BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently purchased a used BMW battery charger (model 71 60 7 688 865) for my 2007 K1200GT. I've notice it will not charge the battery unless I cycle the ignition key. None of the charge "definition" lights come on until the key is cycled. The charger appears to charge to the green 3/3 reading; however, turns off after that. I have never seen the charge definition light come on after that (although the power light in the lower left hand corner always remains on). It there something wrong with the charger or is it the accessory plug?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Chad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, and have a battery tender; however, the dealer is "claiming" the gel battery needs their BMW proprietary charger.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah, sure. Note the age of my oldest child (92 Dyna). All my bikes have a gel battery, use a Battery Tender Jr. I replace the batteries every 4 years and have never had a dead one. What more do you want?

Can you say big dealer bucks?

·
Registered
171 Posts
rippinbyu said:
I agree, and have a battery tender; however, the dealer is "claiming" the gel battery needs their BMW proprietary charger.
Here is the Deltran selection table.

http://batterytender.com/selection_guide.php

From the table, the Tender Plus might be a better choice for your Gel battery.

·
Registered
294 Posts
rippinbyu said:
Hello,
I recently purchased a used BMW battery charger (model 71 60 7 688 865) for my 2007 K1200GT. I've notice it will not charge the battery unless I cycle the ignition key. None of the charge "definition" lights come on until the key is cycled. The charger appears to charge to the green 3/3 reading; however, turns off after that. I have never seen the charge definition light come on after that (although the power light in the lower left hand corner always remains on). It there something wrong with the charger or is it the accessory plug?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Chad
Ahemmmmm-To answer Chads question. Chad, I know this is just crazy, but read the manual that came with the charger- :eek: .. Once the charger goes thru its last 3/3 phase its lights out and goes into a monitoring mode. That's what its supposed to do. Unless there is a greater power drain other than clock she wont cycle again for a while. I am sometimes away from the big girl for an extended period-just leave it plugged in an forgetaboutit. As far as initial plug in- power led on and first red led on for a while -while it analyses the condition of battery. I have never had to cycle ign key.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have not read the manual and do not have one of those new fangled high priced doodads BUT the dealer told me that the proper set up is to turn on the key, plug in the charger and then turn off the key. That way the computer knows what is going on and does not abort your connection.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
rippinbyu said:
Hello,

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Chad
The non-Can-bus BMW Battery charger is a Deltran (The manufacturer of Battery Tender) I bought one today for my RT.

it comes with pigtail w/ rings and an SAE plug, a pigtail aligator clips and a BMW power socket plug. (3 ways to connect it to the bike) This charger is meant to hook direct to the battery. I am going to install the pigtail for now, but when I install a Centech AP-2, lights & radar Detector I am going to re-wire the front socket to the centech, so i will lose the pigtail and just plug the charger (bypassing Can-Bus) directly to the Centech which is hooked directly to the battery!

The BMW NON-Canbus charger iis $69.00 including all attachments! As long as my bike is under warranty, I amusing as much BMW branded stuff as possible to rule out any possibly of a denied warranty claim.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
rippinbyu said:
Only if you are going to plug it in the Can-bus attached power socket!

·
Registered
262 Posts
MarinPhil said:
Ahemmmmm-To answer Chads question. Chad, I know this is just crazy, but read the manual that came with the charger- :eek: .. Once the charger goes thru its last 3/3 phase its lights out and goes into a monitoring mode. That's what its supposed to do. Unless there is a greater power drain other than clock she wont cycle again for a while. I am sometimes away from the big girl for an extended period-just leave it plugged in an forgetaboutit. As far as initial plug in- power led on and first red led on for a while -while it analyses the condition of battery. I have never had to cycle ign key.
I do the obligatory key cycling with the unit connected to the canbus connector and it works fine and as described above.

Overpriced - yes, convineint yes

ymmv :corn:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts