BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the gel battery in my LT. Bought the gel-specific tender. Already got it plugged into the bike out in the garage. Love the idea of having a fresh battery every time I want to start it (plus, it's maintained all 7 days between rides).

Great product blah blah blah. That's not the point of this. I searched the batteries/charger forum to no avail and was wondering:

So the BMW gel battery requires the BMW gel charger. Now that I bought it, can I use it for my car? I have an Optima Red Top in there. I would like to make sure it's all good to leave the BMW tender on the Optima for a couple weeks on end. I don't want to end up with a worthless gel charger and/or an Optima paperweight on my desk.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am not any kind of expert, but I have used my BMW gel charger on several car and motorcycle batteries with no negative experience to either the batteries or charger.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
rjhammetter said:
Have the gel battery in my LT. Bought the gel-specific tender. Already got it plugged into the bike out in the garage. Love the idea of having a fresh battery every time I want to start it (plus, it's maintained all 7 days between rides).

Great product blah blah blah. That's not the point of this. I searched the batteries/charger forum to no avail and was wondering:

So the BMW gel battery requires the BMW gel charger. Now that I bought it, can I use it for my car? I have an Optima Red Top in there. I would like to make sure it's all good to leave the BMW tender on the Optima for a couple weeks on end. I don't want to end up with a worthless gel charger and/or an Optima paperweight on my desk.
I use the BMW Gel tender on all my dirt and street bikes and it does work well on lead acid and AGM batteries. The amperage on the tender is much less than the larger chargers I use on the truck and boat. I don't thinl it will hurt anything but you might not get a full charge...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts