BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't get me wrong.. I am not cheap,,,, but I will ask why.
Why is the BMW fuel pump $355 and a pump for the GMC Yukon XL $85 ?
Am not saying a GMC pump will work. But you are pumping fuel, and there is a pressure regulator on both. If you could find a fuel pump that pumped fuel at or near the same PSI, and was near the same size ,,, again WHY would you not be able to use it ?
Again we are pumping fuel from a gas tank to a fuel rail and injectors.
I will be buying the BMW pump,, but again ..WHY
What are your thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
kclineman10 said:
Please don't get me wrong.. I am not cheap,,,, but I will ask why.
Why is the BMW fuel pump $355 and a pump for the GMC Yukon XL $85 ?
Am not saying a GMC pump will work. But you are pumping fuel, and there is a pressure regulator on both. If you could find a fuel pump that pumped fuel at or near the same PSI, and was near the same size ,,, again WHY would you not be able to use it ?
Again we are pumping fuel from a gas tank to a fuel rail and injectors.
I will be buying the BMW pump,, but again ..WHY
What are your thoughts ?
Supply and demand

2.6 million Tahoe / GMC Yukons made between 1998 and current.

The fuel pump probably works on other model vehicles as well

So the LT according bikesnumbnuts stated " I emailed BMW yesterday and asked the question about production figures for the Lt and they emailed me back today with 37,872 units (thats bikes ) produced between 1998 and 2009. "

Supply and demand?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
If it's the same pump (basically) then it shouldn't cost BMW any more than it costs GM..
(Probably about 20 bucks....)

Chalk it up to greed...

I've seen a few of these greedy types struck down here lately.. Hopefully it'll catch on..

Myself I'd use the GM part...

John

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
In a former live ( 10 years ago ) I use to order the parts for fuel pumps for AC Spark Plug / Delphi . We Build all the fuel pumps for GM . I took a BMW Pump in ( for a K 100 ), & had a friend who worked on testing pumps check it out . The BMW pump will put out a little more pressure & a little more GPM then some of the GM pumps ...It was around the same flow as the pumps for a full sized GM car .... Anyway ...the fuel pressure regulator our bikes cut it back ...So I think most any pump you put in there will work ... But what do I know...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Replaced the pump in my wife's '04 Grand Am. Best price I could get was through my son in law who works for a Ford dealership. The genuine article from GM with the dealer discount was just over $194. This was less than I could find aftermarket parts for in the local area. Gone are the days when you removed 2 bolts and slid the old FP out the side of the block and slapped a new one in its place for $25.

The reverse engineered pump from Beemer Boneyard looks like the way to go. Now, if they only made clutches, final drives ..................

Loren

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Every fuel injection system I have ever seen runs on about 50 PSI unless it's a diesel system or something unusual like a race engine. My belief is that if you can connect the wiring properly and make the connections fit, any pump you can buy will work. Flow rate is pretty small even at full throttle when you average 40+ MPG. I can't imagine finding a pump too small to feed a normal motorcycle based upon flow rate as long as the pressure rating exceeds 50 PSI. Here's one option. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATX-E8445/

·
Registered
61 Posts
I dont know the part no. but know for a fact that some mustang pump will work quite well on the older k bikes. May want to search some bmw forums.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
Rover dealer wanted $600.00 for a Discovery fuel pump. I ended up replacing it with a $115.00 (with tax) GM pump. Worked great!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
wa1200lt said:
$600.00 for a fuel pump! Yikes!!!

Loren
And not just a pump...a British electric pump no less...

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
You cheap bastards.

I wouldn't THINK of replacing the fuel pump in my Lamborghini with anything other than an OEM replacement.

·
Registered
832 Posts
...for the same reason that a new ABS booster/modulator (whics I need for my GSA) costs $2400.00.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts