BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the BMW community, just bought an 09 LT 3 weeks ago. But after reading all the post on here Im wondering if I should of stuck with HD. At the top of this page it says JUST RIDE IT, but it should say RIDE IT WHEN YOUR NOT WORKING ON IT.
I have always heard how dependable BMW's are. Have I been misled???

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Doug, WELCOME..... Just take a deep breath and enjoy a very dependable ride. Most of us ride for years without having to make a major repair. The ones you hear about are a very small % and I'll bet that a major % of them are those who are constantly modifying their bike.

I'm sure that there are exceptions, but as an example, my 02 has had 48,000 trouble free miles. (except today a heated handgrip malfunctioning!)

All mechanical things eventually break and require maintenance. THis bike has given me nothing but pleasure and is as dependable as any other bike I've owned. Of course, my facts are anecdotal...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Every owners' forum is full of repair threads; that's the nature of these forums. You post when you need help, not to say, "Hey, everything is perfect!" I don't have personal long-term experience with BMW, as I recently bought my first one. However a big part of that decision was based on owners who enthusiastically say they love theirs and have put on huge miles without issues.

·
Registered
260 Posts
No, you have not been mislead. I came from a 04 RoadKing to my 06 LT. I have just a little over 47,000 miles on the LT and have never had any trouble .I just change fluids and tires and use it just for touring. Relax and enjoy your LT. :dance:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Doug, I wouldn't worry about it. Far more goes right than goes wrong. Had I listened to all the horror stories, I would of not bought my used 03 in 05 and missed out on all the fun of 5 riding seasons. I had one major repair due to a slipping clutch at 60K miles but have never been stranded. Yes, I've had malfunctions like cruise control and flats but it didn't stop a trip. I was stranded on a trip with my car and had to rent a car to continue on. I was also delayed at an airport. We had to get off the plane due to an equipment failure and had to get another flight. So, it can happen to any machine. Learn the bike and have a contingency plan, but don't let it worry you.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
There are a lot of good comments above to help ease your angst. I don't know the statistics as to how many folks we have posting, but I am sure they are on the forum somewhere. We have posts coming in from all over the world so there is a pretty high number. Some of us just like to tinker with our bikes and like myself, ask technical questions. I also think if you look at the number of BMWs with 100k + miles compared to Harleys, there would be no contest.

Welcome to the forum, check in often and ask anything that comes into your mind. Enjoy riding your new Beemer :bmw:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ride the big girl on some long trips and don't worry about everything you read here. But feel confident that what ever help you'll ever need can be found here. I 've had my Y2K LT on many 2 up loaded trips and never a problem. I used to read a lot of the problems here and still do but I don't worry at all when I take a big or little trip. The LT has earned my confidence. Some people on this site are a little over the top on the maint but that's just a chrysler auto techs opinion.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Almost 2.5 years of owning my 2005 LT and I only had one problem. Went on a ride and the battery went dead. Came back 30 minutes later and it started. Replaced the battery and regular service (tires, brakes, etc.) and that's it for me. But there is no doubt some of the things on this bike are very expensive if they fail.

On another note I had a brand new 2006 HD Ultra. IT was my dream bike that I waited 50 years to own. I had nothing but problems and frustration from the day I bought it. Thousands of dollars and more grief than I care to remember and I finally got rid of it. In fact the LT replaced the HD.

Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
51 Posts
My first LT has 92,000 and has had only regular maintenance and wear items, brakes, tires, etc., but never a mechanical failure. I am on my second LT with 17, 000 which has so far needed, well, nothing but gas. I must be one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No need to worry, I rode HD's for years and now have a LT. Have always done my own maintenance and repairs have found both to be reliable. Just remember in a forum people only comment on problems. If you go to a Harley forum people will complain about drive belts exploding, oil leaks, blown tranny's, cam tensioner failures and more. I personally never saw any major problems with mine or any of my buddies bikes.

Just hop on and enjoy the ride.

Bob

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
I rode 37,467 trouble free miles on mine this year. My LT now has 129,102 miles and it has not stranded me anywhere. Most of the time I follow the recommended maintenance. My air & gas filter have about 55,000 miles on them now :) & I waited until all the valves were tight before I adjusted any of them :yeah: Right now I'm adding up all of my receipts for the year & I'll post them later tonight..

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
DigDug68 said:
Im new to the BMW community, just bought an 09 LT 3 weeks ago. But after reading all the post on here Im wondering if I should of stuck with HD. At the top of this page it says JUST RIDE IT, but it should say RIDE IT WHEN YOUR NOT WORKING ON IT.
I have always heard how dependable BMW's are. Have I been misled???
I don't think you have been misled, but I think there are a few things to keep in mind:

1. I suspect the average BMW gets ridden a LOT more than the average HD. So, the failures per unit time will seem to be much higher, but the real metric that matters is failures per mile. I suspect BMW is pretty competitive in that regard.

2. The BMW does require more maintenance than other bikes I've owned, especially compared to my Voyager XII which had hydraulic lifters, etc., that removed many maintenance chores.

3. The LT is a fully faired bike and they are a pain to work on. My Voyager was that way and so are Gold Wings. Most HDs have less fairing protection so they are probably easier to work on. But the price is less weather protection while riding. You make the call as to which you prefer - less protection ALL the time or a couple extras hours of work every 12,000 miles for maintenance.

4. The LT does have an achilles heel or two as to many bikes. The FD, engine and tranny seals and clutch slave cylinder seem the dominant ones. My Voyager XII had igniter and fuel pump issues, though neither afflicted mine in the 46,000 miles I owned it. What got me away from the Voyager was, of all things, two FD failures in the time I owned it. So, I bought an LT and then learned of its FD issues... I just can't win. :)

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
While I have not read the responses, this type of thread comes up every so often on the forum. Suffice to say, like many other brands there are design flaws and maintenance (or lack of!) issues that only compound as time goes by. The main difference that I see between a HD and our bike, is the temperament.

LT's are a lot like women, and like attention. They get prissy when you do not spend time on them. Check your maintenance (flowers, diamonds, tire pressure etc.) items regularly and you will get laid every time you take her out. Whereas if you do not you, will be out in the garage attempting to make it up to her! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the replies but as a Truck Mechanic I know all about preventive maintenance. But I also know when a fleet of trucks of the same brand all have common mechanical failures there are design flaws that the manufacturer should address and remedy them. Kinda like the final drive failures and trunk latches. Trunk latches should be the last thing anyone should have to worry about and instead of BMW coming up with a solution I see an aftermarket company did.

·
Registered
89 Posts
IMHO, the dealer network (or lack thereof) is a root cause of dissatisfaction with BMW bikes. If one does not live relatively close to a competent dealer then even a minor problem can become a major irritant. Add a plague of recalls and this compounds the issue.

This is also true if you break down at a distance from a dealer. Harley's and many Japanese brands do not have this limitation because they seemingly have dealers in every town of any size. Also, BMW is a leader in electronic technology, but the flip side is that requires superb technical training and support to its dealer network, which is difficult to accomplish.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I bought an 05 LT in October 2010 with 14K. Just over a year of riding the clock is at 44,000. Yep, I am retired and do a lot of riding.

Maint items: tires, tires, tires, and -fluid changes, filters, and brake flush. No mechanical failures except a clogged fuel cannister, which was caused by me over filling the fuel tank.

It is the best bike I have ever owned..... and I have owned a bunch of em. Wouldn't trade it for any other bike at this point.

Enjoy :)

Chris Ogle

·
Registered
929 Posts
DigDug68 said:
Thanks for all of the replies but as a Truck Mechanic I know all about preventive maintenance. But I also know when a fleet of trucks of the same brand all have common mechanical failures there are design flaws that the manufacturer should address and remedy them. Kinda like the final drive failures and trunk latches. Trunk latches should be the last thing anyone should have to worry about and instead of BMW coming up with a solution I see an aftermarket company did.
Well, sometimes even this forum and all of it's great riders and minds cannot relieve the worries of everyone. If the trunk latch is that big of an issue...as suggested above...perhaps it's time to sell.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cwo said:
I bought an 05 LT in October 2010 with 14K. Just over a year of riding the clock is at 44,000. Yep, I am retired and do a lot of riding.

Maint items: tires, tires, tires, and -fluid changes, filters, and brake flush. No mechanical failures except a clogged fuel cannister, which was caused by me over filling the fuel tank.

It is the best bike I have ever owned..... and I have owned a bunch of em. Wouldn't trade it for any other bike at this point.

Enjoy :)

Chris Ogle
On here is the first I heard about not overfilling the tank. So is there some principal to go by when filling up?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts