BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do ya'll do about the antennas when using the official BMW bike cover? I would think that even BMW knows that the K1200LT comes with at least one antenna that doesn't fold down. You would think sense they know that, their official cover would be made for that.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Boy I'm stupid yea me! Once I figured out the little clear window is for the plate & not the windshield I found the neat little vecro flaps for the antennas. Like I said, dem BMW people is smart yea!

·
Registered
740 Posts
You figured it out, but it's still a big PITA. I've gotten to where I don't even try to use a full cover anymore for that reason. On the road I use the half cover from E-Z Touring which so far satisfies my needs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I do the same thing as Al. My EZ Touring half cover is in the right saddlebag all the time; my big full-size BMW cover stays in the garage unused.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Rubber Antenna Tips

Use care in putting the BMW cover on and taking it off of the antennas. I pulled one of the rubber tips off the radio antenna never to see it again.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a half cover from my wing that I use when traveling. As far as the antenna tips, I lost one of them before the cover.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought a cheap full cover off of e-bay and cut a little hole and put a brass grommet there that slips down over the antenna.
Works Great
My Rubber tip was gone when I bought the bike and I think I can live without it and not poke my eye out.

·
Registered
272 Posts
TomMoss said:
Use care in putting the BMW cover on and taking it off of the antennas. I pulled one of the rubber tips off the radio antenna never to see it again.
There are rubber tips for the antenna?!?

Not on mine...guess they were lost before I purchased the bike...

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Friend of mine wuz missing the tip from his antenna - axed the dealership about replacing it and wuz quoted 5 bucks for the leetle thang!! Ended up pushing a small dia. shrink tubing over the tip and used a cig. lighter to shrink it in place. Kept him from stabbing his cover when installing.

I glued mine on after temporarily loosing it in the gearage oncet. Still there after 5 years. YMMV.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Full Cover access for antennas

:)
I posted this on this site already, but for a different reason.

I cut two small holes in the full cover for my Trike, then glued two 4" rubber discs (1/8' thick), one on either side (total of 4 discs, two for each hole). I didn't let the glue dry long enough on one, so it doesn't look as professional as it should, but it still works fine.

I cut two slits in each disc and mounted them offset so that the slits don't line up. Keeps the moisture out better. I do have to be careful not to pull the little rubber tips off when I remove the cover, but that's a small price to pay. Since I drive my trike to work every day, I like to have it completely covered to prevent some of the sun/wind/rain/ice etc damage. So far, it has been very satisfactory. It takes about 5 minutes to cover the bike and another 5 to remove it. Ok, so it's not convenient always, but hey, I'm trying to keep it nice. Too many bucks invested to just let the elements beat on it unabated.

I also had the clear plastic shields installed like on my 4Runner. Makes it easier to remove the bugs when washing and the rocks/bugs don't put as many dings in the paint now.
:D
Here's are some pics showing the rubber discs on my cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
I bought a cheaper cover off ebay and had my wife sew a couple of velcro flaps on it once I determined where they should go. Works great. Oh yeah, I lost one of those damn tips too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
An easier solution is to just remove the radio antenna and replace it with a Hide-A-Way powered antenna. While you're under the trunk installing the new antenna, do the canisterectomy and install and air compressor. I cover my bike every night and while it is parked all day (I ride daily to work). If you need more, PM me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm with you Dave. I Removed that damn antenna and installed the hide-away. Also chucked the canister and installed an Air compressor. Much easier getting covers on and off these days! I listen to XM or the IPOD and haven't thought about listining to the radio even though the Hide-away provides nearly the same reception.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey guys......all of you with 05's can take the antenna off in 30 seconds or less. Twist the plastic base cover a quarter turn counterclockwise. Take the little plastic circular wrench that came with your bike, slip it over the antenna base nut, loosen and remove. Dick

·
Registered
189 Posts
What do you do with the antennas?

You wrote:
Hey guys......all of you with 05's can take the antenna off in 30 seconds or less. Twist the plastic base cover a quarter turn counterclockwise. Take the little plastic circular wrench that came with your bike, slip it over the antenna base nut, loosen and remove. Dick

But where do you put the antennas once you remove them. I did that once. Never again.:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
What do you do with the antennas?

You wrote:
An easier solution is to just remove the radio antenna and replace it with a Hide-A-Way powered antenna. While you're under the trunk installing the new antenna, do the canisterectomy and install and air compressor. I cover my bike every night and while it is parked all day (I ride daily to work). If you need more, PM me.

Do they make a hide away for the CB antenna?
Hal

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
In my opinion, you DON'T want a hide-a-way antenna for a CB. To much to interfer with the outbound transmission and I don't know that you could get a SWR low enough that you would have good effective radiated signal.

JM2CW.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just bend mine over when putting the full cover over the bike. In fact this helps from keeping the water from pudding if it rains.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Thanks Don you reminded me, that I bend the antenna over and stick then end through one of the top bag strap slots when we work on Red Rover at Rehder's LT Resort. And all I have right now is the radio antenna.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Hated dealing with that stupid 10-foot whip antenna from a 1983 GMC Astro95...so I installed a Hide-Away powered antenna. The LT looks much cleaner...and I don't have to deal with it when covering the bike. Nor do I have to worry about getting my eyes poked-out by it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts