events that day. An officer died though, and someones gotta pay.

·
Registered
314 Posts
messenger13 said:
That's a tragic story, obviously. But I can't believe that the assailant got 30 years! It wasn't his fault that the officer pursued. It wasn't his fault that the tire blew. UNBELIEVABLE! :(
He was breaking the law, he refused to stop for the police...all consequences that followed became his fault. That is the same in the commission of any crime, any harm or damage that results as a consequence of said crime is YOUR FAULT even if the harm or damage was not directly attributable to the perpatrator. That's the way it works...end of story.

Of COURSE it was his fault the officer pursued HE BROKE THE LAW, would a blow-out have killed the officer if it happened during a routine patrol? Maybe, but the officer would not have been in THAT place at THAT time when it happened had he not been in pursuit of that individual in violation of the law. If you want to engage in reckless driving by grossly exceeding speed limits fine, but be prepared to pay the price. The guy was an IDIOT for trying to out run the police, he should have stopped the moment he saw them...looks like it will be a long time before he gets another chance to ride again. And I say good, because the officer will never have a chance to do ANYTHING ever again.

·
Registered
630 Posts
messenger13 said:
How many good LEOs would still be with us if people simply obeyed the laws?

Sorry Joe, it was his fault! Not only did he disobey the speed limit, he totally ignored God's written command in Romans 13:1-5.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I am not going to say if the punishment fits the crime, however as a lawman and having vehicles flee from me, I have to take in account if it worth my life or others,to catch this person. If I can not gain on the vehicle, in the first few seconds,that I am attempting to stop I do not keep going. I will slow to reasonably speed and get on the radio. I have never and will never out ride my car or motorcycle's ablities, or mine. And again we have a "no pursuit" on motorcycle and a "no pursuit" for traffic violations.

Not saying that this troopers did anything wrong, it sad for his children and grandchildren. If I did not have children myself I probably would not be typing this. Being a "Daddy" has made me realize that getting the bad guy is not worth not seeing my children grow up. Do not get me wrong, I still get the bad guy, but have learned that there are other ways to arrest someone without having to chase them and putting the public or yourself in danger.

Case in point. We had a m/c in our town flee from two officer, seprate cases. The officer learned from another officer who this "kid" was. With some good police work found where he work. Stop by his work place and located the person. The "kid" confessed and charges added. No pursuit, no crash, nobody hurt. Does it work this way all the time, No. However no chase is worth a death.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts