BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears the R18 is selling as well as I expected it would. I just got a card from my “local” dealer offering 1.9% APR + $3,000 cash back + 3 months of payments (up to $1,000 total for the three) on new 2022 R18s … the BMW that answers a question nobody asked.

I really would like a new two-up touring bike, but nothing catches my fancy. I just completed a 2,500 tour of the northeast and my LT is performing better than ever at just shy of 99,000 miles. I guess I will run it until the next major failure and then buy a Miata for touring and ride my KLR650 for local back road rides and maybe buy a mid-size street bike for the wife and I to take on short weekend trips.

Too bad nobody makes a modern bike designed for long distance two-up touring.

·
Registered
153 Posts
...Too bad nobody makes a modern bike designed for long distance two-up touring.
Umm, Goldwing? K1600 LT? Numerous Harley-Davidsons, although if they fit the definition of "modern" is certainly up for discussion. Certainly newer RT's would fit the bill. You think the R18 would be comfortable for touring? I have only sat on one and didn't think it would be right for me. I think they have a pretty small tank as well. Don't be sucked in by the deal on a bike you don't really want.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Umm, Goldwing? K1600 LT? Numerous Harley-Davidsons, although if they fit the definition of "modern" is certainly up for discussion. Certainly newer RT's would fit the bill. You think the R18 would be comfortable for touring? I have only sat on one and didn't think it would be right for me. I think they have a pretty small tank as well. Don't be sucked in by the deal on a bike you don't really want.
I’ve posted my test ride reviews of these in the past, but to recap very briefly and with the new information from BMW on service literature…

Gold Wing - crappy seats, small luggage, small fuel tank, lousy Nav system. Seats can be fixed, Garmin nav can be added, and luggage can be fixed with Corbin parts, but fuel tank is tougher. I ride often with a Gold Wing now and I am generally not even down to 1/4 tank on the LT when the Wing needs fuel. However, if I had to buy a touring bike tomorrow, the Wing would be my choice and I’d spend the $4,000 to replace the seats, buy the Corbin parts, buy a GPS, etc.

BMWs are no longer an option as I won’t buy a bike where I can’t get factory service manuals. My nearest dealer is 141 miles away so depending on a dealer for repairs is simply not an option. So, BMW’s new policy has lost me as a repeat customer.

I would rather drive a Miata than ride an air-cooled V-twin which rules out the Yamaha Transcontinental (plus its a pig at 900 lbs), Harleys and Indians. Now if Harley would build a luxury touring bike around their new Revolution Max engine….

I have no interest at all in an R18. I thought my post made that pretty clear. Even though I don’t care much for the GA styling, that was my first choice for a replacement this year until I read the BMWMOA ON magazine article about the new service manual policy.

Hopefully, I can keep the LT going another 10 years and then I will likely be done with heavy bike touring (will be 73 then) and a Miata or similar will be the next best thing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, sounds like the LT is the bike for you. Ride it til it’s worn out! BTW, I have a Miata, and while it is a lot of fun for short canyon rides, it gets tiring on a long trip, especially as one ages ( I am 70). I have driven down CA Hwy1 from SF to LA, and had a pretty sore back at the end of a long day. I think I would have been happier on the RT! But I love it for shorter jaunts. Good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, sounds like the LT is the bike for you. Ride it til it’s worn out! BTW, I have a Miata, and while it is a lot of fun for short canyon rides, it gets tiring on a long trip, especially as one ages ( I am 70). I have driven down CA Hwy1 from SF to LA, and had a pretty sore back at the end of a long day. I think I would have been happier on the RT! But I love it for shorter jaunts. Good luck with your search.
Yes, that is my conclusion as well. As long as it stays reliable, Are you more sore in the Miata than on the LT?

Reactions: CaliCruiser

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I used to own a Miata, a 1997 issue. It was a great car, really lite. Mine had a removable hardtop which was a good thing in the winter that we have in the NW. Low to the ground getting in and out. I suspect you could find a used one that you like fairly easy when the hunt is on. Maybe even buy it before your motorcycle dies.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to own a Miata, a 1997 issue. It was a great car, really lite. Mine had a removable hardtop which was a good thing in the winter that we have in the NW. Low to the ground getting in and out. I suspect you could find a used one that you like fairly easy when the hunt is on. Maybe even buy it before your motorcycle dies.
I’ve heard great things about the Miata and they seem to be excellent values. I’ve never driven one so maybe the low to the ground would be an issue when I get too old to hold up the LT. I will have to try one and see. We have pretty good winters here in PA so I would be looking at a Miata as a three season car, much like my motorcycles. I have an SUV and truck for winter as my driveway requires AWD/4WD at least three months of the year.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
I’ve heard great things about the Miata and they seem to be excellent values.
I bought a MB 450SL when a doctor told me not to ride anymore after I had a kidney removed.Then, I gave my two bikes to a friend. Turns out not riding was hogwash... I loved driving the SL... it's a lot bigger than a Miata. Fast, and dependable... like a boat. My wife hated it! I gave it to a friend of mine when I got the LT, and also the Harley. I hope to ride them for a lot of years!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I sold my GS (because I'm old an brittle :) ) and purchased a 2013RT, which is about 300 lbs lighter weight than the 00 LT. Took her out last week for a 100 mile local run to keep it "limbered" up!! I'd forgotten how smooth, quiet, and well that old "fat lady" can handle. The RT is VERY nice and much lighter, but the LT is still an awesome ride!! Like some of you I've tried the newer BMW's "meh"! I'll keep the LT and ride both! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
So here in my part of Canuckistan, the stealer is offering $6000 off the 2022 R18B ($32110-6000=$26110) and R18 Transcontinental ($34480-6000=$28480). So, last year's models.
I've never seen sales like that on BMW's before. Why do I get the impression they are trying to put a shine on a turd.
Has anyone else got firsthand experiences to share?

• Love
Reactions: CaliCruiser

·
Registered
K1200LT 2005
377 Posts
So here in my part of Canuckistan, the stealer is offering $6000 off the 2022 R18B ($32110-6000=$26110) and R18 Transcontinental ($34480-6000=$28480). So, last year's models.
I've never seen sales like that on BMW's before. Why do I get the impression they are trying to put a shine on a turd.
Has anyone else got firsthand experiences to share?
I test rode several of the R18 models when factory had demos. Nice machines. Well executed. Not my style, but fun if I wanted to make a short trip in good weather.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
"Nice machines. Well executed. Not my style, but fun if I wanted to make a short trip in good weather."

That is exactly what I say about my Harley... the longest trip was 1k miles.

On my LT I have taken an over 7.5k trip this summer and I would have gone another 1k if I could have found a front tire.

Tires seem to be the only issue with the LT.

I am thinking about an upgrade but, so far I have not found one!

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
129 Posts
I’ve posted my test ride reviews of these in the past, but to recap very briefly and with the new information from BMW on service literature…

Gold Wing - crappy seats, small luggage, small fuel tank, lousy Nav system. Seats can be fixed, Garmin nav can be added, and luggage can be fixed with Corbin parts, but fuel tank is tougher. I ride often with a Gold Wing now and I am generally not even down to 1/4 tank on the LT when the Wing needs fuel. However, if I had to buy a touring bike tomorrow, the Wing would be my choice and I’d spend the $4,000 to replace the seats, buy the Corbin parts, buy a GPS, etc.
Previous owner of the latest gen Wing. I disagree with most every point listed. Buy it, ride, enjoy it.
The Nav system is leagues better than the Connected App solution on the BMW. As an added bonus, you can update your bike yourself via a USB.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts