BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know BMW has to state for legal reasons that you cannot ride with a drink in their cupholder. My question is: Can you safely ride while carrying a mug in the cup holder? Is it strictly a straightaway convenience or twisties too?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have had no problems with mugs, just be sure you get one that fits well. I have had near empty water bottles float away with no dangerous side effects. I suppose if you bounced a bottle off a hot tempered drivers car it could start a road rage issue.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Nah, works fine, did a month on the road with a mug there the whole time.
Empty plastic bottles do blow out.

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
nevada said:
.... Is it strictly a straightaway convenience or twisties too?
If it fits well, then twisties are not a problem. When I'm using a Gatorade plastic bottle and it's empty I'll slide it into my coat to make sure it doesn't pop out and make me a litterer. The bottle either doesn't have cap, or I've cut a straw hole in the cap, so if I should crash against it there shouldn't be too much resistance.....knock on wood. ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
i've had a styrofoam cup--empty except for some tobaccy juice and a cud or two in it and have been on the expressway at about 80 with it. it's ridden pretty well the whole way and it's about the lightest thing i can imagine sitting in there next to an empty plastic water bottle....

I suppose if this cup-o-gross-juice flies off--especially on a warm day when car windows might be all the way down--i'll have some exciting evasion maneuvers to perform as i race to avoid tobacco-spit covered homicidal maniacs, but so far, it hasn't budged.....
:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts