BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As much as I am trying to love my new (used) K1200LTe, there are too many things that simply suck about this bike.

The luggage is a joke and holds only half of my previous bike (3 Givi 46L cases).
The stock seat is just ok and I still have to try the Corbin yet.
The fairing supposedly has a vibration problem on the right side.
Torx... enough said.
Throttle with the new cable upgrade is still hard on the hands and wrist.
The side kickstand is a sadistic joke and you can't park in 50% of parking lots or shoulders.
The center stand and that plate... both are coming off as I am sick of bottoming out already.
The oil filter and changing it is also of poor design (so I've heard).
The spark plugs are on the left side so that when you park it on the sidestand, it smokes on start up?

The only sweet thing about the bike seems to be that it is in fact, a BMW and people get excited in seeing one? Oh, that and the very decent fuel mileage.

Ok, I am done ranting. Hopefully nobody takes it personal as I am simply stating a fact by way of the bike I was use to riding for many years. To each their own as they say. It looks like a new bike is in my near future.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Sell it and move on if you don't like it. Most of this you could have found out before purchasing and saved yourself the headache, and the complaining.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the bike. :confused:

This is my first bike, so I don´t have so much experience how other bikes has it with oil change etc but I´m quit sure that every bike can make you love her and hate her! It´s your choice how you choose... :bike:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Yep! Plenty of bikes out there that might be better suited for you. The LT certainly isn't for everyone. Go back to what you had and be happy! Life is too short to be miserable on a Beemer! 50% of the parking lots? I've yet to find a parking lot where I couldn't find a place to safely park the LT. I have come across a few parking places that weren't suitable but never a whole lot.

Loren

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Jack
no one will take it personal, oh all right someone will.... to me it just sounds like you have a couple of issues that need sorting and they are mostly all fixable, you do say it is a used bike,, and sounds like it just needs a bit of care to bring it back. Yep they all smoke if on the side stand the oil passes the rings entering the combustion chamber. embarrassing (maybe) do I care (no). that's why I park it on the "centre stand" that you are going to take off !!!
if you take off the skid plate and hit something hard you will break the gearbox $$$$$ :(
if you park on the side stand always leave it in 1st gear
adjust the suspension up if it is bottoming out or maybe the shocks are done,
When you have put in some miles you will own the beast and I bet then the only thing to do is "buy a bloody trailer" if you are going to carry so much stuff
hope this cheers you up

·
Registered
51 Posts
You should probably buy a Harley Davidson, then all your problems would be solved. Well, maybe not. I'm sure there are plenty of bikes out there that would have much less significant issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
JackConner said:
Hi,

As much as I am trying to love my new (used) K1200LTe, there are too many things that simply suck about this bike.

The luggage is a joke and holds only half of my previous bike (3 Givi 46L cases).

On the other hand you dont have to even WONDER if it will fall off, and not to mention wheres the Goddamned keys to my Givi's.

The stock seat is just ok and I still have to try the Corbin yet.

Different peoples have different design on both arms legs and bottoms. You can hardly expect ANY stock item to fulfill ALL your desires.

The fairing supposedly has a vibration problem on the right side.

SUPPOSEDLY.. Do you, or Don't you have a vibration problem on the right side?

Torx... enough said.

Torx is ment to give you a fairly good hope in not wrecking the screw when you tighten or loosen it. It even gives a good grip on the screw before you insert it at the right location which sometimes are in odd places and angles on the K1200LT

Throttle with the new cable upgrade is still hard on the hands and wrist.

Try a Throttle Rocker or use the Cruisecontrol whenever you can. I myself has artritis in my right hand, most in the wrist. So using the throttle will give me pains in the wrist after only a short time. But after I got the Throttle rocker, those problems arent present anymore.

The side kickstand is a sadistic joke and you can't park in 50% of parking lots or shoulders.

Try an alternative methode of parking the beast. Its not always the first way that is the most obvious to park it.

The center stand and that plate... both are coming off as I am sick of bottoming out already.

OK

The oil filter and changing it is also of poor design (so I've heard).

Not really. Its a bit odd to open the lid beneath the engine to get access to the oilfilter, but on the other hand all the oil is to be changed anyway. Truly its sometimes a minor problem on loosen the oilfilter, but on the other hand its to be changed anyway, so as a last effort you can put a screwdriver through it to take it off that way. Works on cars too. Try it yourself and then give it the final judgement

The spark plugs are on the left side so that when you park it on the sidestand, it smokes on start up?

This is rather easy to avoid, just turn engine off while upright, wait a couple of seconds (remove your gloves for instance) then put it on the sidestand. Smoke is then at no problem for me atleast.

The only sweet thing about the bike seems to be that it is in fact, a BMW and people get excited in seeing one? Oh, that and the very decent fuel mileage.

Ok, I am done ranting. Hopefully nobody takes it personal as I am simply stating a fact by way of the bike I was use to riding for many years. To each their own as they say. It looks like a new bike is in my near future.

Give the bike some time, it will grow on you, or you will grow into it. After all how many bikes are perfect the first time you sat on it? Most or many bikes needs some adjusting or you need to learn the tricks of the trade using it.

Anyway good luck with your future desicion on what bike to have. The good thing is that you hae found this forum, wher you can adress most if not all problems that may occur.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
... and why did you buy it in the first place?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
JackConner said:
Hopefully nobody takes it personal...
:histerica :D :histerica :bmw: :D :histerica :D

I'm going to be watching this thread. This is going to be a good one! :wave

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
No one will take it personal. Because that is what this sport is about, personal choice.

While I don't think the items you list are insurmountable, your choice on what fits you. Some of the major issues with the LT have been solved, resolved, and can be worked around.

IMHO the FD is no longer an issue thanks to Curtis and his "hobby" with FD.

Seems your biggest issue is shocks. I took my stock off at 11,000 miles and been running all Hyper Pro Shocks. They set my bike taller then the almost new OEM. Also you can add oil to the rear adjuster on the shock and that fixes the issue also. Do a search on that topic and you will find the answers.

The seat well they plain suck. Aftermarket is the only way to get it right, or bead rider seats and sheepskin gel butt pads are very nice also

Throttle cables are notorious must replace on older bikes, and if someone tried to "lube" them you are really porked. Only solution is the upgrade to new cables.

Since it sounds like you have an older bike it probably needs maintenance.

Oil system while strange is no big deal and while not handy, it ain't a V-twin so yes you have to get used to wrenching on them.

The screws are what they are, I have had no problems, however there are replacement kits available with allen heads I bought a full kit and have never used them. Well I take that back, the kit has a nice rubber washer on each one so I did replace a few where I thought the washer would deaden vibration.

Fairing rattle or not? Mirror not on all 3 mounts? Winglets vibrating, windshield hitting in full down position? Easy fix to learn Tupperware removal and see what is up?

However if you don't like the bike just sell it and get what calls to you.

Hope you get sorted out.

And welcome no matter which way you go :)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
"Enough said"? You do need to say something.

I do not understand why anyone thinks Torx drives are an issue in any way. Torx (and now Torx Plus) is the latest in a long line of improvements in fastener design.

First was slotted, which should be totally banned from the face of the earth. Slotted drive has absolutely no redeeming quality.

Then square drive, pretty decent, used mostly in woodworking, but making a comeback in such things as deck screws.

Then came Hex Key drive (erroneously called Allen, which is a brand name). That was a huge improvement, used mostly in mechanical items, high strength fasteners.

Torx was invented to improve greatly on Hex Key, and it did. Now Torx is far more common than it was just a few years ago due to it's improved drive torque, resistance to strip out, and possibility to use shallower drive cups in screw heads for equal or better torque than Hex Key with higher screw head strength.

Up until a few years ago, Torx tools were less common, but now are readily available anywhere.

Torx for quite some time was furnished mainly by it's inventor, Camcar division of Textron. Now there are many manufacturers due to the demand by industry for the better fastener. Torx is much better for automated assembly systems.

Inverted Torx is now being used more on larger bolts, a big improvement over Hex Head for many of the same reasons.

I found another nice thing about Torx screws on the LT, on a couple of screws it is hard to get a driver into a screw straight, but you can use the next size down driver (T20 instead of T25) and it will work great at a pretty good angle if you do not need full torque.

Do you not like the fact that you now have to buy a couple of new tools? Or is it the fact that you cannot go to the local hardware store to get replacement screws? To me, neither was a reason to not like the fact that BMW (and many other vehicle manufacturers) now use them for the obvious improvements.

To me, switching Torx fasteners to Hex Key is a downgrade.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
dshealy (snip)........ First was slotted, which should be totally banned from the face of the earth. Slotted drive has absolutely no redeeming quality. (end snip)

Not totally banned. It's a great way to remove a torx drive fastener when the splines strip out. A little Dremel, a little abrasive wheel and voila!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
:histerica :D :histerica :bmw: :D :histerica :D

I wonder what Messy13 Version 1 would say?:D

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
There's something "wrong" with the LT? Dang.. I'm gonna have to start paying attention..

Speaking of "attention".. how about this..

Lose the lumps, not the lesson....

Surely you can learn... if not, enjoy the "braille lumps".

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:

ibbones said:
Probably something much shorter and even kinder. ;)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,172 Posts
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
messenger13_ver2 said:
Probably something much shorter and even kinder. ;)
Yet my mind is filled with doubt..!:think::D

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Vibration? Likely lost the little rubber insulator? Easy to fix. Show me any other bike that has less than ONE vibration?

Torx? They rock! I haven't stripped one out yet.

Oil change? Weird but not insurmountable. At least you don't have to remove the exhaust system like on some.

Skid plate? Thanks BMW for including it. Hit it twice yesterday. Better than the bottom of the motor.

Center stand? Ought to be a law that motorcycles MUST have them. And if you put bike on center stand, alleviates the smoking on startup most every time.

Luggage? Holds plenty. How far are you going anyway? Givi isn't OEm, so I assume you you had to ADD luggage to prev bike. Plenty to choose from there, not so much on touoring bikes in the class of the LT. What 3 others - the Vision, HD, Gold Wing. All similar.

Seat? As good as any other stocker I've sat on for any length and is adjustable for hgt.

There are plenty of great bikes out there. I would love to have another Vstrom fully equipped. But the LT is such a nice bike and it handles so well that I wouldn't give mine up for any of those reasons. Sorry you feel that way.

My gripe would be that shocks and other stuff I'd like to have are so darned expensive after the crappy resale that allowed me to buy the bike cheaply, in the first place. I just hve to wear it out in stock form. Not having much luck there either.... : )

Randy

1 - 20 of 68 Posts